Again, another question about Tips

mastersyl

Leaving from Barcelona this summer with RCCL and not sure I understand the tipping process when you board on.

Do you tip when you give your luggage before embarking or when you receive it in your room or you tip twice?

And do you tip just so the guy will take your luggage to put it (from what I have read) on the conveyor belt? :confused:

You probably won't see the person who delivers the bags to your cabin...and no tip is needed, even if you do see them.

You generally tip the person who TAKES your bag when you arrive at port...at least, here, in the States! $1-2 per bag is the norm.

That is the only person you need to tip as far as bags are concerned....

The tip people mention for people who handle luggage as $1 - $2 has been the rate people have 'said' for about 35 years. It's time to raise it a bit.

If we have three bags, we tip the person who takes the luggage at the curb when we arrive at the dock at least $10.

The tip people mention for people who handle luggage as $1 - $2 has been the rate people have 'said' for about 35 years. It's time to raise it a bit.

If we have three bags, we tip the person who takes the luggage at the curb when we arrive at the dock at least $10.

That is in the states, however in Europe people do not tip the way people in the States have been trained to do. In many places in Europe, no tip is expected. I'm not positive about this particular venue.

As for the comment about $1-2 being too little a tip for the person who takes the luggage at the curb, I'm one of those who is of the opinion that maybe a tip isn't needed at all if all they do is take the bag you have already unloaded from and put it on a cart. If they have to do extra work, maybe, but from what I understand tipping at the port is completely optional. On my last trip in Miami, the porter at the actual port didn't take it at the actual curb, we got it out of the van and took it over to him where he had the cart. I'm not paying for nothing.

Sylvain, we sailed out of Barcelona last summer on RCI. The port workers there are not employees of the cruise line, and yes, we tipped them because we feel it is the right thing to do. It's true they are not accustomed to receiving tips in Europe, nor did most people expect them - to us, that doesn't mean we are not going to tip for services rendered.

We had two bags, we tipped him 5 Euros. He was thrilled with that. Once onboard the ship, your luggage will be delivered to your room by an RCI employee and they are pretty stealth.... we have rearely seen them delivering the bags.

I hope you are spending time in Barcelona either before or after your cruise... it is a magnificent city! Have fun.

That is in the states, however in Europe people do not tip the way people in the States have been trained to do. In many places in Europe, no tip is expected. I'm not positive about this particular venue.

When we left from Rome (well Civi.... whatever that big word is :D ) I gave my DH money to give the porter. We arrive in the car and started unloading and my DH kept the money in his hand instead of passing it over. As I finished up with my tour guide I realized that the porter was waiting for his tip before he took our suitcases. A dirty look to my DH had him handing it over before the bags made their way to the ship. So, it was definitely expected there.

For somethings in Europe tipping is expected, the big differences imo are the amount and the expectancy to tip, all be it a lot lower, even if you get poor service.

I believe people in the USA are pretaxed on tips (is that true) where as we are not in Europe, not in the UK anyway.

These people are union employees who are paid good wages. Although no tip is warranted, due to custom only a minimal tip should be offered. Please do not inflate their expectations. $2 per bag is more than reasonable.

Highly doubt the rate was $1-$2/bag 35 years ago. The minimum wage was $1.60/hr.

Archived