Crown Princess troubles

lovesublime

Bummer on the toilet issue. We seem to always need to get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom... it would be an inconvenience to go elsewhere on the ship. Not to mention if it was backing up on our carpet, we wouldn't be happy. :(

Sorry to hear that so many were affected by toilet problems but based on what I've read the most common cause are passengers who flush prohibited items. The passenger who said they would never cruise Princess again may not want to cruise again on any cruise line because toilet problems can happen on any ship when passengers flush the wrong things down the toilet.

It doesn't state the cause but having been on the December cruise they overstated the norovirus 'problem' which was mostly additional preventative measures which required the crew to work even harder & it was only a minor inconvenience for most passengers.

We just got off the Crown cruise today. Although we did not have toilet issues in our cabin, we heard from other passengers that toilets were not flushing properly. On at least two occasions the ladies restrooms only had one working toilet, but by the next day they were working again. Overall we had a great cruise!

I find it interesting that the website "journalist" (and I use that term veeery loosely) doesn't mention "Princess Cruise Lines" by name... just Carnival..

It must be a slow news day because I just saw the story on NBC4 in LA including interviewing Ms. Flye & the coverage also included the exaggeration about the Crown's issues with noro in December.

It must be a slow news day because I just saw the story on NBC4 in LA including interviewing Ms. Flye & the coverage also included the exaggeration about the Crown's issues with noro in December.

I had just seen that same story, but didn't hear any name of a specific ship (I did have the audio turned down as I was watching the news on my computer, and my daughter's next to me, watching something on Netflix).

I imagine that the news crew scoured the disembarking passengers looking for disgruntled ones.

Years ago, we had a major plumbing problem on an Amtrak train (only one or two working toilets on the whole team, and a really bad smell) on a 40-hour trip so I can imagine the discomfort, but know it can happen anywhere.

Sounds like it was a major problem. However, I didn't see anything in the article about any refund or compensation offered the affected passengers. Chances are good that they were.

As for sailing a ship or line because of toilet problems, at least Princess acknowledged it. On my Celebrity cruise, both my sister and I (in separate cabins) had non-working toilets for three full days of a 7-day cruise. All Celebrity said was, "You, too?" Literally. That was the extent of their concern.

I hope all that cost cutting at Carnival isn't going to destroy Princess also.

First the menu, then raised prices and clearly cutbacks in maintenance.:mad:

Just curious as to how you have arrived at the conclusion that this problem was due to "clearly cutbacks in maintenance." As someone else posted more often than not, toilet issues occur from passengers flushing things they shouldn't into that system. Do you have some insider information?

I hope all that cost cutting at Carnival isn't going to destroy Princess also.

First the menu, then raised prices and clearly cutbacks in maintenance.:mad:

Are you referring to Carnival Cruise Lines or Carnival Corporation & Plc? Otherwise, I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion as there is little relationship between Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess other than they're both owned by the same holding company, Carnival Corporation, that also owns Holland America, Cunard, Seabourne, etc. I haven't seen any evidence of raised prices or maintenance cutbacks on Princess, HAL, Seabourne, etc. Ships are moved from market-to-market, depending on supply and demand. Princess is a "for profit" business. If there are fewer ships, such as will be the case in Europe next year, prices will go up.

Sounds like it was a major problem. However, I didn't see anything in the article about any refund or compensation offered the affected passengers. Chances are good that they were.

As for sailing a ship or line because of toilet problems, at least Princess acknowledged it. On my Celebrity cruise, both my sister and I (in separate cabins) had non-working toilets for three full days of a 7-day cruise. All Celebrity said was, "You, too?" Literally. That was the extent of their concern.

We were on the cruise and it was the cabins in the 500's and 600's that were affected. Those affected got 50.00 per person ship board credit While some were affected for the whole week, many only had problems for a day or two. We were fortunate and had no issues.

We were on the cruise and it was the cabins in the 500's and 600's that were affected. Those affected got 50.00 per person ship board credit While some were affected for the whole week, many only had problems for a day or two. We were fortunate and had no issues.

As Astro says... it was probably someone who flushed something they weren't supposed to... :(

We were in one of the affected cabins. Early on in the cruise we noticed the toilet wasn't flushing properly. But we were only totally without a toilet for about 24 hours. It did overflow one night and we had to call maintenance to come up at 1:00 a.m. I do disagree with the part of the news story where the cruise line states they kept the passengers updated as to the progress. We were never informed as to the status of repairs and in fact on Thursday morning, we called to tell them our toilet still was not working, they were surprised as it was supposedly fixed by then. We heard a rumor that the cause of the problem was some fruit that got flushed. Was it an inconvenience? Yes. Will we stop cruising? No. Stuff happens!

We were also on the cruise. Not one of the cabins with toilet troubles, but they did ask us to not use it between 1am and 3am one night. Two friends took the UST on Friday and specifically asked about the plumbing problems, they were told someone (or two) flushed an orange and a disposable diaper down the system. The plumbing tubes are only 5cm wide, and these objects are the reason for the blockages. Well, perhaps stupid passengers is a better way to put it.

Hi All

Been on a few cruises were we have lost toilet for a day or two at most,

just not nice, even being without a cabin toilet for a few hours is a real pain,

however an over flowing toilet is just nasty, only once and hope its a long

time before it happens again,

been on a number of cruises were Captain has had to broad cast a notice

about the use of the toliet,

once they talked about towels in the system and that the family were

warned that they would be removed from the ship if there was any other issues.

yours Shogun

News reports say the Princess Crown returned to Galveston for repairs. We were scheduled to board the ship on Tuesday April 16th to make the transatlantic crossing. Has anyone on this forum heard whether there will be a delay in this sailing????

We just got off the ship & did not have any toilet problems. We were told by a member of the cruise director staff that they found a lemon, a gardening glove & a beach towel in the vaccum system. You can't blame the cruise line for stupid passengers.

If someone damages a hotel room, they will be charged for the repairs. Perhaps Princess should also charge a guest if they can prove that the blockage came from their cabin. Are these passengers that stupid to think that flushing large items will not block the toilet system or are they doing it on purpose to get compensation from Princess?

Archived