Nice to Monte Carlo Cruise Port

skincruisers

We are due aboard the Seabourn Soujourn in November. We fly into Nice. We have the option of staying a night in Nice and then getting to MC for the cruise or staying a night in Monte Carlo. Any thoughts on the best way to get from Nice to Monte Carlo?

We are due aboard the Seabourn Soujourn in November. We fly into Nice. We have the option of staying a night in Nice and then getting to MC for the cruise or staying a night in Monte Carlo. Any thoughts on the best way to get from Nice to Monte Carlo?

Given that you will obviously have luggage, the best option is to take a taxi or have your hotel arrange for a private car/driver transfer. Of course this is also the most expensive option (other then using a helicopter). If you can handle your luggage and want to save some money you can just take the regional TER train from Nice to Monte Carlo and then grab a taxi at the station to take you to the port.

Hank

• 1 year later...

Hi Hank....you and others have been very helpful as I scan this board for info that will help us with a cruise we are boarding in a couple of weeks in Monte Carlo. We will be staying two nights pre-cruise in Nice, and weather permitting will explore the city by foot and possibly take the train to Eze. Supposedly there is a train station near our hotel, so we are planning on taking the train to Monaco on the morning of embarkation. We will most likely only have one rolling piece of luggage each.....is walking from the train station to the cruise port feasible? We walked around much of Monte Carlo last year during a visit, and realize there are steps and hills. It just doesn't look too far in the map, but?! Would love some input. We don't mind paying for a taxi, but would enjoy the foot adventure if it is feasible!

Hi Hank....you and others have been very helpful as I scan this board for info that will help us with a cruise we are boarding in a couple of weeks in Monte Carlo. We will be staying two nights pre-cruise in Nice' date=' and weather permitting will explore the city by foot and possibly take the train to Eze. Supposedly there is a train station near our hotel, so we are planning on taking the train to Monaco on the morning of embarkation. We will most likely only have one rolling piece of luggage each.....is walking from the train station to the cruise port feasible? We walked around much of Monte Carlo last year during a visit, and realize there are steps and hills. It just doesn't look too far in the map, but?! Would love some input. We don't mind paying for a taxi, but would enjoy the foot adventure if it is feasible![/quote']

Walking from the train station (with luggage) does seem further then it is, but you are probably talking about 3/4 - 1 mile to get out to the actual cruise ship pier. You could do it, but personally this is a case where we would spend a few Euros for a taxi. That being said, we have done crazier walks :).

As to Eze, there really is no train service to Eze Village. The nearest train station is located at a tiny top called Eze/Bord de Mer which is along the post below Eze Village. From the train station you would either have to use the bus (the schedule is not always matched to the trains), call for a taxi, or take the long uphill walk (a real hike). From Nice you would do better to take the bus...although the frequency is limited so you need to coordinate your schedule with the bus schedule.

Hank

Thank you for your insight Hank! We do enjoy serious walking, but it probably would be best to get a taxi from the train station to the ship. We can then have our champagne toast, get settled, and then head out on foot without luggage in tow :). As for the "hike" from the train station to Eze.....can you give me a clearer description? We will definitely consider the bus... But we have been crazy enough to walk from downtown Miami across the causeway to South Beach, to give you some idea :D.

Thank you, Caryn

Not Hank....but this might give you an idea

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187222-d545927-Reviews-Nietzsche_Path-Eze_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence.html

I guess if you are a pretty decent national park type hiker it might be your thing, or part mountain goat. :)

Thank you for the link AND your recommendation :D

No matter how much I search this board and other sites, there is always more information to uncover!

Thank you for the link AND your recommendation :D

No matter how much I search this board and other sites' date=' there is always more information to uncover![/quote']

Here is the current bus schedule from Nice to Eze Village:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/?rub_code=6&lign_id=1063&sens=1&laDate=12%2F10%2F2015&period_code=-1&part_id=

Since you are staying a few days it is possible if you time the busses.

Here is the current bus schedule from Nice to Eze Village:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/?rub_code=6&lign_id=1063&sens=1&laDate=12%2F10%2F2015&period_code=-1&part_id=

Since you are staying a few days it is possible if you time the busses.

