What is considered a carry on?

DBNOLEN

Hello,

Have been reading lots of posts on cruisers packing only a carry on. What exactly is considered a carry on - as far as a ship? We are going on a 4 night and like the idea of minimal luggage, but don't want to lug it around until our room is ready.

Thanks!

The current airline standard for carry on luggage is 45 linear inches (approx. 22 X 14 X 9) for airlines, but check with your particular airline for their maximum. Both domestic and international (international may change if you are flying regional airlines).

As far as ships go, luggage can be larger,but must fit through the security device, which is typically the same size as airline security scanners. The length doesn't matter quite as much as the width, but it's rare you will find luggage out of the typical measurements.

I have read here on CC that people have attempted to roll on their larger sized luggage and were directed back to the luggage drop-off area.

When I talk about only bringing a carry-on, I talk about coming in on an airplane. If I was driving to the port, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Once you get to the port, you can give your bags to the porters if you don't want to carry them around with you. Of course, you should have anything valuable on you and not in the bag(s) you leave with the porter, but I don't think RCCI is concerned about the size of carryons.

I would prefer to take my suitcase on & off myself next cruise. The exit strategy is more important. Waiting for a suitcase on the pier carousel in Miami was nerve wrecking and took 15 -20 minutes and made the line longer for customs. I pack pretty light and could do a carry on.

One lady I spoke with had her bag go to the airport & back because someone had taken it by mistake.

I saw someone do a carry on for the cruise and wished I had done that also.

I would prefer to take my suitcase on & off myself next cruise. The exit strategy is more important. Waiting for a suitcase on the pier carousel in Miami was nerve wrecking and took 15 -20 minutes and made the line longer for customs. I pack pretty light and could do a carry on.

One lady I spoke with had her bag go to the airport & back because someone had taken it by mistake.

You can carry OFF all your luggage (provided you can handle it unassisted) even if it is larger and even if you gave it to the porters when you boarded . Any luggage you carry ON you will have to keep with you til rooms are ready.

That is no problem. We carried off our large suitcases ourselves.

Archived