Bringing home pineapples???

mew1

We will be cruising to Hawaii and want to bring home some pineapples, can anyone share what we must do to bring them home? Can you take them on the plane or do you have to ship? How do you have to package?

Aloha

Mew1

Probably the easiest thing to do is buy them in the Honolulu airport after you've passed security. The cost was $23 for a 3 pack and you can carry the box on the plane.

If the pineapple is for you, as opposed to a gift, my advice is to make the most of your pineapple eating opportunities while in Hawaii and on the ship, which will be many. I ate some every day. When it was time to go home, I was fine not having any for a few days. However, about one week after being home, I bought one at the supermarket. :D

The funny thing is that when you get home, the pineapple here won't taste the same. That's because on the islands, many places actually use juice pineapples, which are much sweeter than regular pineapples.

Picking them up at the airport is a little more expensive, but it's the easiest way. There are also many companies that will ship free to the airport, so you can just pick them up curbside. Don't try to buy them in the store and carry them on board - agriculture will take them from you. They need to be from 'authorized' vendors.

Charlie

We recently picked up two - three packs of Dole pineapple at the Honolulu airport. After opening the boxes at home, I was disappointed to see how small and green the fruit was. I thought that we had been completely "ripped off".

Much to my great surprise :D , these pineapples ripened within a couple of days and were absolutely amazing. They must have been juice pineapples because my MIL phoned and said that the core was so soft and sweet that she didn't even need to remove it (I automatically tossed mine in the trash after cutting).

By the way, we were told at the airport that the cartons of pineapple do not count toward your carry on lugggage allotment. You can bring home whatever you'd like. Wish I had brought home more!!

We will be cruising to Hawaii and want to bring home some pineapples, can anyone share what we must do to bring them home? Can you take them on the plane or do you have to ship? How do you have to package?

Aloha

Mew1

I think I'm having Deja Vu all over again!

Due to US Agriculture rules and regulations, it is best to buy your pineapples in the airport since those have a USDA stamp already on them! If you buy them in the grocery stores, they may/may not have one already tagged with the USDA stamp.

I agree and disagree. Right about the regulations and right that grocery store/roadside stand/farmers market pineapples are not approved for export and will be confiscated.

However, while buying at the airport is the easiest for many/most people, I don't necessarily think it's best. There are places that sell approved pineapples and will deliver to the airport. The nice thing with those is that you can order a box of 6 or so and have them packaged as checked baggage (and they do not count against your baggage maximums unless you try to do something crazy and check 10 boxes). Plus, the price for several is often better than the airport prices. (OTOH, it's sure nice to have the carry on boxes available when you've absolutely got to have pineapple to take home and you forgot to order it.) The downside with ordering for delivery to the airport is that, unless you know the company/plantation you are using, you won't be assured of the quality and size. I'm almost positive that the Dole Plantation on Oahu delivers to the airport. I would think that they are going to be mindful of their reputation and only send good pineapples for visitors to take home. I can't help with any other places on Oahu because we almost always fly home from Maui, and the place we use is only on Maui and will not send pineapples to Oahu for take home.

beachchick

When we were on Oahu in May, 2006, we bought two boxes of 6 pineapples at the Dole Plantation, and had no problem getting them home. The inspection process isn't really that big of a deal, and only took us a couple of extra minutes, the inspectors put red tape on the boxes and then they got checked onto the plane. We gave most away as gifts, and ate a couple of them.

I always bring back the wonderful Maui Onions. No problem with them through customs. You cannot buy anything like them in US. They are to die for. Not cheap. I group them in 3's and put fancy ribbon around them Friends think I am GREAT (which I am)

I always bring back the wonderful Maui Onions. No problem with them through customs. You cannot buy anything like them in US. They are to die for. Not cheap. I group them in 3's and put fancy ribbon around them Friends think I am GREAT (which I am)

We also bring home Maui onions when we're there "in season" for them. My DH can be sensitive to regular brown/yellow onions, so I cook exclusively with various sweet onions (Vidalia, Texas 1810, etc.) and always set raw onions for salads, burritos, etc. on the side. The Mauis (from Maui--not mainland grown Maui "type") are by far the best. Period. Even my DH can eat them raw in salads and sandwiches. I give some as gifts, use some fresh, and then chop and freeze a bunch for cooking later. Sadly, I'm completely out of Mauis and have to use Vidalias right now.

As an FYI to everyone, if you want to bring home onions, they too must be pre-approved. You can't just go to the grocery store and buy some to take home. Ditto for any and all other fresh fruit that is allowed. Papayas must be fumigated and approved. Not all fruits are allowed to be exported, so check before trying to purchase for take home.

beachchick

can't help with any other places on Oahu because we almost always fly home from Maui, and the place we use is only on Maui and will not send pineapples to Oahu for take home.

beachchick

Who do you use in Maui? We will be flying in and out of Maui in October. Thanks!

Who do you use in Maui? We will be flying in and out of Maui in October. Thanks!

Take Home Maui in Lahaina. They have a tiny little store on Dickenson right off Front St. We have never been disappointed with the quality, price, or service. Maui Gold is my absolute favorite variety of pineapple. Yum, yum, and yummy.

beachchick

Take Home Maui in Lahaina. They have a tiny little store on Dickenson right off Front St. We have never been disappointed with the quality, price, or service. Maui Gold is my absolute favorite variety of pineapple. Yum, yum, and yummy.

beachchick

Thanks! We'll be sure to check it out. I've been eating pineapple like crazy lately, because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. I'll take Hawaii pineapple over ibuprofen any day!

