Getting married onboard RC Oasis of the seas???

HI,

Im new to cruise critic, but everytime i search on google about Royal Caribbean cruise wedding or Royal Romance this site always comes up so decided to join. I just got engaged on new years 2013 and decided i wanted a cruise wedding. I have been on 4 royal caribbean cruises and ofcourse my favorite was oasis or the allure. My wedding will be in august 2014..hopefully! I like doing everything in advance just in case anything goes wrong.

I have read a lot of reviews and im starting to get a little worried. I have noticed that most of the bad reviews are old posts from past years and i have noticed better ones from resent years i hope RC is getting it together and putting more effort in their weddings since its not the cheapest! I found out that royal romance is a seperate company. can any confirm this for me please! That scares me a little, RC is awesome but when you are dealing with a third party it starts turning into a hassle, specially since i have read so many bad reviews.

I have called several times and yes it does take a while for them to answer but its not so bad. Last time i called, 2 days ago, i wanted to find out the final price more or less for a ceremony and reception onboard on the first day or on one of the sailing days, since the sweethearts package is not available anymore i wanted to have an overview on how much it will all come out to. We are a young couple (in our 20's) and need to manage well our money. The lady told me the samething that i was looking at on my computer screen, and some items like the flowers dont have price, which she couldnt give me an answer to. She then told me that i will need to book the cruise, then call them back to reserve a day and make sure that day is available for my wedding, they will after send me paper work and i have to send it back to them, and lastly another coordinator will call me and give me the final price for everything and when i need to pay it by (which in other words for it to be officially reserved it needs to be paid in full)

Has anyone gone through this? How long does it take for them to call you and confirm everything? Please share any good or bad experience! and pictures if possible!!

Im new to this and a little scared even though im doing everything with enough time ahead! Im open to anything and fully concerned that is on a cruise ship it will not exactly it how i want it but i do have a vision in mind and hope it will at least turn out close to what i desire.

Thank You :)

Royal Romance was run by The Wedding Experience up until recently. TWE has had some horrid reviews, mine included but not fully written here. With all the complaints RCCL has let TWE go and from my understanding are running it all in house now.

Since I got married years ago I can only tell you what I have read and what it was when TWE handled things.

When I was making my reservations they let me hold the wedding date for 48 or 72 hours while I made my cruise reservations. You must have your cruise booked before leaving a deposit for the wedding. I don't recall what my deposit was but I think it was like 10% of the basic package. You can make changes, upgrade packages etc once the deposit is made. The final payment was due, I think, 4 weeks prior to the wedding date.

It does take them time to return phone calls/e-mails. Just stay on them and they will answer all your questions. The closer to the wedding date the more contact you will have with them.

Best advise I can give anyone is always have your contract/receipt with you when you get married. Have your husband, MOH, family member hold them so they are with you for the wedding/reception.

I am getting married in Allure in May and have not thought twice about my decision. No, it has not been perfect with communication, but I Love sailing RCCL and this is where I want my wedding and cruise to be!

When I first called, it took less than a week to get in touch. I did have to call them back. I also did already book my cruise so as soon as I spoke to someone, we booked my wedding. I was sent the contract and had to sign and fax it back and pay in full at the time. This was for the actual ceremony. You pay for the reception 30 days out.

I had further questions and was having a hard time getting in touch with someone who could answer my questions. In November I had to move my July wedding to May and was VERY VERY stressed. I called and they called me back with in a few hours. The women I spoke to this time gave me her direct number and any questions I have had since she has called me back with in 24 hours. They were great with having to change the date in what I felt was so close to the time.

I will keep you posted as it gets closer.

I posed this in another thread. The wedding brochure has all the prices. If is says starting from... then basically that is the price and then you can add on a cake, flowers, band, ect... from the pricing listed in the ala carte section.

The reception part can be confusing. The wedding department can do lunch receptions for non-sailing guests. The groups department can help you rent out a restaurant, do a cocktail hour, or do other special events with your sailing guests.

