Car rental at San Juan (PR) pier?

We're headed out to San Juan in a a few weeks. When our ship returns, we've got a day and a half before we fly out.

I'd really like to rent a car at/by the pier (cheaply) and be able to return it to the airport the next day.

Anyone know if this is possible? Any of the companies accomodate this?

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend driving in San Juan. We have rented cars and driven in Mexico a bunch of times. It was never a problem. However the drivers in San Juan are scary. Prior to our trip, a Puerto Rican friend of mine told me that drivers drive on the sidewalk. I thought she was joking, but she's not. Also, the traffic signs are in Spanish.

Wanting to head out to El Yunque (since last time, just as we were pulling in, I went into premature labor - not a good time to go strolling in the woods , lol) and play out east there. Then we'd drive in right before our flight home.

Wonder if the driving's as bad as Rome? They're nutsos! LOL

So anyway, I've reserved with Charlie's. Anyone use them before?

Hi! We just got back from P.R. We go about every 2 years as DH's family is from there. The drivers ARE crazy! Not only are the signs in Spanish, but they are not well marked either. Also, because af rapid growth, sometimes the way they had to route the roads and highways in town is rather counter-intuitive. I have been 7 or 8 times now and have not driven (or wanted to drive) once. DH grew up and learned to drive there and he does all our driving. If you REALLY want to drive I would suggest taking the shuttle to the airport and renting a car there. The airport is towards El Yunque and its a much more staightforward approach from there, you will avoid the more congested and confusing parts of the drive. I think you only have to make one turn off from the "highway" if you leave from the airport. Note, it is not really a highway, there are lots of lights. IF you decide to drive, there is an AWESOME beach on your way there or back - Luquillo. Lots of food near the beach too. They look like a row of garages, but are actually food stands just outside the entrance to the beach. Lots of coconut candies and fresh fritters. We have never had any problems with the food even if the booths look questionable, the fritters are awesome! My favorite is the bacalaito. Also note, the road up to the rainforest is narrow and winding and usually pretty busy. There are more fritter stands and souvenier stands (that also look questionable) on the way up. The food is always good. We have stopped at many of these and never gotten sick - even feed this stuff to the kiddos. DH's favorite fritter is the crab or lobster fritter, those are better down by the beach though - they put more stuffing in down there. Hope this helps. I am all for seeing a place on your own and we have rented and driven around ourselves everywhere we go. I would easily say PR driving is the craziest, with Argentina coming in a close second. Just be careful. If you are not sure they see you (meaning actual eye contact) then they don't. They make an effort not to see people trying to pull into traffic, its almost an art form. Just be very careful.

Cruz'n Mommy

I would try Charlie Car Rental (charliecars.com). They have a shuttle at the ship and then you can drop the car off at the airport. There prices are pretty comparable to the other agencies that you have to take a taxi to the airport to get.

you might be able to get a tour from san juan. I went to PR last summer and it was crazy driving. Thankfully i'm a seasoned new yorker and know a little defensive driving....! There are seriouly no driving rules in PR.... everyone does what they want! Left turns from the right..... driving on the sidewalk.... once a car was driving backward so fast it took me a few mins to realize what had just happened! Not to mention the condition of the roads.... i bottomed out my rental car SOOO many times! My bf's grandmother told us not to drive after midnight because the cops dont enforce traffic lights!

I agree with HMcruze you need to go to Luquillo beach! THe food is WONDERFUL...dont forget the pina colatas! with or without rum.

There is a food hut at the bottom of the el Yunque mountain.... You'll see a lot of people out side with coconut drinks. Its a must stop! (skip the coconut because its just coconut water and not sweet like you would think.)

• 12 years later...

Have rented cars a few times in San Juan. My experience is roads and drivers in San Juan better than most Caribbean island.

Unfortunately can't help with this as rentals have always been at the airport.