Debit card with not ATM/transaction fees?

We will be using our debit card to obtain foreign currency and we will be charged for using a foreign ATM. Looking for a bank that doesn't charge this type of fee. It's convenient to use our own bank because we can transfer money in and out of the debit account but would like to avoid these additional fees.

We will be using our debit card to obtain foreign currency and we will be charged for using a foreign ATM. Looking for a bank that doesn't charge this type of fee. It's convenient to use our own bank because we can transfer money in and out of the debit account but would like to avoid these additional fees.

I have never heard of a 3rd party that doesn't charge some type of transaction fee. Why would they let you use their location/machine for free?

Edited by sapete
Added content

• 1 month later...

We have a Capital One account that we use for traveling. There are no foreign transaction fees, they do not charge in-network ATM fees, and they reimburse all out-of-network ATM fees up to $20 (?) per month. It's an online bank only, but you can easily make a transfer from your own bank. We had no trouble whatsoever finding ATMs to use throughout Europe and the UK and never paid a fee. However, we have had this account for a few years, so I'm not sure what types of accounts they offer nowadays. But, you should definitely look into it. We also have their cc with no foreign transaction fees and have had no issues with that either.

CapitalOne360 itself doesn't charge an ATM fee, the only fee you'd pay is if the ATM charges one. We used our CapitalOne360 atm/debit card (originally ING Direct Electric Orange checking, before they were bought) in Europe. I read that ATM's from banks don't charge a fee and that was what we found too. Worked out perfect, no fees at all and got the bank exchange rate - the rate on xe.com.

You can link the CapitalOne360 account to your existing checking account and only transfer into it the money you'd like to access for traveling.

• 2 weeks later...

It will vary depending on where you are and what machine you happen to be using. I found some ATMs in Spain that wanted to charge me a transaction fee, but when I used the machine down the block from another bank, there was no additional transaction fee. Then, in a different town, I used an ATM from that first bank, and there was no transaction fee. Moral of the story: it may pay to try machines from different banks.

My own bank account does not charge a fee for using foreign ATMs (a preq of my type of account).

Since you must have the funds in your account, just bring the cash you need! No fees, no muss, no fuss.

off topic, but what bank do you use that provides foreign currency without a fee? every one i found had at least a small fee attached. (which is why we used the ATM's instead) thanks!

Since you must have the funds in your account, just bring the cash you need! No fees, no muss, no fuss.

No muss, no fuss, but an increased risk of losing a lot of money to a pickpocket or mugger. Ten bucks in fees is worth it to me in order to not carry around that much cash. YMMV.

• 1 month later...

I travel internationally a lot and I never carry more than $100 (or the international equivalent) on me at any given time. This way, if I get robbed, I don't sweat it at all. I use the Charles Schwab ATM card which charges no ATM fees and reimburses anything a 3rd party will charge. I usually get $20-$50 out for a day and hit up the ATM everyday when I am abroad. I am currently on a 7 month international trip so that is a ton of ATM transactions.

While broad, I only get money at bank ATMs (but they are everywhere) and have only been charged a fee (which Schwab reimbursed) twice in Ukraine. I have been charged fees in the US a lot, especially in Las Vegas where the fee was like $8 per transaction! I got reimbursed every time without question.

For credit card, I use Capital One abroad. Same story, no foreign transaction fees.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Schwab online banking. We recently opened an account for an overseas trip to Ireland. They do not have foreign ATM fees and reimburse any fees set by the other bank. Also they have the pin and chip which is a must if you cruise to Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums