feasibility of cruising with much medical equipment and power chair

angelbearmom

I'm thinking of trying to do a cruise with a friend who is in a power chair and ventilator dependent. She will need a lift which I think we can likely rent. Due to medical issues we need to do a cruise that has a minimum of travel to get to and from the ship. That means if possible we would need to be near Vancouver BC. Has anyone here cruised with this degree of special needs? I think we're limited to Mexican Riviera, Pacific Coast, Alaska and maybe Hawaii. Any suggestions?

I have not cruised with anyone needing so much equipment, but I have cruised with my wheelchair and a scooter and I'm an RN so I'm somewhat familiar with ventilators. I would say the first issue to address is to talk to her doctor. She would need to be very stable on the ventilator and have someone travelling with her who was competent not only with routine care but with emergencies. She certainly couldn't count on the onboard health care personnel being knowlegable about her ventilator and equipped to take care of problems. I have no knowledge of portable ventilators so I'm not sure how she would be able to travel to the port, but she would need to be prepared for a minimum of 30-60 minutes with no power source for the ventilator (parking lot to check-in to getting onto the ship, and if your room wasn't ready yet she would need to find a power source in a public area to plug into or go even longer without external power).

I also do not think her equipment would fit in a regular handicapped room. I am travelling next month on the NCL Pearl in an accessible aft minisuite and I don't think even that would work. There is a good video on YouTube of one of the other gem-class ships so you can see whether it would be feasible, but I'm thinking you would have to go for at least a suite.

A good place to start would probably be with the Accessible Desk on a cruise line that you are considering. If they are familiar with ventilator-dependent cruisers, they should be able to give you good information on what you would need. If not, that tells you a lot about whether anyone else has tried it.

BTW, CC has a good ship search function. Go to the main page and you'll see something like "find a cruise" - try setting Vancouver (and later Seattle if she could travel that far) as the port of origin and leave everything else blank. That will tell you which destinations are available on which cruise lines, and you can always go directly to the cruise line sites if you need more info than CC has.

I hope you will come back and tell us what you decide (and if you do cruise, how it works out!)

Edited by mamasylvia

Certainly no problem with a power chair, never needed a ventilator fortunately, but seeing how well they provide for other disabilities I'd say it'll be fine, just contact special needs and discuss it with them.

Is your friend going to bring along a caregiver, or is that going to be you? If you need to sail from Vancouver, you are likely limited to Alaska, I see only one r/t to Hawaii, 15 days on Star Princess in Sept. Alaska would have to be r/t unless you do B2B cruises to get back to Vancouver. Cruises south from Vancouver are repositioning and one way only, would have to fly home. And although there are HC cabins plenty big enough for her, they book fast. You often have to book more than a yer ahead to get one. EM

Thanks for the replies. I likely know the answer to this but does the ship/cruise line give you a break on the cost if you have to have a more expensive room or suite? Just thought I'd ask. My hope would to be to bring a nurse or care aide with us. There are 2 of us that would take her. My friend is experienced with caring for people on ventilators. I haven't had any training but certainly would by the time of the cruise. But if we had a 3rd person along she could just take care of the medical issues. I can see we'd likely need multiple cabins. I & 2 friends (1 of them was who would go with me now) on a 3 day Coastal cruise a few years ago. We managed with me and her in one w/c accessible cabin and the other 2 in a separate cabin. She didn't need as much equipment at that time, just the w/c and a lift. It worked fairly well. I tried looking at the cc cruise finder but it wouldn't let me add Vancouver. I've found a wish granting program that we're hoping she'd be accepted for. It would have to be at least a year from now just to work on all the logistics. My friend Robin is now in a nursing home and watches all her family going on holidays and even me. She's always left behind, It would be so nice to do this for her. I'll keep people updated as to what I've been able to arrange.

