No Watch Battery in Onboard Shops

- why do folks buy expensive watches on a ship? I'm kind of a watch geek and I didn't see any prices better then I could do on land in the US.

- replacing batteries is a no win for most shops.. once they replace it and it still doesn't work somehow if has now become their problem.

As a "watch geek" myself the only way I buy a watch on a cruise is if the price is basically the same as I could get back home. Its a memory of the vacation for me. If I'm going to buy one anyway it may as well have some meaning behind it. For me it isn't because I'm saving a bunch of money as I have never bought one I down South I couldn't find on the internet for the same price.

Hmmm, if I have to send my watch to a certified dealer, I'll stick to Seiko's from now on.

Our local jeweler also fixes watches.

All figured out.....

Or she could switch to Citizen eco-drives and ditch the battery routine altogether.

My Citizen eco-drive pretty much solves the battery problem. But it is a pain to set.

I second the comments about not buying high-end stuff on board. On items I have compared where I had fairly current and thorough knowledge of prices, the ship was typically higher. Especially for stuff like cameras where prices tend to decline on products that have been out for a while. The ship is typically a few months behind the price curve. Know the product and the price before you buy. Or at least invest in a few internet minutes and look it up while on board.

I'm actually surprised it has a battery. Most of the high end watches are mechanical. . . .

Huh -- maybe that is why the jeweler laughed at me when I said my Rolex [that I bought in Time Square for $25] stopped working and I thought it might need a new battery.

If this trivial thing is what stops people from taking a particular cruise line, so be it. (I suspect that this post is in jest of the OP).

We had a similar instance, but then recalled that many of the mass market jewelry stores won't do anything either. I had a Seiko that I took to all the jewlers in a mall, none would even open it up. Then again, I twice had it serviced at the mail in place, and both times if failed, again. No more Seiko for me.

There are retail stores, repair stores, and some that have both.

As for leaving a watch at home- since you know the battery last a long time (more than a week), you can always have the battery changed before you leave..... Unless the watch is broken, it's likely to last a whole cruise- even if that's a B2B2B with a trans Atlantic in the middle.

Of course its in jest. A cruise line can only do so much to please its clientelle.

The only thing I know about Philip Stein watches is what the shopping advisor talked about on the Enchantment. But, a simple perusal of the FAQ section of their website revealed this.

Q. How long should the battery last?

The battery does not need to be replaced for the technology to function, however old batteries should be removed and replaced in order to avoid damaging other components. Battery life depends on the model, but is estimated to be around 18–24 months. Batteries are not covered under the warranty, however, if the timepiece is still within its two-year warranty period, replacement of batteries is required to be carried out by a Philip Stein Authorized Repair Center.

Clearly, a cruise ship is not a PS Authorized Repair Center.

I own a Philip Stein watch. You cannot replace the batteries with any old battery. The have to be done by an authorized Philip Stein dealer. I live in Metro Detroit and we only have a handful of jewelers that will replace batteries and most send them out to be done. Batteries cost about $50 each. They have to do all the waterproof-sealed testing on them as well.

#1. Don't take a watch that's not working.

#2. If you do, take a second one just in case.

#3. Take an automatic watch as your backup or a solar powered one.

I always travel with multiple watches and one is always an automatic.

So then you don't wear earrings, bracelets, neaklaces, or any other jewlery?

;)

Oh no Dahling.

I wear gold, diamonds, and all kinds of jewelry.

However, none of which have moving parts or motors that need servicing.

Just a simple gal that has not worn a watch for quite some time and have never missed it. Matter of fact, I just love looking at my wrist and seeing the glitter of a gaudy tennis bracelet, moreso than that of a clock face.;)

Upon getting my second cell phone, I thought it to be ridiculous to even own a watch.

To me, it serves no purpose.

Well except for those that like to flash their $10,000 "chronometers" to make a "point".

Oh no Dahling.

I wear gold, diamonds, and all kinds of jewelry.

However, none of which have moving parts or motors that need servicing.

Just a simple gal that has not worn a watch for quite some time and have never missed it. Matter of fact, I just love looking at my wrist and seeing the glitter of a gaudy tennis bracelet, moreso than that of a clock face.;)

So you flash diamonds to make a point? Or is it a different point because they don't have moving parts?:rolleyes:

cat fight!!!!!!

What on earth is that supposed to mean? I have had my watch probably 7 years and have had the batteries changed 3 times at authorized Philip Stein dealers. I don't notice and difference when I put my watch on for the day when I wear it. Maybe if I wore it 24/7 other than to shower I may notice but I tend to have it off more than I have it on.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? I have had my watch probably 7 years and have had the batteries changed 3 times at authorized Philip Stein dealers. I don't notice and difference when I put my watch on for the day when I wear it. Maybe if I wore it 24/7 other than to shower I may notice but I tend to have it off more than I have it on.

WOW!!!! Cat fight ! Yeah!!!!!

Upon getting my second cell phone, I thought it to be ridiculous to even own a watch.

To me, it serves no purpose.

Well except for those that like to flash their $10,000 "chronometers" to make a "point".

To me, a cell phone serves almost no purpose. My watch, on the other hand, is quite valuable. To each his own ...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app