The RCCL wedding brochure is located at the link below:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal...e_Brochure.pdf

Options that the groups department can help you out with are located at this link:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives....n_guide-1-.pdf

Thank you so much to all!!! I just got off the phone with them again, i call every day! Maybe i should reserve as soon as possible just to save the date. And yes please keep me inform whenever you girls do have ur special day.

Now im just unsure if i should do it he first day or at sea. All of my guest will be staying with us for the rest of the week, but im not too sure about doing it the first day because even if you are staying on the ship they do the ceremony very early before anyone else could board. Otherwise if i do it at sea they could do it later in the afternoon and the reception almost at night and i will have more time to get ready. BUT! the ceremony on the port is a lot cheaper to the one at sea. $2700 vs. $4000 without adding reception and any extras, which i will have to purchase for a large group of about 30 to 40 people.

What do you recommend???

Thank you

royalcaribbeangirl,

I'm actually the groom - lol. We are getting married in March. We are doing it at sea so we don’t have to be rushed, can have a full reception, and so we actually have a view of the sea - which is exactly why we’re getting married on the ship. I’ve seen the departure day weddings and they are over before you know it as they have to complete all events before the lifeboat drill – we are doing the standard wedding cocktail hour and full reception on a sea day.

Plus, if you get married on departure day, the view is usually of cargo ships, parking lots, etc... not exactly stuff out of fairytales. The alternative is to get married in a lounge, but then it is just like getting married in a hotel ballroom at home.

Other options:

You can get married on the ship, but while it is actually parked in one of the island ports. These prices are typically less expensive.

You can also do a "symbolic" wedding at sea which is much cheaper. Basically it’s the same thing, but not legal. You would just have to sign the marriage certificate once you’re back in the United States. We were going to do this, but decided that, at least for us, the full legal wedding at sea was the way to go.

royalcaribbeangirl,

I'm actually the groom - lol. We are getting married in March. We are doing it at sea so we don’t have to be rushed, can have a full reception, and so we actually have a view of the sea - which is exactly why we’re getting married on the ship. I’ve seen the departure day weddings and they are over before you know it as they have to complete all events before the lifeboat drill – we are doing the standard wedding cocktail hour and full reception on a sea day.

Plus, if you get married on departure day, the view is usually of cargo ships, parking lots, etc... not exactly stuff out of fairytales. The alternative is to get married in a lounge, but then it is just like getting married in a hotel ballroom at home.

Other options:

You can get married on the ship, but while it is actually parked in one of the island ports. These prices are typically less expensive.

You can also do a "symbolic" wedding at sea which is much cheaper. Basically it’s the same thing, but not legal. You would just have to sign the marriage certificate once you’re back in the United States. We were going to do this, but decided that, at least for us, the full legal wedding at sea was the way to go.

Thank u n sorry for my mistake lol yea I just spoke to the person that is part of the group reservation n she told me to do it at sea. Now I know u need to get a bahamas marriage license. How does that work? Did u have to do it n is it complicated ?

Thank you so much to all!!! I just got off the phone with them again, i call every day! Maybe i should reserve as soon as possible just to save the date. And yes please keep me inform whenever you girls do have ur special day.

Now im just unsure if i should do it he first day or at sea. All of my guest will be staying with us for the rest of the week, but im not too sure about doing it the first day because even if you are staying on the ship they do the ceremony very early before anyone else could board. Otherwise if i do it at sea they could do it later in the afternoon and the reception almost at night and i will have more time to get ready. BUT! the ceremony on the port is a lot cheaper to the one at sea. $2700 vs. $4000 without adding reception and any extras, which i will have to purchase for a large group of about 30 to 40 people.

What do you recommend???