Thank you very much for the bus schedule! I like having all this information ahead of time, and then we can see how we are feeling and how the weather is.

I think it will be nice to have a couple days pre-cruise in Nice, and we also will have a day post-cruise due to flight schedules.

Although DW and I love walking and even walking some distance we have never tried the hike between Eze Village and the train station. But most who do this will suggest you do it if going from the village to the station...and not many recommend hiking from the station to the village :). The reason (as you might surmise) is that Eze Village is high up on a hill along the Middle Corniche Road. So hiking from the station means it is mostly up hill.

But no need to make your choice in advance. If you take the train you can walk outside the tiny station and check the posted bus schedule (at the tiny bus stop) to see if there is a bus coming in the near future (they traditionally do not run a bus around lunch time). If the bus does not work, and the weather is good, you might want to consider hiking. There is also a small cafe/restaurant (unless it has recently closed) across the road from the station where you could go to call for a taxi, have a drink, etc.

Under normal circumstances we would take the bus to Eze Village (for reasons mentioned). But hiking down to the train station (which has been described in past CC posts) is a reasonable option for returning to the port at Villefranche and is also an option for either Nice or Monte Carlo.

One option, not mentioned, is actually our favorite idea of simply renting a car for the day. This way you do not lose time waiting for public transit and a car makes it easy to get to places like St Paul de Vence (our favorite place that we like more then Eze) or Eze.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you Hank! My concern about the hike from the train station to Eze village is not so much fitness related, but more an issue of a steep trail with drop offs that might trigger height issues with my DH 😮. So we may do as you and others have suggested, and take the bus from Nice and then decide how we want to return. As far as St Paul De Vence---I have read your comments on other threads, and it sounds like a special place to visit. I realize it is the opposite direction, and I think you mentioned public transport is not easy. We certainly could rent a car....although I rely on my husband's solid grasp of the Italian language, I am not sure he would feel comfortable driving in France! But certainly nice to have options!

Another question, since I am way over my quota-- we are staying at an airport hotel in Nice due to ease of transfer, along with being able to use airline mileage points 😁.....would walking into downtown Nice and the Old Town be feasible? Just thinking of ways to stretch our legs and explore by foot after a full day of flying!

Thank you for sharing your ideas and recommendations!

Caryn

Thank you Hank! My concern about the hike from the train station to Eze village is not so much fitness related' date=' but more an issue of a steep trail with drop offs that might trigger height issues with my DH . So we may do as you and others have suggested, and take the bus from Nice and then decide how we want to return. As far as St Paul De Vence---I have read your comments on other threads, and it sounds like a special place to visit. I realize it is the opposite direction, and I think you mentioned public transport is not easy. We certainly could rent a car....although I rely on my husband's solid grasp of the Italian language, I am not sure he would feel comfortable driving in France! But certainly nice to have options!

Another question, since I am way over my quota-- we are staying at an airport hotel in Nice due to ease of transfer, along with being able to use airline mileage points .....would walking into downtown Nice and the Old Town be feasible? Just thinking of ways to stretch our legs and explore by foot after a full day of flying!

Thank you for sharing your ideas and recommendations!

Caryn[/quote']

It's about 7k to center of town from the airport. When we stayed in town, I would run out the corniche just within sight of the airport and then back past town to the little port area, then back to town. You might walk it once or twice, but with your hotel location I would check out bus day passes, because you'll probably be back and forth more than a few times.

Edited by buggins0402

It's about 7k to center of town from the airport. When we stayed in town, I would run out the corniche just within sight of the airport and then back past town to the little port area, then back to town. You might walk it once or twice, but with your hotel location I would check out bus day passes, because you'll probably be back and forth more than a few times.

Thank you for the description Buggins0402! We have been told there is a train station and bus stop close to our hotel (great for our transfer on cruise embarkation day!), and we will most likely take advantage of public transportation. I am enjoying getting a picture of our many options before arrival!