Thanks! We'll be sure to check it out. I've been eating pineapple like crazy lately, because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. I'll take Hawaii pineapple over ibuprofen any day!

My pleasure. I hope you like the Maui Gold. Hm...I have to take anti-inflammatory meds every day (including ibuprofen). Perhaps I should try to get my doctors to prescribe regular visits to Hawaii for pineapple consumption. Think the insurance company would go for that?:D

beachchick

My pleasure. I hope you like the Maui Gold. Hm...I have to take anti-inflammatory meds every day (including ibuprofen). Perhaps I should try to get my doctors to prescribe regular visits to Hawaii for pineapple consumption. Think the insurance company would go for that?:D

beachchick

I work in a medical office and we have been asked to write letters to insurance companies to cover stranger things than that! :D

I work in a medical office and we have been asked to write letters to insurance companies to cover stranger things than that! :D

I don't doubt it!:p I sure get tired of the side effects of all the meds, but the alternative isn't great either. I'm not exactly fond of being in constant pain.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

I was speaking to NorthWest about seat assignments, and I mentioned pineapples. She said that their policy is that each person can bring one box of pineapples, and that they charge $10 for each box. I am thinking that every airline is going to have its own unique policy, and it wouldn't hurt people to double-check beforehand if they know they want to bring home some pineapple.

I was speaking to NorthWest about seat assignments, and I mentioned pineapples. She said that their policy is that each person can bring one box of pineapples, and that they charge $10 for each box. I am thinking that every airline is going to have its own unique policy, and it wouldn't hurt people to double-check beforehand if they know they want to bring home some pineapple.

This is good to know and an excellent suggestion. Let me amend my previous statements: United will allow pax to each check two full boxes of pineapple for no extra charge and will allow two carryon smaller boxes per pax; American will allow at least one checked box per pax at no charge and two carryon boxes per pax at no charge; Aloha will allow at least one checked box per pax and two carryon boxes per pax at no extra charge. (Caveat: These are our experiences. With fuel costs skyrocketing, who knows how things might change. The carryon boxes are the smaller three-pineapple sized ones that you can buy after you pass through security.)

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

Just back form Maui and brought back a 10 pineapple box of Maui Gold. It worked out great! The man in the store was so helpful and friendly. I asked him if he was the owner, and he said if he was, he'd be out surfing, not working in the shop! :p

They were waiting for us at the airport with the box (called my cell phone to confirm I was on airport property) and put the box on the AG inspection conveyor for me.

We flew United, and as the box was less than 50 lbs, they counted it as one of our checked bags and there was no charge.

Thanks beachchick! :D

Just back form Maui and brought back a 10 pineapple box of Maui Gold. It worked out great! The man in the store was so helpful and friendly. I asked him if he was the owner, and he said if he was, he'd be out surfing, not working in the shop! :p

They were waiting for us at the airport with the box (called my cell phone to confirm I was on airport property) and put the box on the AG inspection conveyor for me.

We flew United, and as the box was less than 50 lbs, they counted it as one of our checked bags and there was no charge.

Thanks beachchick! :D

Absolutely my pleasure!:D I'm so glad you enjoyed visiting the store (isn't it fun?) and that you were able to order some Maui Golds to take home. The folks at Take Home Maui are so terrific with getting everything to the airport at the right time, and the delivery guys always help us haul our "loot" through the ag inspection.

Interesting that United counted it against your checked bags maximum. Last time we flew out of OGG, we had two checked pieces of luggage (total, not each) plus four boxes of pineapple/onions. No extra charge. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Now you're hooked, I betcha!;) I have to admit that besides the hassle of flying out of HNL last trip (yuck, even late at night), we were so bummed not to be able to bring home our usual Maui Golds. Now granted the Dole pineapples that we picked up at HNL were terrific, no argument there. It's just that Maui Gold is in a class by itself, and once you're hooked, there's no going back.:D

beachchick

I'm not sure if United actually counted it against our luggage max. We just checked 3 bags and the pineapple and didn't even ask.

The man at Take Home Maui said we could cut up our pineapple and freeze it. I assume this is what you do. How is it when you thaw it out? Any tricks/secrets we should know?

Thanks! :)

Yes, we do buy more pineapples (and onions) than we can eat right away. OTOH, we manage to eat at least seven or eight (with breakfast, lunch, and dinner), give six or so as gifts, and use a couple for baking (upside-down cake, muffins, whatever) first. I usually cut and freeze the rest.

It's fine when you thaw it out, but as with all frozen fruit, the texture is soft with more juice separated from the flesh than when it's fresh. Treat it as you would any other frozen fruit. I use it for baking, smoothies, drinks, raitas/relishes/salsas, and into dressing for fruit salad. It's better than canned pineapple, plus you can let it drain while it thaws and use the juice in mixed drinks. (BTW, did you know that the Dole canned pineapple you find in the mainland stores is almost never from Hawaii, but the "store" brands are almost always pineapple from Hawaii--and it's cheaper than the brand name Dole.)

When we cut it to freeze, we typically lay it out on baking sheets (lined with wax paper) so the pieces freeze separately. Once it's frozen, we put it in quart size freezer bags. Usually we cut it all into chunks, but a few times we've done rings for using in upside-down cake

beachchick

Thanks for all the great info. We are flying US Air. Does anyone know if they charge? I would prefer to check my pineapple, but if I have to carry it on, I will. Also i read that you can preorder it at the Dole plantation. How does this work? Will they deliver it to HNL airport?

Thanks!

• 8 years later...

I will be going on the Pride of America Sept. 17 and won't be coming home right away. I was hoping to ship home a box of pineapple and have someone pick up for me at post office. Does it have to be picked up at airport?