no receipts is new policy?

AZJerry

Just off a Ruby cruise where we noticed something new. Several times when we ordered drinks we did not have to sign for the drinks at all. I did sign for a bottle of wine in the dining room but was not given a receipt copy. In another thread about the Ruby someone else posted that they had the same problem on the Ruby and was told it was a new policy.

Is this happening on other ships as well?

I have several problems with this.

• It wasn't universal across the ship.
  • We've had several billing problems in the past. Not having receipts can make a resolution quite a bit harder.

Thoughts?

We found the same problem on Caribbean princess in July. We found that you had to ask for a receipt as you ordered. The waiters said it was a new policy they had just implemented .but had found that a lot of passengers did not like it as it made it difficult to query any disputed entries on their account. We always like to keep our recept and check them off against our account on a regular basis. We always were given a receipt if requested. However the receipt given does not have your signature on it but does have your name and stateroom number.

Edited by crows nest club

Yes, on our Regal cruise in April. We caught two unauthorized charges on the cruise. They go through all the receipts, and they have to take your word for it because there are no signatures. There was no debate, we just told them we didn't have those drinks. No receipts is another reason to check your account everyday. It makes it easier to remember!

Safe Journeys. Paul

Have to save all those $0.0001. I guess raising fares $0.25 is out of the question.

American Airlines saved $40,000 by omitting one olive from every first class salad.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-American-Airlines-saved-40-000-in-1987-by-eliminating-one-olive-from-each-salad-served-in-first-class

Did they bother to measure how much they lost in ticket sales to those who felt the food quality in first class was deteriorating? Or how much it cost to actually implement the change? :)

$40,000 isn't even a rounding error on the AA income statement. If my calculator is correct it is less than 0.000015% of their net income.

Edited by broberts

Did they bother to measure how much they lost in ticket sales to those who felt the food quality in first class was deteriorating? Or how much it cost to actually implement the change? :)

$40,000 isn't even a rounding error on the AA income statement. If my calculator is correct it is less than 0.000015% of their net income.

Nickle and diming is the new structure for the airlines. You want a seat up in the front of the cheap seats? That will be $$. You want to check luggage? That will be $$. I guess we should be lucky they don't charge to use the bathroom! One airline in Europe was charging for that but not sure how well it went over. This is the new paradigm. Hopefully Princess will not pick up on it like NCL has done.

We were on the Emerald in March and receipts for drinks etc were not provided. I check our folio almost every day and found no errors but still I would like the receipt so that I can check it against the folio. Only once have I found an error and that was for about $100 in the hair salon. Being follicle challenged I had to laugh when the pax service rep insisted it was my charge. Luckily they could not produce a signed receipt so they relented.

Yes, on our Regal cruise in April. We caught two unauthorized charges on the cruise. They go through all the receipts, and they have to take your word for it because there are no signatures. There was no debate, we just told them we didn't have those drinks. No receipts is another reason to check your account everyday. It makes it easier to remember!

Safe Journeys. Paul

The same thing happen to me :eek: on the Emerald Princess. I check my account all the time.

Tony

Just off a Ruby cruise where we noticed something new. Several times when we ordered drinks we did not have to sign for the drinks at all. I did sign for a bottle of wine in the dining room but was not given a receipt copy. In another thread about the Ruby someone else posted that they had the same problem on the Ruby and was told it was a new policy.

Is this happening on other ships as well?

I have several problems with this.

• It wasn't universal across the ship.
  • We've had several billing problems in the past. Not having receipts can make a resolution quite a bit harder.

Thoughts?

Whether or not the cruise line issues receipts, and whether you keep them (we do), the errors in our shipboard accounts have all been from charges incorrectly posted to our account. Showing the purser a stack of receipts does not prove that the erroneous charge is not yours. For that they have to go search the bundles of charges.

I prefer no receipts for beverage purchases since they started the beverage package there's no point in having all those little bits of paper laying around. But for real purchases like in the gift shops or boutiques I always get a receipt.

I still look at my bill daily because occasionally a drink purchase will show up and I'll have to go to passenger services to have it removed. Anything you dispute passenger services has to provide a signed copy of the bill, if they can't produce it they have to remove it.

Just the opposite. On my last cruise, the IC coffee bar rang up a "bill" for my free iced tea. I had a coffee card that did not require any punches for my drink. I thought that was very strange (only time it has happened to me) until somebody said that maybe it was a "hint" for an additional tip. I had to sign the chit and yes, there was a place for the tip.