We never did address the airport hotel issue. Personally, if spending more then 1 night (with an early morning flight) we would always stay in Nice rather then out by the airport. Getting to the airport is easy (via taxi) and being in town near the Promanade or Old Town has many advantages. We also would recommend a tiny restaurant located in the Old Town called La Merenda. While the place is a little hole in the wall kind of place, its chef/owner (Dominque Le Stanc) is a world-class chef who abandoned the Michelin Star rat race (he got Le Chantecler at the Negresco its 2nd Star) to own and cook regional food at his own tiny place. The restaurant (La Merenda) does not have a phone or take reservations online, so one must either book in person or put their faith in a decent hotel Concierge to get a table in this place.

Hank

We never did address the airport hotel issue. Personally, if spending more then 1 night (with an early morning flight) we would always stay in Nice rather then out by the airport. Getting to the airport is easy (via taxi) and being in town near the Promanade or Old Town has many advantages. We also would recommend a tiny restaurant located in the Old Town called La Merenda. While the place is a little hole in the wall kind of place, its chef/owner (Dominque Le Stanc) is a world-class chef who abandoned the Michelin Star rat race (he got Le Chantecler at the Negresco its 2nd Star) to own and cook regional food at his own tiny place. The restaurant (La Merenda) does not have a phone or take reservations online, so one must either book in person or put their faith in a decent hotel Concierge to get a table in this place.

Hank

Thank you for the restaurant recommendation! We love "hole in the wall" places! We realize an airport hotel would not usually be our choice, but it is convenient for our late evening arrival among other things. Is La Merenda open for lunch?

Thank you for the restaurant recommendation! We love "hole in the wall" places! We realize an airport hotel would not usually be our choice' date=' but it is convenient for our late evening arrival among other things. Is La Merenda open for lunch?[/quote']

La Merenda is open Monday through Friday only. It is open for lunch and this is the best time to go. If full, you can try to reserve a table for the evening or next day. It serves typical Nicois cuisine. If they have stuffed courgette (zucchini) flowers, you must have them.

A word of warning if you are staying by the airport. There is a huge construction project going on for a second tram line. I would advice using taxis to get into town and back. Not sure how this affected the bus stops.

If your DH is fluent in Italian, he will have no problem reading signs, etc in the area. Nice was a part of Italy until the 19th century. As you will see by the street signs in Nice old town, many of the streets are still referred to by their Provencal names. All roads are well marked and language is not an issue. Given the location you are at, you might want to consider the car. Even going to Eze could mean change of buses and wasting too much time in transportation. You might want to bring a GPS or rent it with the car.

A suggestion for Eze. If you arrange for private transport to the port in Monaco with a company like friend-in-france.com, you can request a one hour stop in Eze. Friends did it this past Summer and they though it was a reasonable markup from the plain transfer price. This would add a lot of sightseeing time for other purposes while you are in Nice. If you have a car, you can use the time to visit Antibes and Cannes also.

There might be shuttles/buses from the airport to Monaco. If you want to use public transport to go from your hotel to the port, consider taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and taking a bus or shuttle from there. The train could be a lot more hassle than you think.

La Merenda is open Monday through Friday only. It is open for lunch and this is the best time to go. If full, you can try to reserve a table for the evening or next day. It serves typical Nicois cuisine. If they have stuffed courgette (zucchini) flowers, you must have them.

A word of warning if you are staying by the airport. There is a huge construction project going on for a second tram line. I would advice using taxis to get into town and back. Not sure how this affected the bus stops.

If your DH is fluent in Italian, he will have no problem reading signs, etc in the area. Nice was a part of Italy until the 19th century. As you will see by the street signs in Nice old town, many of the streets are still referred to by their Provencal names. All roads are well marked and language is not an issue. Given the location you are at, you might want to consider the car. Even going to Eze could mean change of buses and wasting too much time in transportation. You might want to bring a GPS or rent it with the car.

A suggestion for Eze. If you arrange for private transport to the port in Monaco with a company like friend-in-france.com, you can request a one hour stop in Eze. Friends did it this past Summer and they though it was a reasonable markup from the plain transfer price. This would add a lot of sightseeing time for other purposes while you are in Nice. If you have a car, you can use the time to visit Antibes and Cannes also.

