Cove Balcony, Good or Bad

readboat

They sound interesting. You'll be a lot lower on the ship, and experience more of the sensation of seeing how fast the ship actually moves, with the benefit of less motion than a higher deck. The balconies, I believe, have the steel hull instead of a glass railing like higher deck balconies, so they will probably feel a little more closed in. I'd take one with the right price.

These are new and not on other ships. they are in the middle of the ship. If you go to carnival Dream on the carnival web site they will show you a close up of the ship and you will see them. The room is 185 sq ft with a 45 sqft balcony.

These are new and not on other ships. they are in the middle of the ship. If you go to carnival Dream on the carnival web site they will show you a close up of the ship and you will see them. The room is 185 sq ft with a 45 sqft balcony.

are they only offered on the Dream? You asked about the Freedom

Would these balconies on the main deck be kinda wet?

I see these are cat 7A- and most are star cabins-

They are not on the Freedom. I saw a video of it being built and it seems that there are enclosures that the crew come and close if the weather is rough and the spray is high. What is the star on the 7A?

There are new pictures on the carnival site but I haven't had a chance to look at them.

Host Mach got a cove balcony, and Carnival gave him a upgrade and he made them take it back. He really wanted his cove balcony with it being so close to the water. From the Dreamers CC cruise.

I think many will love being right over the water, even if the balcony is more enclosed than a regular balcony.

These rooms are big. On the main deck they have deluxe inside and the rooms are 220sqft. They have a second bathroom with a junior tub and sink. Without the extra bath that makes up the balcony space. Since we have never had a balcony before this will seem like heaven.

Another question: Do these rooms jut out the side of the ship? I mean how can the room be 185 sq feet PLUS a balcony.

They are contained within the hull of the ship. The Queen Mary 2 has similar balconies down low. The just get the balcony space by making the inside space smaller. As readboat says, if you take the similar cabin on the Conquest or Destiny classes, they are rather large oceanviews.

Here's a pic from the QM2. The 3 decks below the promenade have the in-hull type balcony that the Carnival Cove balcony will be.

queen_mary2-14.jpg

• 1 year later...

Readboat, thanks for posting this discussion. I have been wondering about the cove balconies and I too am considering going for it for a winter sailing. Could you please let us know how you liked it when you are back from your sailing?

Thanks!

If you are talking about the Dream you are correct they are new but they are not "new" with other ships especially those in the Fantasy class.

On the smaller older ships Carnival converted former oceanview cabins into balconies mid ship and on the lower deck.

They do not extend over the superstructure rather they are sunken into the side. I personally LOVE any balcony over an ocean view less confining but the mid ship add on balconies for Carnival are not going to make you feel the same as a traditional balcony. Well sort of they were added to the superstructure so they overhang a little.

Traditional balconies we have had on Carnival, Costa and Norwegian were much more open and a good deal more glass airy feel.

On the Sensation out of Port Canaveral the balcony felt more like a cubby hole. Still the extra space and the ability to hang out without having to leave your room is a huge plus.

Since this is your first balcony you will definitely feel the upgrade over an oceanview.

P1110850.JPG

It also depends which one of the mid ship rooms you get. We have had both. The ones with the add on section were a mixed bag. Less glass but since the overhung the ship you had more of a view. The few balconies on either side of the add on section were were bigger rooms (I suspect they took three oceanviews and converted them into two balconies but one side of your view was obstructed by the add on and the other side was obstructed because the balcony was sunk into the side. Pricing is good for these balconies but sunsets and sunrise views are not as spectacular as traditional balconies. FYI when went to Alaska full view balcony well worth money because of the scenery. Traditional balcony to Carribean not as much as big deal.

My parents had a cove balcony on Carnival Dream. It was really nice and we were on the main deck. The best part was when we were watching the dolphins, it was a great view. There was plenty of room, and no you didn't get wet. I'm sure if seas are really rough you would not be outside at all. The balcony had 2 chairs and a small table. It was nice.

• 2 weeks later...

If you book normally (i.e. the suites that are not guaranteed i.e. any balcony) you'll start with the cove (7C) as it's the cheapest but they can upgrade you - and seeing how there is a lot of demand for these is it better to ask for the cove in particular (even though it cost more to book a specific unit!)?

• 3 months later...

We booked a cove balcony for September 2011. I love to stand at the rail and see the ship cut through the water and the foam the water makes. The sound is also soothing. Now most ships obstruct the edge of the ship because the balconies are above the lifeboats and the lifeboats stick out. The cove balconies are below the lifeboats, so have a clear view. We were on a similar cabin on the Elation on a Panama Canal cruise. We were right at ground level through the canal locks. Of course, those cabins were suites and the cove balconies will be smaller.

Gordon

Archived