Thank you

Hey,

Curious because you are a young couple like myself did you look at carnival's weddings? I know you love RCL i do too but they are really expensive. You are looking at buying package that doesnt include any guests yet! Very scary when i saw there prices might as well get married at home for those prices. Carnival has packages that can include up to 20 people which definately cuts costs! just wondered if you looked into other options :) Happy planning!

Hey,

Curious because you are a young couple like myself did you look at carnival's weddings? I know you love RCL i do too but they are really expensive. You are looking at buying package that doesnt include any guests yet! Very scary when i saw there prices might as well get married at home for those prices. Carnival has packages that can include up to 20 people which definately cuts costs! just wondered if you looked into other options :) Happy planning!

Thank You, i will look into carnival too even though RC is my first option. I thought the packages was for any amount of guest just the reception that you would need to pay for each guest. I dont know i will definetly look into that.

Thanks!

The ship is handling the license. We have to give copies of our passports and fill out an application. They told us it's more complicated if you are divorced, but neither of us are so that's all I know.

OHH ok! Not that bad do you know if you have to go to the bahamas courthouse? Sorry for all the questions They wont answer half of my questions until i reserve which is why im a little concern.

Thank You, i will look into carnival too even though RC is my first option. I thought the packages was for any amount of guest just the reception that you would need to pay for each guest. I dont know i will definetly look into that.

Thanks!

I am also an RCCL girl and about a year ago, I tried carnival. This ship was not for me. With that being said, this is your wedding and you will be spending a week on board. Make sure you have the wedding and honeymoon you will want to remember. I am on a budget but there are some things I will not compromise on.

I am also an RCCL girl and about a year ago, I tried carnival. This ship was not for me. With that being said, this is your wedding and you will be spending a week on board. Make sure you have the wedding and honeymoon you will want to remember. I am on a budget but there are some things I will not compromise on.

Yeaa I totally agree with you. Thanks

For the "At Sea" weddings, no Bahamas courthouse visit is necessary. There is just a form and copies of documents that you have to provide. Royal Caribbean will do everything else for you. Because the ship is registered in the Bahamas, you will be getting married in the "Bahamas" even when you’re in the middle of the ocean. You don't even have to be on a cruise that makes a stop in the Bahamas.

I saw you asked about flowers. Since you can't take real flowers off the ship anyway due to customs regulations, your best bet is to get "real touch" flowers to bring on with you. These are very high-end silk arrangements that look and feel exactly like the real flowers. We used http://www.createdbymedezigns.com/ and they turned out great.

If you don’t want to rent out a specialty restaurant because of cost, but want a reception - the groups department can make group reservations at one of the restaurants for you and you just pay the $20-30 a head - whatever the regular rate is for the restaurant. They can even combine tables to make several large tables. Reservations with more than 19 are asked to order off of a menu with slightly fewer selections so that they can still provide good service.

For the "At Sea" weddings, no Bahamas courthouse visit is necessary. There is just a form and copies of documents that you have to provide. Royal Caribbean will do everything else for you. Because the ship is registered in the Bahamas, you will be getting married in the "Bahamas" even when you’re in the middle of the ocean. You don't even have to be on a cruise that makes a stop in the Bahamas.

I saw you asked about flowers. Since you can't take real flowers off the ship anyway due to customs regulations, your best bet is to get "real touch" flowers to bring on with you. These are very high-end silk arrangements that look and feel exactly like the real flowers. We used http://www.createdbymedezigns.com/ and they turned out great.

If you don’t want to rent out a specialty restaurant because of cost, but want a reception - the groups department can make group reservations at one of the restaurants for you and you just pay the $20-30 a head - whatever the regular rate is for the restaurant. They can even combine tables to make several large tables. Reservations with more than 19 are asked to order off of a menu with slightly fewer selections so that they can still provide good service.

Thank you! Those flowers are beautiful! and ill look into the reception

• 6 months later...
royalcaribbeangirl,

Other options:

Can you tell us how your wedding went? I am curious as to which venue you used, as well as who the officiant was; and overall your experience.

Thank you!

Archived