There might be shuttles/buses from the airport to Monaco. If you want to use public transport to go from your hotel to the port, consider taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and taking a bus or shuttle from there. The train could be a lot more hassle than you think.

Thank you so much Marazul! We will consider the car rental. Unfortunately we will be staying in Nice over the weekend pre-cruise, but will be staying one night post cruise so I am hoping we can try La Merenda for lunch then. Might be a nice birthday celebration for my husband! I also appreciate the recommendation of Friendsinfrance.com.....they have wonderful reviews, and we are considering a transfer with another couple who will also be on our cruise! We enjoy using public transportation, but I will clarify that it is usually without luggage 😁

Thank you for your insight....any other recommendations or ideas welcome!

Caryn

It is very easy renting a car at NCE. The rental building is just across from the international terminal. A short walk will get you there. We usually rent from Europcar.

The most confusing driving you will do is finding the exit from the airport. All the construction means slightly changed exits. Just get good directions from the rental desk. You are probably staying at the Novotel which means ample parking on location.

You might want to investigate picking up at Nice and dropping off in Monaco. Make sure to check the rental agency map for the drop off location to see if it is convenient for you. Personally, I would return the car at NCE the night before checking out. Take the shuttle back to the hotel and arrange for the transfer with Friend in France next morning, with or without the Eze stop. That would be the most convenient option and they would take you straight to the cruise terminal.

The train station near the Novotel is Nice-St Augustin. You would have to walk across two major roads and all the construction to get there.

It is very easy renting a car at NCE. The rental building is just across from the international terminal. A short walk will get you there. We usually rent from Europcar.

The most confusing driving you will do is finding the exit from the airport. All the construction means slightly changed exits. Just get good directions from the rental desk. You are probably staying at the Novotel which means ample parking on location.

You might want to investigate picking up at Nice and dropping off in Monaco. Make sure to check the rental agency map for the drop off location to see if it is convenient for you. Personally, I would return the car at NCE the night before checking out. Take the shuttle back to the hotel and arrange for the transfer with Friend in France next morning, with or without the Eze stop. That would be the most convenient option and they would take you straight to the cruise terminal.

The train station near the Novotel is Nice-St Augustin. You would have to walk across two major roads and all the construction to get there.

Well...thank you again! Looking at a map walking to the train station or towards town doesn't look too complicated....but with construction thrown in, might need to reconsider. Thank you for the Friend-in-France recommendation, I have already contacted them regarding a transfer to the cruise terminal. Adding the possibility of wet weather is motivation to start our adventure off stress free 😊

Well...thank you again! Looking at a map walking to the train station or towards town doesn't look too complicated....but with construction thrown in' date=' might need to reconsider. Thank you for the Friend-in-France recommendation, I have already contacted them regarding a transfer to the cruise terminal. Adding the possibility of wet weather is motivation to start our adventure off stress free [/quote']

Also, the train station in Nice is kind of far from the area where most people spend most of their time. If you stick with public transportation for your time in Nice, you might check with your hotel desk on what they recommend for getting back and forth into central Nice. My gut feel is you might be better with the bus, particularly hearing what Marazul said about construction.

Bonjour Marzul.

Great to see you jumping in on this thread. Great info on the construction (we had no clue). It is killing me not being in France with such a favorable exchange rate (against the US Dollar). Hope all is well with you.

Hank

Hank and Marazul--- Do either of you know whether La Merenda accepts credit cards? I am hoping for a nice lunch or dinner when we return to Nice post cruise since it will not be open during our first stay.

No credit cards accepted at La Merenda. They don't answer the phone either, so you just have to show up.

Bonjour, Hank - I always check your posts. I know, I would also love to be back in France. All is well chez moi. Hope it is the same for you.

Salut!

Edited by marazul

No credit cards accepted at La Merenda. They don't answer the phone either, so you just have to show up.

Bonjour, Hank - I always check your posts. I know, I would also love to be back in France. All is well chez moi. Hope it is the same for you.

Salut!

Had a feeling...thanks :) 👍