Spot Prawns

It certainly should be - the 'launch party' for the start of the season is the weekend before and while it can be a very short period before the total take is hit, you should be good through the end of May.

As to a good place - for me, it's all about HOW they're being prepared so I can try some different styles of dish each year. If you've never visited in spot prawn season before you don't need to worry about that though, so any kitchen that generally has a light touch with fresh seafood will do a good job. You're simply not going to find them in any cheap or even mid-range resto - it's a premium and very seasonal product - so the best value reliable option I can suggest is Provence.

Their menu allows you to sample at least a couple of different dishes (and if you are food sharers, four) - and they are bringing back the favourite combo, Spot Prawn Duo which offers two different preps on the same plate. Provence is a Marseillais French place and does a good job with seafood in my experience. CAD$45 for their entrees & $15 for Appies I believe this year - so for ~US$45pp you could get get a broad range of spot prawn dishes. They have a fairly active sommelier program, so add a couple of matched wines and a dessert and you'd be looking at ~CAD100/US$75+pp.

My personal go-tos for spot prawn dishes are Blue Water Cafe and Hawksworth in the downtown core, or if you don't mind a cab or bus ride out to Kits you will definitely not go wrong with a meal at Bishops. In fact, if I was forced at gunpoint to name just one resto to enjoy spot prawns in, it would probably be Bishops - I've had some truly delightful seafood there.

I remember 5 years ago... the prawns were going for CAD$10 per pound.

Walked into the local TnT. They wanted something like CAD$35 per pound on sale. The sign says regular price is CAD$43 per pound.

Makes me wonder what the prices are like at stores around the USA.

Looking forward to seeing a price drop in harvest season in the coming weeks.