Progreso Beaches Compared to Galveston

stephuney

If someone has been to both Galveston and Progreso, I would like your opinion on the Progreso beaches compared to Galveston. Please, I am not interested in anyone else's opinion if you havent been to both beaches.

I am trying to relate comments I read about Progreso beaches to Galveston - and when I see pics of the Progreso Beaches, they look so much nicer than Galveston. I know that Progreso is still in the Gulf and not as beautiful as the Caribbean. But what I am trying to understand is the beach benchmark that these comments are made against ... are these comments from people that have seen other yucky beaches like Galveston? Or are they from people that have only seen the Caribbean or Florida?

To me, the pictures of Progreso Beach look much nicer than Galveston, even though it may not be clear like the Caribbean. Even on Google Earth, there is a huge difference in the way the water looks in Progreso compared to Galveston.

So, if you have been to both Progreso and Galveston ... how does Progreso Beach stack up against Galveston? Same? Better? I am hard pressed to believe it is worse ...

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Been to both.. in fact, both several times. Both have sand. Both have water. Both are on the Gulf. :D

I would rate Progreso as a better beach.... although I would rate neither as a "great" beach.

At Progreso, you can sit right on the beach, they will come by and serve drinks and food, and you can even get a massage.

On the flip side, they don't (won't) give you much peace and quiet. You will have people trying to sell you something every 10 minutes.

As a side note... you can get a GREAT 1 hour massage for $10 - $15..... but wait until the cruise is close to leaving. Prices start high when the ship docks, and steadily go down the closer it gets to sail time.

Progreso is definitley better than Galveston. The times we've been there the water was greenish and not at all unpleasant. Seems to me as though everytime we returned the beach there looks a little better than the time before. Perhaps the town is trying to spruce up its beaches to appeal to more travelers. I'm adding some photos that were taken at Progreso in May 2011.

206356_10150160168324635_606454634_6842909_5669431_n.jpg.83945dd7fa01733d317980e28307eb64.jpg

207422_10150160437829635_606454634_6845900_1116365_n.jpg.a0e90fb6b0927473e42a55910fedfcc5.jpg

207558_10150160176399635_606454634_6842993_6604616_n.jpg.8cc12988f00ab9c460ae2d91afae340c.jpg

Been to both.. in fact, both several times. Both have sand. Both have water. Both are on the Gulf. :D

I would rate Progreso as a better beach.... although I would rate neither as a "great" beach.

At Progreso, you can sit right on the beach, they will come by and serve drinks and food, and you can even get a massage.

On the flip side, they don't (won't) give you much peace and quiet. You will have people trying to sell you something every 10 minutes.

As a side note... you can get a GREAT 1 hour massage for $10 - $15..... but wait until the cruise is close to leaving. Prices start high when the ship docks, and steadily go down the closer it gets to sail time.

I forgot to add that the vendors do not leave you alone. We have solved that in the past by walking down the beach until we got to a spot where they didn't bother us. This is my main drawback to Progreso, not the physical appearance of the beach. When we go back this May we are taking an AutoProgreso excursion to the Yucatan Reef Club (private beach resort) to see what that is like.

Archived