They will not give you a break on the cost of the cabin. HC cabins are made large enough to accommodate what you need. I did a B2B Alaska cruise several years ago on Princess. I booked an inside gty about 5 weeks out, and was assigned a very large HC cabin even though I did not need a HC cabin. It was larger than some suites, but no balcony. My TA thought it was probably the only inside available for both weeks. Go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com and work your way through the cruise lines/ships that are a possibility. There are lots of cabin pictures there, but it is a pay site to see most of them. However, if you pullup a ship and click on handicap cabins in each category, the pictures are free to see. If you check Diamond Princess, cabin E716, they are my pictures. EM

Ventilator dependent? You need to speak with the "special needs" department. They may not be willing to allow someone with these issues. Sounds like a liability beyond what any cruiseline would allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am an RN who worked in SCI Rehabilitation & Care prior to retirement. If she has a good quality portable ventilator on her chair, and ideally a back-up for bedside use, something like a PLV 950 or 1150 or such, then there should be plenty of room in a handicapped cabin. Most of these ventilators have a built in battery for 1-2 hours, but also can take power from the power wheelchair battery for longer use, or have an added external batter that will give the person 8-10 hours of battery powered ventilation. You should get some basic training in the use of the ventilator and such things as bagging in an emergency, even if you do take a trained person with you.

There are some handicapped cabins on Princess and HAL and RCCL which sleep 3 as long as one person is willing to use a sleeper sofa or bunk bed, but they do book up far in advance. Keep in mind that even in the adapted cabins there are very limited electrical outlets, so keeping the power wheelchair, ventilator(s), etc. charged can be a bit of a challenge. Try to take a power bar as a part of her ventilator (medical equipment) as most cruise lines will not allow power bars to be brought aboard.

There are more Alaska cruises out of Seattle than Vancouver, but my preferred route for Alaska is RT Vancouver (7 days) because you go INSIDE Vancouver Island (protected waters) and not OUTSIDE (such as the Seattle cruises do) where there is much more wave action and less to see.

In addition, in most of the ports going to Alaska along this route, you are docked, and can get to wheelchair accessible things to do ashore. She would not be allowed a shore visit that requires a tender, so avoid Sitka, for example.

If she also needs occasional suctioning, you need to be sure to bring her portable battery powered suction machine along, and of course enough supplies for things like vent circuit and filter changes and suction tubing, etc. It is definitely do-able. As above, you won't be able to depend on any assistance from the on-board medical staff other than the most basic emergency care, but the good thing about an Alaska inside passage cruise is that you are close to shore everywhere, and evacuation off the ship for a real emergency is possible.

Be sure you get trip insurance immediately upon booking your cruise, as if you wait more than a few days, prior conditions such as her disability and respiratory status will not be covered.

You are a wonderful friend to do this for her. Don't let others discourage you!

Edited by Splinter

I would start with her Doctor for the first opinion. They may say no or can definitely tell you what equipment and care. May be needed. In the meantime book early and get a fully refundable deposit until final payment and fully insure the trip.

Right now my life expectancy is rather fluid. I have liver cancer and the best treatment option failed. I'll know more by mid-May about aggressiveness of growth.

If her doctor thinks it would be okay, and you are looking at taking 3-4 people total, look hard at Norwegian. They have an Alaska run out of Vancouver and they offer 3rd/4th person free (in the same cabin) as a perk on selected sailings - typically the lower-demand ones when the kids are in school. That would let you (hopefully) book a suite - even if you *could* fit all her equipment in a standard HC room, which I am skeptical about, it would be terribly cramped for just 2 people and really miserable for 3-4. A suite would give you more room for everything, more outlets, plus the services of a butler who could (for instance) bring you all dinner when you are beat or breakfast so you can enjoy a leisurely start to the day. A Haven suite, if your budget runs to that, would also give all of you access to a private pool and lounge area. Just be careful you don't book a suite that is only accessible by stairs. (I can't believe I'm recommending Norwegian, as their customer service is beyond awful - but that 3rd/4th free perk could really make a difference to everyone's comfort.)

Also talk to the nursing home. If she is getting any kind of federal or state assistance towards the cost of the nursing home, there is a real risk she could lose it if she takes a pleasure trip - the usual rationale is that if she is well enough to vacation, even with assistance from multiple people, she doesn't "need" nursing home care. I know that attitude sucks but it's government, it doesn't have to make sense. (Sounds like you might be Canadian, in which case I know nothing about Canadian regs - but I'd still recommend checking with the nursing home. You don't want any unpleasant surprises.)

