Tenders & scooters

Chez2

Have you got off the ship with your scooter when it is a tender port. My friend has been told when she booked that she will not be able to get off in Nice, which always is a tendered port, so I assume that is why they have said that.

I know I have seen wheelchairs on the tenders but cant recall any scooters.

Thank you.

Carnival is now using the Catalina Ferries in the four day cruises out of Long Beach (Los Angeles). These use ramps, no stairs. Saw a power chair and several scooters onboard these. Only issue would be the width of the ramp.

Are they using local tenders or using lifeboats? Our last cruise used lifeboats (US ports) and we were able to get on the tender with the scooter, but my sister had to walk on the tender and the scooter was carried on by crew (small collapsible Luggie). Very calm seas.

Most the ships no longer allow scooters or wheelchairs on the tenders. Celebrity has been receptive about allowing the small travel scooterson depending on the port. Holland America has roll-on tenders on most of their ships and Royal Caribbean did have a few ships with roll on capabilities.

It sounds like whatever line she is cruising may not allow scooters on tenders.

Thank you for your replies, i am not certain what kind she has, but I know she has a hoist that pulls it up into the back of her car, so it cant be that big, but not sure of the manuf. We are are in the uk. It will be the life boat tenders that they use to get into nice port.

Thanks again

Passengers with wheelchairs, mobility scooters and other mobility equipment will be allowed on the tender only if it has roll-on capabilities. Even if the tender has roll. on capabilities it's still is up to Captain if passengers it with such ,mobility equipment will be allowed to board the tender due to weather and sea conditions.

We tendered ashore in Villefranche on Celebrity eclipse, and my wife remained in her wheelchair the entire time. Eclipse has a stair lift type platform to descend the stairs to the tender dock, and they used shore based tenders with roll on capabilities over a fairly wide gangway. There were scooters and powered chairs that used it, but Celebrity demanded that passengers needed to be able to stand out of the chair or scooter in order to use this facility.