Pricing changes prior to final payment

bjkrlk

I don't understand booking a cruise so far in advance anyway. I am in awe of people who think they know what they're schedules are and how their health will be up to 1.5 years ahead of time.

Even now that we are both retired, I can't possibly envision seeing that far into the future. We usually book 3 - 6 months out and have been happy with all our cruises.

We sometimes book over a year ahead of time, using Future Cruise Deposits (which basically costs us nothing for deposits). Normally I do this to lock in a good deal.

We have been able to get some great deals this way, and of course we can always cancel before final payment if things change. On my upcoming cruise I paid about $1500 for a 10 day cruise on the Koningsdam - now the fare (still three months out) is going for almost $3000! The price seemed low to me when I booked and within 2-3 weeks it increased by 50%, so perhaps HAL made a mistake on this new ship.

One tip - do not take out HAL cancellation insurance prior to final payment, as it is non-refundable. You can still take it out anytime up to final payment.

We sometimes book over a year ahead of time, using Future Cruise Deposits (which basically costs us nothing for deposits). Normally I do this to lock in a good deal.

We have been able to get some great deals this way, and of course we can always cancel before final payment if things change. On my upcoming cruise I paid about $1500 for a 10 day cruise on the Koningsdam - now the fare (still three months out) is going for almost $3000! The price seemed low to me when I booked and within 2-3 weeks it increased by 50%, so perhaps HAL made a mistake on this new ship.

One tip - do not take out HAL cancellation insurance prior to final payment, as it is non-refundable. You can still take it out anytime up to final payment.

I have had the same experience. I booked early. It pays to watch, even daily for price change. Yeah, I am obsessive, but it paid off because over the weekend there was short lived price drop which I was able to obtain. The price was back up on Monday.

Good advice on waiting until later on the cancellation insurance. If I see something better down the road, I may cancel and change my booking.

I don't understand booking a cruise so far in advance anyway. I am in awe of people who think they know what they're schedules are and how their health will be up to 1.5 years ahead of time.

Even now that we are both retired, I can't possibly envision seeing that far into the future. We usually book 3 - 6 months out and have been happy with all our cruises.

Anything is cancell-able up until a couple a months of a cruise. The only drawback is tying up a deposit for a long time. Sometimes there are reduced deposits that would help there.

Anything is cancell-able up until a couple a months of a cruise. The only drawback is tying up a deposit for a long time. Sometimes there are reduced deposits that would help there.

Thats where having a couple of Future Cruise Deposits (purchased onboard) really comes in handy. For $100 pp you get to use this amount for your deposit (on most cruises) and really you have already paid the $100 while onboard, so nothing comes out of your pocket at booking time. If you cancel the cruise, the FCD just goes back into "inventory" and you can use it again in the future.

I always like to have two FCDs per person available, in case I book a back to back or two cruises close to each other.

Our problem is that we've found if we don't book a year plus out we get overtaken by other events or circumstances. Up until a couple of years ago we were both working and it was a matter of balancing not only our personal schedules but the requirements of two jobs. It's a bit easier now that I'm semi-retired but we still have to schedule around Mrs. K's work. In the end it just works better for us to pick a cruise and date and plan around that rather than hope we can squeeze something in.

Thats where having a couple of Future Cruise Deposits (purchased onboard) really comes in handy. For $100 pp you get to use this amount for your deposit (on most cruises) and really you have already paid the $100 while onboard, so nothing comes out of your pocket at booking time. If you cancel the cruise, the FCD just goes back into "inventory" and you can use it again in the future.

I always like to have two FCDs per person available, in case I book a back to back or two cruises close to each other.

Agree Dave. FCD's are very handy. We usually have to deposit more because of the longer cruises but it's not a large amount as it is equivalent to the FCD cost for that length of a cruise.

Our problem is that we've found if we don't book a year plus out we get overtaken by other events or circumstances. Up until a couple of years ago we were both working and it was a matter of balancing not only our personal schedules but the requirements of two jobs. It's a bit easier now that I'm semi-retired but we still have to schedule around Mrs. K's work. In the end it just works better for us to pick a cruise and date and plan around that rather than hope we can squeeze something in.

