Stay off the Triumph

zeddy777

Last week we sailed the Triumph and were very disapointed. For over half the cruise the motor couldn't run at full power so we missed Cozumel totally. The room lights were falling and the hallway outside our door smelled like sewage several times. This ship should be docked now. If you're booked on this ship, I'd op for another Carnival ship. This was our 4th Carnival trip. The other three were good ships.

Yeah, I heard about that. I'm sorry about your experience. That happened to me too on the Celebration. Our cruise wound up going nowhere. The sewage smell thing is actually typical on all ships at sea, but with the problems Triumph was having, that possibly could have had some effect on that. I had 2 magnificent cruises on Triumph. She is my 2nd favorite ship. But I don't blame you at all for how you feel after a negative experience like that. But for others booked on this ship, if this propulsion problem gets fixed, it'll be much better.

Last week we sailed the Triumph and were very disapointed. For over half the cruise the motor couldn't run at full power so we missed Cozumel totally. The room lights were falling and the hallway outside our door smelled like sewage several times. This ship should be docked now. If you're booked on this ship, I'd op for another Carnival ship. This was our 4th Carnival trip. The other three were good ships.

I am so disappointed and bummed out reading the OP comments about the Triumph. Until now, I have been super excited about our upcoming cruise on her in May. But after reading this,...I just want to cancel, and not cruise at all. This was going to be my second cruise ever, and the first was so great.

I did see where Carnival emailed the passengers for that cruise, explaining about the propulsion problems and that the schedule would be altered. They offered full refunds to whomever wanted to cancel. If that had been me, I would have cancelled and picked another ship and or date to sail. Wondering if the OP was aware of the propulsion problems before boarding.

I am so disappointed and bummed out reading the OP comments about the Triumph. Until now, I have been super excited about our upcoming cruise on her in May. But after reading this,...I just want to cancel, and not cruise at all. This was going to be my second cruise ever, and the first was so great.

I did see where Carnival emailed the passengers for that cruise, explaining about the propulsion problems and that the schedule would be altered. They offered full refunds to whomever wanted to cancel. If that had been me, I would have cancelled and picked another ship and or date to sail. Wondering if the OP was aware of the propulsion problems before boarding.

Don't worry. By May, this problem should be fixed. When this same thing happened to me on Celebration, the ship was fixed within a couple sailings. Don't worry about it. The OP is very disappointed in the cruise, and I can certainly empathize with him/her on that, but this is not the norm for Triumph. She is a great ship, with some of the best shows of all of Carnival's ships, and a magnificent crew. Please read my review of the ship here, from just 2 months ago. The OP probably doesn't want to read my positive review, which is understandable, but it will help you. When the Triumph doesn't have this propulsion problem, which is almost all the time, she is a great ship, and gets almost no negative reviews around these forums.

Yeah, we've ben reading about the propulsion problems. Just never hear about the plans for the fix. And lost track.

Betcha wished you took a refund.

Yup, you'd better cancel. They'll just let the ship float around a few more months before fixing it:D

When did you sail? I am guessing you were on the 1/28 cruise.

We were on Triumph for the 1/28 cruise. One of the propulsion systems failed during the 1/24 cruise and they were late to Cozumel and only got to spend 4 hours there. There were also late getting back to Galveston for our cruise. On our 1/28 cruise, we ended up spending the night in Progreso for repairs and missed Cozumel completely. We even left Progreso 4 hours late because they had to wait for parts and tools. I am pretty sure they got the propulsion system fixed on the way back because they told us we would arrive in Galveston late at 11:30 AM. The next day they said 10:30 AM. We actually arrived in Galveston at 8:30 AM and we walked off the ship at 9:11 AM.

I am curious if the following 2/2 cruise had problems.

Please don't be bummed. If the problem is not already repaired it will be by the time you get on the ship. I have been on the Triumph several times and have had a great cruise each time. I am looking to book her again for May myself.

When did you sail? I am guessing you were on the 1/28 cruise.