Even if Splinter is correct that this is technically feasible (and he/she probably is), I think JVille's concerns about liability are all too valid. If her doctor does okay the trip, I would make the next call to the accessible department of your first choice cruise line and ask if they would accept her as a passenger.

And I agree with the other posters that it is really wonderful of you to try to give your friend a trip.

A phone call to the special needs department of several cruise lines will clear this one up very quickly. The liability of a passenger dependent on a vent is (sadly) going to sink this trip. Medically fragile, even an airline to get to port will be an issue. Power chair surviving the flight is the other issue. In our case our power chair in a special shipping box constructed just for this purpose and the $40,000 chair still did not survive!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the suggestion and a bit of hope that this will work. Robin will ask her doctor on Friday if a trip is possible. And what sort of trip (just a cruise from Vancouver, cruise with a flight one or both ways, or trip with just vehicle travel. We'll see what he says. I'm not optimistic at this point but it's worth a try. I'll let people know what we do.

I know there are people with children on vents who have gone on Disney cruise line... part of Make A Wish. I would "assume" that there must be some way that Princess would be able to help make this work when you contact the special needs dept. You might see if you can find a TA that specializes in special needs as well as they often know the ins and outs of making these kinds of arrangements better than doing it on your own. When we booked our Alaska trip for this summer we had to book our HA room 1 1/2 years in advance. My son uses a scooter, is on Bipap/Avaps at night (which is essentiallly a non-invasive ventilator) and is often oxygen dependent. He is also strictly tube fed, and for most of his life was also dependent on IV nutrition. We cruised on DCL twice out of Florida when he was still a child, he is now a young adult but we are his guardians as he is developmentally disabled. I absolutely believe it can be done, you just have to figure out the right way to make it happen. I don't believe in saying never... and no. My son is here 20 years later when they gave us a 10% chance for him to live to be born, and we have traveled around the country, and are planning an African Safari in a few years. It can take work, creativity, and determination, but all kinds of things can happen. My best wishes to you!!!!

I'm thinking of trying to do a cruise with a friend who is in a power chair and ventilator dependent. She will need a lift which I think we can likely rent. Due to medical issues we need to do a cruise that has a minimum of travel to get to and from the ship. That means if possible we would need to be near Vancouver BC. Has anyone here cruised with this degree of special needs? I think we're limited to Mexican Riviera, Pacific Coast, Alaska and maybe Hawaii. Any suggestions?

You are a wonderful friend to this lady! Don't give up in your quest to include her. I never traveled with a ventilator when one of my daughters had to be on one. However, if your friend has a portable ventilator similar to the Respironics Trilogy, you should be able to do what you need to do. (You didn't say if it was an invasive ventilator.)

Others on cruise-critic who travel with service dogs have found the accessibility department of nearly all cruise lines to be very close to useless. So, that department may not be able to answer your questions. Have you considered contacting a travel agency who specializes in accessible travel? I found one in a Google search who says they specialize in wheelchair accessible cruises. A phone call might at least get you going in the right direction. They are called Accessible Journeys. (I have never traveled with them, nor do I have any connection to them in any way.)

I hope you can make this happen! Please do keep us all posted on what you find out.

Beckie

Just a bit of an update on the cruise for Robin. My travel agent contacted HAL and Princess. Both said she could come as long as her health wasn't a major problem at the time of sailing. I've found an RN that's interested in coming-she's a good friend. When I spoke with her we decided that we'll try to have 3 helpers. It will be easier getting bits of breaks. The Travel agent and I have agreed that a cruise only trip Vancouver to Vancouver. Alaska is the best I think, I've found an Alaska Cruise with a Christian singer I know Robin loves from and to Vancouver next July. When we were thinking of Alaska I wondered if this summer would work but I think July 2018 gives us more time to make arrangements and likely do fund raising. Robin sees her doctor on Friday. She thinks he'll say no. I've contacted her mother and she's totally in favor of this trip if Robin is healthy enough. She has a fair amount of say on Robin's behalf. So...............we'll see what the Dr says on Friday. Hopefully he'll at least consider it and be willing to talk with those of us who would go with her. I'll let you know.

