Roll Call: May 22, 2011 - Nieuw Amsterdam - Roundtrip Venice

jblazzze

Hi vcarlett!

We will be spending the week before the crusie is southern Italy, but we are flying to Florence on May 21st just so we can go to the Uffizi Gallery. How are you planning to get to Venice? We were going to take the train.

Best,

Joe and Geoff

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! This is Tom & Steve from Boston, and we would love to meet other GLBT couples on the trip. We're also in our 40's/50's and have been married for 6 years. This will be our first cruise ever.

I was hoping to get at least one or more couples to join us for the Rijsttafel dinner, perhaps sightseeing too. If your interested this link goes to my Facebook account:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2060973&id=1531507771&l=0e3a60922a

• 1 month later...

Hello all - just to advise that on the general "roll call" for this cruise, I see someone has organized the following:

Meet and Mingle Party on May 25, 2011

Just a reminder that there will be a Meet and Mingle Party on Wed., 5/25/2011 at 11:00 AM. Please see Post #199 for details. Please RSVP by May 11.

I see at least two gay couples have rsvp'd, along with around 30 straight people. So not a specifically gay gathering, but maybe still a nice chance for all Cruise Critic followers to meet?

Go to roll call, Holland America, and follow to Nieuw Amsterdam and this cruise, then post #199.

It's not my post or thread, just letting you know about it.

Hi everyone,

My apologies that I have been ignoring all the cruise posts recently. I had forgotten how much work going on vacation actually was!

We actually leave the states on Monday and arrive in Rome on Tuesday. For anyone touring Italy before the cruise, we will be in Rome until 5/14, Sorrento 5/14-5/18, Reggio Calabria 5/18-5/21, Florence 5/21, and finally a train to Venice on 5/22. If anyone happens to be in any of those cities at those times, we would love to get together for a meal or sightseeing. We are also planning to just do some walking tours of Venice on our own when we get there - perhaps a Vivaldi Concert if there is one.

We have also signed up for the following tours and would love any company on the tours:

Split - no tour - we had been there once before and would like to stroll around on our own

Athens - Deluxe Archeological Athens

Istanbul - Deluxe Istanbul parts 1 & 2

Mykonos - Mythological Delos

Kusadasi - The Best of Ephesus

Santorini - none right now. I am hoping that the Archeological sites might have reopened, if not, we were thinking about seeing if we can do a boat to the island.

Katakolon - Ancient Olympia and the Museums

Venice - Murano and Burano with airport transfer

We had also booked a table at the early dinner seating for four. Unfortunately, some friends ours needed to cancel their trip, so we have space for two at our table. If anyone has a larger table and has room for two, we wouldn't mind changing our table assignment.

We are looking forward to meeting all of you soon!

Sorry, we haven't been on the boards but busy with all the details of getting ready. I will try to get out and sign up the four of us for the meet and greet.

Staying in Florence for a week and train to Venice on the 22nd. Have booked lots of tours but hope to meet up with you on the ship. Hope they have a friends of Dorothy and maybe we can meet up. Anyway looking forward to this trip with our two friends Janet and Sue. Don't have our rooms assigned yet but hope to soon. Anyway hope to meet all of you over the course of our trip. Paula and Vonnie

Hi Joe and Geoff.

We only booked two excursions: Mythological Delos and Olympia/Winery.

Regarding Santorini: From what I've read Akritori came tantilizingly close to opening May 2011, but that was posponed to next year. The other archeological site - Ancient Thera - is accessible by car or hike up a mountain. It closes at 2 PM. I can't decide to go to that or Oia. Its too bad the ship leaves so early, sunset at Oia is suppodedly one of the great places in the world for that sort of thing.

I was wondering if anyone had plans for the Reijstaffel dinner at Tamarind - its a multi-course feast they only do for groups of four or larger. Any interest in doing an LGBT one?

Oh, and thanks for 'Friending' me, but it appears this site doesn't have any messaging capeability between friends, so if you (or anyone in this post, for that matter) would like to contact us via Facebook, check out "Tom Choinski" from Boston. Or my husband, Steve Jewett.

(below is a link to one of my photo galleries accociated to my account)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32113214&l=be47278c5b&id=1531507771

Hi Joe and Geoff.

We only booked two excursions: Mythological Delos and Olympia/Winery.

Regarding Santorini: From what I've read Akritori came tantilizingly close to opening May 2011, but that was posponed to next year. The other archeological site - Ancient Thera - is accessible by car or hike up a mountain. It closes at 2 PM. I can't decide to go to that or Oia. Its too bad the ship leaves so early, sunset at Oia is suppodedly one of the great places in the world for that sort of thing.

I was wondering if anyone had plans for the Reijstaffel dinner at Tamarind - its a multi-course feast they only do for groups of four or larger. Any interest in doing an LGBT one?

Hi there,

Yes, we'd be interested in the Rijsttafel Dinner at Tamarind with a little LGBT get together!

We have dinner plans at Tamarind already on May 25 at 8pm...does that work for you all? Since there is a small supplement for eating there, shall we each make our own advance reservations, and then on board we advise Tamarind to put the various tables together for a Rijstaffel group?

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Kevin and Stewart

Hi there,

Yes, we'd be interested in the Rijsttafel Dinner at Tamarind with a little LGBT get together!

We have dinner plans at Tamarind already on May 25 at 8pm...does that work for you all? Since there is a small supplement for eating there, shall we each make our own advance reservations, and then on board we advise Tamarind to put the various tables together for a Rijstaffel group?

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Kevin and Stewart

Awesome! Currently we have Pinnacle Dates for the 25th, and seeing its the first 'At Sea' day it will very likely be Formal Night ('Formal Rijstaffel' sounds fun, actually). We can be flexible. Feel free to contact me via my Facebook link in the previous post - it will lead you to my FB account.

I think that we might pass. I couldn't find details on the Rijstaffel dinner and between Geoff and myself we have a lot of food allergies. It is generally best for us to stick to meat and potatoes, but we would love to meet for drinks before or after or meet up before the evening's show.

Joe

Archived