Do You Often See Price Drops After Final Payment For Cruises?

dongordon

Do cruise price drops usually take place after the final payment date?

I realize it depends on the cruise and the capacity of the ship, but does it often occur then or is the decision made before the final payment date?

Don

Do cruise price drops usually take place after the final payment date?

I realize it depends on the cruise and the capacity of the ship, but does it often occur then or is the decision made before the final payment date?

Don

I can see how it might be difficult to get a good answer to your question.

The vast majority of people only pay attention to the price of the one cruise on which they happen to be booked...so without direct knowledge of the price fluctuations of all of the other cruises, they really can't say whether drops happen "often".

For example, I am watching the pricing on two cruises...both of which I'm booked on...and I can tell you the pricing has gone WAAAAAAYYYY up from the price when I booked. Based on that observation, I could say the price "never" goes down...but that really wouldn't be accurate. :o

I don't usually monitor price drops after I make final payment. NCL, is not under obligation to do anything after final payment is made.

That said, I do monitor them prior. Yesterday, I noticed the Suite prices on my upcoming cruise dropped by $300.00. I called my PCC and she secured the new price without issue. Yay me!

We sometimes grab some of the last minute bargains (after the final payment period) and the prices can be amazing. But the trick is not to be "loyal" to a particular cruise line and/or itinerary. We monitor lots of cruises, plus we are registered with multiple large cruise agencies that send us e-mails (several times a week) on specials. If we see a very good deal, and it fits our schedule, we might book. This generally means booking from about 40-75 days before a cruise and being willing to go anywhere in the world.

Hank

I Have scored a 1/2 dozen cruises the last week before sailing for cheap money.

One I found cut it's price in half the night before it sailed .

D.W thought I was kidding when I asked her " do you want to go to Bermuda tomorrow for $299 pp "

We did book and sailed in 12 hrs.

Our last cruise a couple weeks ago my NCL PCC called me Wednesday afternoon for a 7 day Bermuda cruise $299 pp we sailed that friday morning .

I am always on the hunt for a cheap cruise and my PCC knows it .

Edited by biker@sea

I Have scored a 1/2 dozen cruises the last week before sailing for cheap money.

One I found cut it's price in half the night before it sailed .

D.W thought I was kidding when I asked her " do you want to go to Bermuda tomorrow for $299 pp "

We did book and sailed in 12 hrs.

Our last cruise a couple weeks ago my NCL PCC called me Wednesday afternoon for a 7 day Bermuda cruise $299 pp we sailed that friday morning .

I am always on the hunt for a cheap cruise and my PCC knows it .

Those are great rates! Which room types did you get for those rates?

I always monitor the price after if a payment for upgrades. Often times I am able to upgrade for no or minimal cost.

I look to reduce the cost prior to final payment and to upgrade after final payment. I never have asked nor expected a refund after final payment. The upgrades have all been granted thus far.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On cruises I have followed (not exactly a "scientific" sample), I have often seen price drops...but only on available cabin categories. In other words, not all categories are still available at that time. And most likely the reduced price will be for a "guarantee" cabin (so you can't choose a specific cabin).

Naturally, your mileage may vary. ;-)

Sometimes.

But you have to be flexible. We mostly book just outside or inside the final payment window.

We will be in Europe in Sept/Oct. We are watching the pricing on three different ships/two itineraries, and a few dates. Final payment windows commence anywhere from Aug 3 to Aug.15. We will book the first one that hits our target balcony price. If this does not happen we will simply continue on with our land trip.

I booked a room with my 2 son's. Their friend and his Mum booked a room. We went with an Ocean Suite and they went with a balcony room. Their room has gone down twice and then we did final payment. Just looked on line again and their room has dropped Our room has gone up every time. Not fair.

tigercat

I always monitor the price after if a payment for upgrades. Often times I am able to upgrade for no or minimal cost.

I look to reduce the cost prior to final payment and to upgrade after final payment. I never have asked nor expected a refund after final payment. The upgrades have all been granted thus far.

I do the same - check prior to final payment and ask for upgrade after. We have done more than 50 cruises and only had a few that had price drops after final payment.

Marianne

We used to see price drops especially on Caribbean cruises in October-November and Feb-March. Lately though we've been doing holiday cruises or very popular cruises, mostly in suites, and when not sold out, prices have gone way up.

Mary Lou

Booked a HAL essentially-repositioning cruise after final payment. Sure enough, it keeps dropping. Got a special clearance rate @ D-67 but today the rate dropped to its lowest-published @ D-60 by $300 for the cheapest cabin. Still hasn't dropped to what I paid ($100 to go)

We used to see price drops especially on Caribbean cruises in October-November and Feb-March. Lately though we've been doing holiday cruises or very popular cruises, mostly in suites, and when not sold out, prices have gone way up.

Mary Lou

We booked our last cruise almost a year in advance. Six months before sailing our category was $1900 higher, for the two of us. Three months out the ship was completely sold out except for a hand full of inside cabins.