Whether or not the cruise line issues receipts, and whether you keep them (we do), the errors in our shipboard accounts have all been from charges incorrectly posted to our account. Showing the purser a stack of receipts does not prove that the erroneous charge is not yours. For that they have to go search the bundles of charges.

I prefer no receipts for beverage purchases since they started the beverage package there's no point in having all those little bits of paper laying around. But for real purchases like in the gift shops or boutiques I always get a receipt.

I still look at my bill daily because occasionally a drink purchase will show up and I'll have to go to passenger services to have it removed. Anything you dispute passenger services has to provide a signed copy of the bill, if they can't produce it they have to remove it.

I agree with these two posts. We have very rarely ever had an issue with errors on our on-board account, but when we did it was always an erroneous charge which cannot be dis-proven just because the passenger does not have the receipt for it. I, frankly, get tired of all the receipts, especially the $0 charges when we have the All-inclusive Beverage Package. Personally, I'm glad to hear they're doing away with all these silly little pieces of paper (store and shop purchases aside).

We cruise on many different lines, and quite a few are paperless and never give receipts. But here is a question for those that like those receipts. Billing issues are usually when you are billed for something you did not purchase. How does having receipts prove that you did not buy something? It only proves what you did purchase.

Hank

We cruise on many different lines, and quite a few are paperless and never give receipts. But here is a question for those that like those receipts. Billing issues are usually when you are billed for something you did not purchase. How does having receipts prove that you did not buy something? It only proves what you did purchase.

Hank

If you think you didn't purchase that drink but someone on your charge card did you wouldn't dispute the charge. As an example DH sees a Pina Colada on his daily bill and thinks I didn't have that but sees the receipt on the desk he knows I did. It's just a secondary check and balance.

Edited by cruzsnooze

The DW is OCD and an accountant. It's automatic for her to check receipts to statements. If a charge is on the statement for which you have no receipt then you would check for the problem. Having no receipt puts you at a disadvantage checking your statement. You would then need to keep a log of charges on your own to check your statement with.

Very bad policy IMHO and lazy on their part.

framer

If you think you didn't purchase that drink but someone on your charge card did you wouldn't dispute the charge. As an example DH sees a Pina Colada on his daily bill and thinks I didn't have that but sees the receipt on the desk he knows I did. It's just a secondary check and balance.

Often what you purchase generates a charge from a location that is different from where you made the purchase and thus you do not recognize the charge on your statement.

A charge at a sale table in the hallway could end up being a charge from a boutique you never went into. Or a drink purchased from someone at a sailaway party could end up being from a bar you never went to.

The obvious saving of paper aside, not having receipts can save a little bit of time on the transaction. My expectation that is in preparation for the next POS upgrade which will allow on screen signing (think UPS devices) for server devices and store POS.

Personally I am really hoping they jump right to RFID and Pin, but that's not likely, Princess is not really tech forward.

I have always bought the soft drink package for fountain drinks and only had to show my sea card to get the drink. The last cruise they started doing a charge slip with $0 balance for every time I asked for soda pop. Carnival does this. I guess they are trying to keep track of how many each pax drink in a cruise. Interesting in that it is a vain attempt to get a further tip as suggested by one poster.

They definitely need to record the transaction for inventory purposes.. Whether they need to generate a receipt is a different matter...

I have always bought the soft drink package for fountain drinks and only had to show my sea card to get the drink. The last cruise they started doing a charge slip with $0 balance for every time I asked for soda pop. Carnival does this. I guess they are trying to keep track of how many each pax drink in a cruise. Interesting in that it is a vain attempt to get a further tip as suggested by one poster.

It makes sense not to get a receipt if you have a drink package. But, we don't get the drink packages so like having the receipts. As others have said, it provides a check between what they claim and what you know to be true.

Note to self: always remember to ask for the receipt.

Back in May on the Golden we had the All Inclusive drink package and had to sign for each drink. Last week on the Crown we had the All Inclusive and only signed once or twice, once in the MDR and I think once at Vines. Never got a receipt. Never wanted one.

It makes sense not to get a receipt if you have a drink package. But, we don't get the drink packages so like having the receipts. As others have said, it provides a check between what they claim and what you know to be true.

Note to self: always remember to ask for the receipt.

All cruise lines are going paperless. Celebrity has been doing this for at least 3 years.

The sooner the better. They just scan your cabin card, no one else has access to your card, so minimal mistakes.

Have a great cruise,:)