Dining with the "below decks" crew?

Many SD'ers like to dine with the bridge officers and hotel management, but what about the rest of the crew? Any opportunity to talk to the mechanics, tender drivers, etc.? Seems they woukd have some interesting stories.

Or would they rather spend their very limited free time skyping with home and hoisting a few with their mates in the crew lounge, rather that listen to us old has-beens drone on.....

Any opportunity to hang in the crew lounge, etc.? I bet they have better beer down there :D

Many SD'ers like to dine with the bridge officers and hotel management, but what about the rest of the crew? Any opportunity to talk to the mechanics, tender drivers, etc.? Seems they woukd have some interesting stories.

Or would they rather spend their very limited free time skyping with home and hoisting a few with their mates in the crew lounge, rather that listen to us old has-beens drone on.....

Any opportunity to hang in the crew lounge, etc.? I bet they have better beer down there :D

I suspect your second paragraph is accurate but, having been an "up through the ranks" sailor myself, I too have always liked the interaction with "regular" crew. Years ago, I made friends with a Barman (go figure) on QE2. He took me late one night to the Pig & Whistle, one of the crew bars on QE2, where we had the good English bitter and darts. Way down in the bowels of the ship. It was a great night. A few months later, he showed up with his DW for a visit to our home in Florida. We stayed in touch for many years till his passing. Getting to know your crew can be a good thing.

I suspect your second paragraph is accurate but, having been an "up through the ranks" sailor myself, I too have always liked the interaction with "regular" crew. Years ago, I made friends with a Barman (go figure) on QE2. He took me late one night to the Pig & Whistle, one of the crew bars on QE2, where we had the good English bitter and darts. Way down in the bowels of the ship. It was a great night. A few months later, he showed up with his DW for a visit to our home in Florida. We stayed in touch for many years till his passing. Getting to know your crew can be a good thing.

I too got to spend a couple of nights at the Pig & Whistle on QE2. Great times and I was assured it was a privilege.

I too got to spend a couple of nights at the Pig & Whistle on QE2. Great times and I was assured it was a privilege.

Yep, not many tourists down there. Also, the best beer on the ship. As Archie Bunker used to sing: "Those were the days"..:D

I suspect they'd rather be skyping and drinking -- and I bet the only one who could get an invitation below decks in H-H!

Vandrefalk

......and Hum would never, ever, ever go to the crew quarters, even when he has very rarely been invited to do so, he has always graciously declined.

Neither would he meet up with crew in port either (unless it was pre-arranged).

You know it's not because Hum is un-friendly......it is out of respect for their precious time and space. Some are on that ship for 9 months and they work very hard, so time away is important for them especially off the ship when they can go to a cafe, have a coffee and get free wifi and skype home to their family and loved ones.

It seems their DNA is to be of service, even in their precious breaks !!

Hum will have none of it.....spend time with your family or alone.

Very occasionally Hum has been beckoned over to speak to a partner or family member (some of whom Hum has met) on FaceTime to say a hello (usually at the "Soggy Dollar" bar on JVD after lunch service when the crew hang out there).

And occasionally Hum is asked to meet a family member or loved one at a port the ship is visiting. Hum smartens himself up, puts on a jacket, buys a small gift and presents himself to the person or persons and extols the virtues of their progeny or partner or whatever: not as a "mate" but as a respectful guest. Yes it may be a tad formal but it is the respect Hum wishes to demonstrate for them.

But occasionally old Hum will be "TOLD" to turn up for a drink/dance at a club by the crew with Blondie of course (usually at some un-Godly hour when Hum prefers to be in bed scrolling various internet sites.....especially this one !).

Hum pays for drinks when it his "round" and never before.....usually after 4/5 "rounds" have been bought.

Hum and Blondie are one of the crew on those nights.....and thank Gawd too.

No special privileges but they care for Hum as they would one another.

It is time for Hum to be just one of the boys and Blondie to be one of the girls.....and that's the way we like it.....being a humble part and never ever being the centre piece....Gawd no.

And by heavens we have had some fantastic nights.

Hum drags Blondie back to the ship after a few hours....leaving the crew to themselves to discuss Hum's amazing dance moves, no doubt and for them to be just crew together.

Don't forget they have to work too and that may be one reason Hum has never seen them too inebriated.

Raggy is coming from the right place and knowing the crew, they would love him to join them on a night out.