Great minds think alike. Our work situation is reversed, but it's the same situation. If we book, we can plan, use FF miles quite often if we book far enough in advance, etc. We don't always book 1.5 years out but often over a year. Our most recent booking was over 10 months out. Since we booked the cost of the cruise has risen by $4,000 pp for our category. So, we seem to have done well booking early ;)

We're retired, and we book our cruises as soon as new itineraries are opened for booking. Not only do we get our pick of cabins, but the prices are generally at their lowest. If prices do go down, we simply refare.

As for scheduling, once we've made our booking(s), we simply schedule around our cruise dates.

Health issues can arise even if you book 3-6 months out, but travel insurance covers that concern.

Sure, tying up you deposit isn't wonderful, but with interest rates the way they are, I'm not losing a bundle. Besides, the cheaper cruise fare more than compensates for the longer period my money's tied up as a down payment.

That is handy. But doesn't work for me though because I don't cruise exclusively with HAL. My last two, once a year, cruises were on NCL because they had itineraries not matched by HAL.

That is handy. But doesn't work for me though because I don't cruise exclusively with HAL. My last two, once a year, cruises were on NCL because they had itineraries not matched by HAL.

The nice thing aout the Future Cruise Deposit is that it is only $100 and, if you don't use it, they are now refundable. So, really you don't have anything to lose (other than interest on $100 for 4 years IF you don't cruise HAL) ;)

The nice thing aout the Future Cruise Deposit is that it is only $100 and, if you don't use it, they are now refundable. So, really you don't have anything to lose (other than interest on $100 for 4 years IF you don't cruise HAL) ;)

Interesting....I didn't know it was refundable.

Too bad it can only be purchased on board. Although I do see sales sometimes with reduced deposits. But that isn't always a plus when at that time fares might be higher during those "sales". Then a reduced deposit doesn't have long term value if in the end the cruise costs more.

Edited by Tinknock50

To some people, getting a specific stateroom really matters. Waiting until fares drop, usually results in a 'guarantee' booking where, for an Outside room, you take the chance of being assigned a smaller than average stateroom, with portholes, in the bow, next to an anchor chain locker on Dolphin Deck. Eeeeeew!

HAL is moving towards non-refundable deposits on full fare, 'early' bookings - in my case, more than 16 months from sailing and, HAL's Platinum Cancellation Plan is exorbitant at approx. 10% of the fare.

You must be a stockholder.

I have booked guarantees before and I could choose the category but not the cabin. So I could choose a category that that has a window in a good area of the ship. They never put you in a lower category that has a porthole. So as long as you are happy with the category you choose, you won't be disappointed and may even get a pleasant surprise. :)

I supposed there might be some "one week before the cruise" guarantees that are run of ship and they can put you ANYWHERE, but I don't think I would go for that.

I like your priorities ....plan your life around the cruise not vice versa. :)

Too bad it can only be purchased on board. Although I do see sales sometimes with reduced deposits. But that isn't always a plus when at that time fares might be higher during those "sales". Then a reduced deposit doesn't have long term value if in the end the cruise costs more.

True, it has to be purchased on board, but if you need one and trust someone who is on a cruise or about to board, they can purchase one for you. All they need is your mariner number or the phone number that is associated with your account.

I have purchased several for others, in one case as an incentive to try HAL for some friends that have sailed on Carnival and Princess.

If you have any friends that are cruising on HAL,they can purchase the FCD'sfor you as well - just need your Mariner number(s) and name(s) as registered with HAL and, of course, you have to pay for it ;)

They are indeed refundable now. They didn't used to be but that changed a while ago.

True, it has to be purchased on board, but if you need one and trust someone who is on a cruise or about to board, they can purchase one for you. All they need is your mariner number or the phone number that is associated with your account.

I have purchased several for others, in one case as an incentive to try HAL for some friends that have sailed on Carnival and Princess.

If you have any friends that are cruising on HAL,they can purchase the FCD'sfor you as well - just need your Mariner number(s) and name(s) as registered with HAL and, of course, you have to pay for it ;)

They are indeed refundable now. They didn't used to be but that changed a while ago.

Hmmmm......I may have just found two new friends. :)

On the other hand,I will be on the Eurodam next June ( if I don't get lured by a better price on another line) and may buy then. :)

I have booked guarantees before and I could choose the category but not the cabin. So I could choose a category that that has a window in a good area of the ship. They never put you in a lower category that has a porthole. So as long as you are happy with the category you choose, you won't be disappointed and may even get a pleasant surprise. :)

I supposed there might be some "one week before the cruise" guarantees that are run of ship and they can put you ANYWHERE, but I don't think I would go for that.