We were on Triumph for the 1/28 cruise. One of the propulsion systems failed during the 1/24 cruise and they were late to Cozumel and only got to spend 4 hours there. There were also late getting back to Galveston for our cruise. On our 1/28 cruise, we ended up spending the night in Progreso for repairs and missed Cozumel completely. We even left Progreso 4 hours late because they had to wait for parts and tools. I am pretty sure they got the propulsion system fixed on the way back because they told us we would arrive in Galveston late at 11:30 AM. The next day they said 10:30 AM. We actually arrived in Galveston at 8:30 AM and we walked off the ship at 9:11 AM.

I am curious if the following 2/2 cruise had problems.

I just checked the Galveston Cruise cam and the Triumph is back in port from the 2/2 cruise and it is 7:17 AM. It wasn't scheduled to arrive until 8:30 so I would guess the propulsion problem is fixed.

Thanks for the replies. This was indeed the 1/28 cruise. I think i read a very similar report from someone back in December of 2012. I have enjoyed our other 3 cruises on Fantasy, Elation, and Conquest. We will probably sail with them again, but never on that ship. I heard it's going in for an overhaul in 2014. Wonder why? I try not to be critical, but this one was over the top. Our friends were in a balcony room and had 'yellow water' coming out of the sink faucet. When they reported this to proper authorities, someone came up there and let the water out then left. Just be careful if you book on this one.

I had an amazing time on the Triumph and just booked again. I'd imagine once they get the propulsion issue fixed it will be back to normal. I don't know that warning people to stay off the ship indefinitely is really appropriate when the issue can and will be rectified. Either way sorry this happened to you OP and hope your next cruise is problem free!

Hate it left a bad taste in your mouth, I have been on her 3 times and am going again in April. Guess it's not that big a deal breaker for me cause I just love being on the ship. I love Coz. but wouldn't be that big a deal to me if I missed it! Just love being on the water! Hope your next one goes better!!!!

I was also on this cruise and it was my first cruise. I guess I was just lucky, no smells, good water, great service, vacation, awesome staff, great food and lots of fun. Was I disappointed that we missed Cozumel? Absolutely. Did Carnival inform me before I cruised that we would be overnighting in one port or the other? Yes. Did Carnival offer me a full refund if I chose not to cruise or an OBC of $50 per person if I chose to go ahead and cruise (and a $15 per person credit for lunch because of the late boarding)? Yes they did. I felt the staff did what they could to make the best out of a bad situation. I was on vacation and DW and I had never been on a cruise. We wound up having a great time. I guess we just got lucky.

Thanks for the replies. This was indeed the 1/28 cruise. I think i read a very similar report from someone back in December of 2012. I have enjoyed our other 3 cruises on Fantasy, Elation, and Conquest. We will probably sail with them again, but never on that ship. I heard it's going in for an overhaul in 2014. Wonder why? I try not to be critical, but this one was over the top. Our friends were in a balcony room and had 'yellow water' coming out of the sink faucet. When they reported this to proper authorities, someone came up there and let the water out then left. Just be careful if you book on this one.

The 2014 overhaul is probably the 2.0 upgrade. Carnival is upgrading all of the ships and some have already been completed and with great reviews. Here's a link to a Cruise Critic article with details about the upgrades: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4617

I was also on this cruise and it was my first cruise. I guess I was just lucky, no smells, good water, great service, vacation, awesome staff, great food and lots of fun. Was I disappointed that we missed Cozumel? Absolutely. Did Carnival inform me before I cruised that we would be overnighting in one port or the other? Yes. Did Carnival offer me a full refund if I chose not to cruise or an OBC of $50 per person if I chose to go ahead and cruise (and a $15 per person credit for lunch because of the late boarding)? Yes they did. I felt the staff did what they could to make the best out of a bad situation. I was on vacation and DW and I had never been on a cruise. We wound up having a great time. I guess we just got lucky.

Glad to hear you had a great time. So many times a cruise is what you make of it. If you have a smile on your face it is amazing how many other people have smiles on their faces.

Was on the 1/14 sailing to Progreso & Cozumel. Pam & I experienced none of the issues the OP rants about. It's amazing to me how a mechanical issue can cause such a difference in opinion between passengers regarding non-mechanical issues. Our cruise was much much better than we expected.

Please don't be bummed. If the problem is not already repaired it will be by the time you get on the ship. I have been on the Triumph several times and have had a great cruise each time. I am looking to book her again for May myself.

Well then come May 20th with us!!! Lol

Archived