Sydney Departure Day Air time question

Live4cruises

We've found a great fare for disembarkation day in Sydney (route is Sydney-NZ-Sydney). Is a 10:30 a.m departure a reasonable time? Adequate time to get from ship to airport??

Thank you!

Not if you're planning to fly out the same day, it isn't. IMO, anyway.

We've found a great fare for disembarkation day in Sydney (route is Sydney-NZ-Sydney). Is a 10:30 a.m departure a reasonable time? Adequate time to get from ship to airport??

Thank you!

If the ship is docking at 7 AM and you carry off your luggage, it is doable by Taxi. i.e. 7:15 in taxi and even with slow traffic there by 9 AM. And definitely no problem if it is on weekends. Pose this question on Trip Advisor Sydney Forum to confirm my experiencing the same flight of last February. Taxis are not cheap in Sydney. Yes ,wondering if there will be a possible traffic jam is a possibility does exceed your stress level to start with ...............I thrive on it. Oh, If you are elderly and slow moving and need a Porter, forget about it !

Can't answer that without some basic info. At what terminal does the ship berth? What time does ship begin disembarkation? Is it an international flight? How late can you check your baggage onto the flight? What day of the week? However, ....

As your flight departs at 10:30 I expect you;ll need to have checked your baggage no later than 9:30 and possibly earlier. Need to allow time to get off the ship (can you manage your own bags?), time to get into a cab (there will be plenty but plenty of people), allow an hour for trip, getting around the airport, etc. etc.. What if ship docks 30 minutes or more late?

Forget it, Doubt it can be done unless you can disembark by 6:30. Take a later fight or possibly same flight next day.

I'm not sure if I'm misreading your post but if you are flying from Sydney to NZ then this is an international flight and you are required to be at the airport 3 hours before departure in order to go through immigration and of course security. OK you can get there a bit later but with a flight at 10.30am you definitely wouldn't make it.

Even with a domestic connection it would be pushing it but doable. (Personally, I wouldn't even do it then!)

If your ship is docking at White Bay terminal, then this will add time and traffic to your journey. Even at Circular Quay there can be a wait for taxis so pick a flight later in the day or as someone else suggested, take the same flight next day. There is no point in saving some money only to miss the plane and lose the fare!

I would definitely not do it. I live in Sydney and know what the traffic is like, especially near and around the airport. Not only that, if you are doing an international flight (I am assuming you would be), you need to be at the airport three hours before departure.

I would definitely not do it. I live in Sydney and know what the traffic is like, especially near and around the airport. Not only that, if you are doing an international flight (I am assuming you would be), you need to be at the airport three hours before departure.

When is the new Freeway that was talked about in January when I was there, from downtown to airport, to be finished ?????

When is the new Freeway that was talked about in January when I was there, from downtown to airport, to be finished ?????

To be honest, I know nothing about a proposed new freeway from the CBD to the airport. I have just done a search online for information but cannot find anything. Where did you obtain this information? One way to get to the airport faster might be to take a train from Central Station direct to the airport but it also depends on where the ship docks (White Bay or Circular Quay) and what time you are able to disembark. I'm still thinking it would be cutting things awfully fine!

Hi EDLOS I am from Sydney and I would not even attempt to make a 10.30 am flight as the traffic to the airport from Circular Quay or White Bay is horrendous at the best of times and you have our Peak Hour from about 6.30 am to 10.30.

I was driving on Wednesday morning from the airport to the city at about 10 am and it took me almost 40 mins on our so called expressway. ( let alone any new freeway ?)

With traffic , any probable accident, possible roadworks etc. and then you are supposed o check in two hours before an international flight you will never make it, sorry.

Would not even bother with a train at that time of the morning and you still have to catch a cab to Central Station. also rush hour and it would be very difficult with luggage.

Best bet is to stay at the Rydges at the airport which is what we do and just stroll across the road to check in the following morning :-)

Ciao,

Cristiano.

To be honest, I know nothing about a proposed new freeway from the CBD to the airport. I have just done a search online for information but cannot find anything. Where did you obtain this information? One way to get to the airport faster might be to take a train from Central Station direct to the airport but it also depends on where the ship docks (White Bay or Circular Quay) and what time you are able to disembark. I'm still thinking it would be cutting things awfully fine!

When I arrived in Sydney in January, I noticed the snarl to get to downtown hotel asked why in a city of 4+ million there was no Expressway from Airport. The Taxis driver said it was under construction (Maybe pulling my leg?). Could it be that the Taxis drivers on metered time could care less about improving the situation. Considering the distance, it is probably one of the world's more expensive taxi rides. I know there are alternative options, but door to door is my only option at 82 years old.

When I arrived in Sydney in January, I noticed the snarl to get to downtown hotel asked why in a city of 4+ million there was no Expressway from Airport. The Taxis driver said it was under construction (Maybe pulling my leg?). Could it be that the Taxis drivers on metered time could care less about improving the situation. Considering the distance, it is probably one of the world's more expensive taxi rides. I know there are alternative options, but door to door is my only option at 82 years old.

There are always freeways being constructed in Sydney which makes for chaotic travelling at times but I have not heard of a new freeway to the airport. There is something of a freeway at least part of the way but I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Everything is expensive in Sydney! Ask the people who can't afford to buy a house! I can see train travel would be too difficult for you so I hope you are able to make a satisfactory arrangement, but again, I would not depend on getting to the airport in time for your flight on the day you disembark.

There are always freeways being constructed in Sydney which makes for chaotic travelling at times but I have not heard of a new freeway to the airport. There is something of a freeway at least part of the way but I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Everything is expensive in Sydney! Ask the people who can't afford to buy a house! I can see train travel would be too difficult for you so I hope you are able to make a satisfactory arrangement, but again, I would not depend on getting to the airport in time for your flight on the day you disembark.

You are so right about things being expensive i.e. Fish & chips lunch $12 US versus $18 US in Sydney. HO HO bus, Harbor cruises other activities seemed as or more expensive than other major cities. i.e. Tokyo, Rome, although I did find a food court near the Tank Stream Hotel where I stayed was quite the bargain. Breakfast charge at the hotel was $25 AUS for a buffet, Food Court $6.95 AUS. As Coach Bill says, "It is what it is !"