(bolding by me)

That's an interesting thought - I have always wondered why most cruiselines just give you a balcony guarantee, a suite Gty, an inside Gty etc. but this can be a box of worms as well as a pleasurable surprise.

If with HAL you can choose the sub-categories you may at least get the minimum you're content with - like an Oceanview cabin with a real window. Seems like a compromise.

Personally I'd prefer to book a specific cabin but it's another of the HAL surprises - on some of the cruises it is not even possible to choose as ALL categories are Guarantees... And sometimes you're stuck with that even when booking a long time before the cruise if you are keen on a specific itinerary!

(bolding by me)

That's an interesting thought - I have always wondered why most cruiselines just give you a balcony guarantee, a suite Gty, an inside Gty etc. but this can be a box of worms as well as a pleasurable surprise.

If with HAL you can choose the sub-categories you may at least get the minimum you're content with - like an Oceanview cabin with a real window. Seems like a compromise.

Personally I'd prefer to book a specific cabin but it's another of the HAL surprises - on some of the cruises it is not even possible to choose as ALL categories are Guarantees... And sometimes you're stuck with that even when booking a long time before the cruise if you are keen on a specific itinerary!

That's what I mean. I have booked a category "H" guarantee for example on ships that have NO portholes in that category. Therefore I am sure of getting a window. It would be another story if it were just an "outside" guarantee.

For what it is worth, anytime I have booked a guarantee with HAL, they have always put me in very good location and cabin. I don't think HAL wants to tick you off by giving you the worst. You have done them a favor after all by going guarantee. Of course that may not be everyone's experience and you may get something not to your liking.

Everyone here seems very familiar with the explore 4 pkg so I apologize for asking about it since it wasnt original topic. I was told the limit was $8 per drink. I see drinks for $7.95 that we would order but once the service charge is added, it will be more than $8. Does it mean those $7.95 drinks cannot be purchased on this plan?

I like your priorities ....plan your life around the cruise not vice versa. :)

Actually easier to say than to do. :) Despite all the planning in 22 years of cruising we have had to cancel two cruises because of work or personal issues so stuff happens. Luckily, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, we only have the one job to work around and have a very small family with only six of us. No parents, no young children, and we're the elders in thankfully pretty good health. As long as cruise lines and TAs allow cancellation and refund of deposits with no penalty we'll continue to book as far out as possible.

Everyone here seems very familiar with the explore 4 pkg so I apologize for asking about it since it wasnt original topic. I was told the limit was $8 per drink. I see drinks for $7.95that we would order but once the service charge is added, it will be more than $8. Does it mean those $7.95 drinks cannot be purchased on this plan?

Yes, $7.95 drinks can be purchased. The $8 limit is for the drink price.

Now, back to the topic.

Actually easier to say than to do. :) Despite all the planning in 22 years of cruising we have had to cancel two cruises because of work or personal issues so stuff happens. Luckily, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, we only have the one job to work around and have a very small family with only six of us. No parents, no young children, and we're the elders in thankfully pretty good health. As long as cruise lines and TAs allow cancellation and refund of deposits with no penalty we'll continue to book as far out as possible.

I have a rule to check the agencies cancellation policy before I use them. I don't want to loose even a small amount if and when I see a better deal elsewhere.

I have a rule to check the agencies cancellation policy before I use them. I don't want to loose even a small amount if and when I see a better deal elsewhere.

Absolutely. One of the cardinal rules. We've settled, at least for the time being, with an agency that doesn't charge a cancellation or other administrative fees but would certainly look elsewhere if they did.

In reply to the question: I booked a Nov 5th cruise with HAL about 6 months ago, got the bargain basement price with no perks. I made the final payment 4 weeks ago. The price recently dropped by $100 pp, I contacted my TA and he got us a $50 pp OBC. Now the price has gone above what I paid for the cabin! It pays to keep watching the prices, and also asking HAL for perks if the price drops. They have been very generous in our case!

• 8 months later...

I have not read this thread completely so I do not know if this question has been asked, but our final payment notice does not include a statement regarding our "Special Services" statement that has been on all previous agreed on statements sent to us before. My question is, will this that mean we do not now have that special service anymore if it not now stated on this notice? I just got the notice via e-mail and have sent a request back to Hal and of course they are not available at this hour, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.