Key West ?

Shmoo here

Not really HAL related, but I know many of you have been to Key West.

When visiting Key West as a port of call, there are no special immigration procedures to get off the ship are there? Does it make a difference is the previous port of call is a foreign port or US port?

Last time we visited on the Eurodam (11/13), we arrived via a foreign port and had to do the flash-the-passport-at-the-immigration-officials routine. It didn't take long; you get in line when they call your deck, and the line moves very quickly. My DH had booked a private kayak fishing thing, and he went through the check and was off the boat in plenty of time to catch his guide.

Edited by hrhdhd

Thanks everyone. The only time we stopped at Key West on a cruise was the HAL Panama Canal (Boston/San Diego). And we had Port Canaveral & Fort Lauderdale just preceding, so just a "regular" port stop for us. If you stop at a foreign port prior to Key West, everyone has to be checked before the ship is cleared for getting off there.

I did find out that it's an immigration check only (passports). And yes, you still have to do customs (and immigration again) at your final port.

Whatever formalities one has to go through are entirely worth it for a piece of Key Lime Pie at the Rooftop Café. Seriously.

You don't have to convince me. A cruise stop in Key West made me want to go back for more. A couple of years, I spent 4 days in Key West after a cruise and I still want to go back for more.

"I did find out that it's an immigration check only (passports). And yes, you still have to do customs (and immigration again) at your final port."

That sounds familiar. I cruised on the old Noordam many years ago with a stop at Key West. If I remember correctly, all of us with foreign passports had to meet in the theatre and we left the ship in a group. Sounds like things haven't changed.

"I did find out that it's an immigration check only (passports). And yes, you still have to do customs (and immigration again) at your final port."

That sounds familiar. I cruised on the old Noordam many years ago with a stop at Key West. If I remember correctly, all of us with foreign passports had to meet in the theatre and we left the ship in a group. Sounds like things haven't changed.

Everyone has to present their passports, not just the non US people. Even if you aren't getting off the ship for excursions or anything.

It must be noted that until EVERY passport is checked NOBODY may leave the ship in Key West. The process of passport checking takes only a few minutes but rounding up all of the passengers can be difficult.

On our cruise two years ago, a number of Russians, who did not speak English, were wandering about the ship during the Immigration check and their English-speaking tour guide could not find them. After searching for nearly 30 minutes past the disembarkation time, an announcement in Russian was given over the public address system advising them of a large impending monetary penalty.

The missing found their way to the Immigration check and the ship was cleared for disembarkation 45 minutes late.

Yes, I think it's immigration in Fort Lauderdale, not customs but I'm likely wrong.

You definitely have to clear Customs in FLL (or whichever is your final port) when disembarking. That is the inspection of the things you are bringing into the country while Immigration is the inspection of people entering.

Did they put a sticker or something on your ID card? We have had that done in some ports that require Immigration check. Once each person clears, they can leave the ship without waiting for everyone to clear but there was either a slip of paper or something they gave us to present at the gangway.

Did they put a sticker or something on your ID card? We have had that done in some ports that require Immigration check. Once each person clears, they can leave the ship without waiting for everyone to clear but there was either a slip of paper or something they gave us to present at the gangway.

On our last time in Key West, a small half moon was punched out of our room key card by the Immigration folks.

On our last time in Key West, a small half moon was punched out of our room key card by the Immigration folks.

No. They put a hole punch in it. We were in the first group that went through immigration, and as soon as they punched our card we were welcome to leave the boat.

Thanks. :)

Now that you mention it, I do remember they punched a hole. I remembered they provided some indication for us to show at the gangway so they knew we had cleared Immigration. :)

No. They put a hole punch in it. We were in the first group that went through immigration, and as soon as they punched our card we were welcome to leave the boat.

It depends on the cruise line. Usually they scan your card. On my last HAL cruise, they were using the new scanners at the muster drill, so hole punching may not be necessary anymore.