Thank you for the update! Hopefully the doctor will have an attitude that quality of life is essential... (and perhaps she and her mother can help get that across to him/her!). If you are looking for a handicapped accessible stateroom it will likely be difficult to get for this year... I would suggest booking for next year asap as they book pretty quickly.

I so hope you can all find a way to make this work. It is so important to live life to the fullest when and where you can! Such good friends are a blessing. Don't forget when you book to get travel insurance right away, as the pre-existing clause on most policies will cover cancellations only if you take out the insurance at the same time as you book (or within 14-21 days). SO important when dealing with health issues!

Looking forward to hearing how things go...

I use a power wheelchair and a ventilator non-invasively. I just returned from a cruise to Nassau leaving out of Bayonne, NJ on the RCI Anthem of the Seas. We had a wonderful time. I would and did bring two ventilators and an ambu bag. I brought double of everything, just in case ie tubing etc. I had the LTV on the back of my wheelchair and the PLV100 that I use at night went in as luggage and labeled medical equipment. I had a battery backup for the PLV and a charger for my chair and a charger for the battery pack for the LTV. It all went very smoothly and we had wonderful time. I would check out the altitude where you will be traveling. I'm not all that familiar with that area and not sure if there is a higher altitude than she is used to If so, she may have to adjust the pressures on her vents. If you have any questions that I can answer, I would be happy to answer them. Good luck. This is very doable with planning.

My DH got a tracheotomy in Dec. We went on a cruise in March, 7 day, out of Los Angeles. It took a good deal of planning, and a big change in how we have cruised before. We treated ourselves with a Balcony and I am very glad we did because we spent more time in the room than we have ever done before. Our carry on baggage was all equipment and supplies, only a change of shirt and undies in case our larger luggage did not make it on the ship. I recorded how many suctioning kits, inner cannulas, and cleaning kits we used throughout Jan. and Feb. and took a little more than the maximum amount we used in any 7 day period. Also since we did a Coastal we were close enough to home to have someone bring more supplies to us for all but the first few days. We did not bring the large compressor, but relied on his nebulizer and a My Pure Mist to give moisture relief, but with the ocean air he had a very good week in that regard. We brought trash bags so we could take home all the 'trash' that could be identified as medical waste. We did dispose of the outside packaging in the cabin trash. We got a sharps container from the ship and this was very handy.

The only thing that bothered me was the suctioning equipment sounded very loud, and he needed several times in the middle of the night, but not as much as at home. The first night we had the machine set up against the wall, but we moved it to by the window, because I was afraid we were disturbing the neighbors. If we were going to a port he tried to wait until they were pulling into port because the ship make enough noises that the suctioning was not as noticeable, at least to us.

It can be done, but I think your idea of having three people would make it much easier. I had difficulty getting all of the equipment on board, even though he had a walker that carried some of the items. I was afraid to put anything important to him medically in the regular luggage.

Poolreader, you did an excellent job planning and executing this cruise. What a loving wife you are! And a good neighbor, too, to consider noise that might bother your neighbors. We should all hope for such a kind spouse.

The dr said he'll think about. I decided I'd write a letter introducing myself and the others who will come to the dr and other staff Just to highlight my experience and that of the nurse who will come. Regarding the other poster about this year vs waiting a year; yes I've thought about that but I think there are too many logistics to be dealt with to get things organized for this Alaska sailing season. I will tell the dr that I'm aware that she might not live until next year or be well enough to go but just having this wish to look forward to could at the least give her hope at the best happen and be a wonderful memory for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another update on our hoped for trip with Robin. Lots of changes to our idea. We found out that the special interest cruise is a charter and much more expensive than just booking the cruise via HAL. And, as it's in US funds it's even more expensive. We've also learned that the wish organization no longer exists. And, in talking it over with everyone involved we've decided to try to do a circle Hawaii that's return trip to Vancouver on Princess next April. . I just got prices from the travel agent and they're better than I'd thought they were. Robin has been informed that if we do this cruise which will be a long way from medical help for several days that she has to stick to safe decisions such as not eating orally-very dangerous for her. So. now it's fund raising time. No one was really excited about Alaska. I'll keep you all posted on how we manage. I've gotten great suggestions from people here about things like having 2 of everything we can (ventilator, suction, etc. I'll have more questions as things progress I'm sure.