How do I get from Catania (port) to Taormina?

rgreenba

Would someone kindly provide detailed instructions on how to get from the port to the bus station in Catania? Can you walk? How far is it? Where do I buy a ticket? What bus number is it? Is the bus station close to the train station? Any information appreciated.

The "bus station" is approximately 700m from the port in a parking lot where Via D'Amico and Archimede converge. It is about three blocks from the train station. It is walkable but most of the walk is through the port and along Via VI Aprile. If you use Trip Advisor and search "bus from Catania to Taormina" you will find good, detailed info on how to do this.

You have not said how much time you have in port and should take at look at the bus timetables www.interbus.it to determine if they fit your time in port.

I was able to pull up the bus schedule and it does not show any buses that run from Catania to Taormina. The only destination seems to be Siracusa. This does not make a lot of sense to me...but that is what it shows.

We will be in Catania in the fall and decided to simply rent a car from Avis (close to the port) for $73. Not sure we will drive to Taormina since we were just there in April....but it would be pretty easy. A nice thing about driving to Taormina is that there is a large parking garage near one of the entrances (this is the same area where the shuttle buses drop their charges).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We will be in Catania in the fall and decided to simply rent a car from Avis (close to the port) for $73. Not sure we will drive to Taormina since we were just there in April....but it would be pretty easy. A nice thing about driving to Taormina is that there is a large parking garage near one of the entrances (this is the same area where the shuttle buses drop their charges).

Hank

For our last time in Catania, I'd researched rental cars, but only found agencies at the airport. I'd even reserved thru Avis, but cancelled due to the logistics and expense of getting to/from the airport from port to pick up the car.

We'll be back on the Silhouette in November 2013 and to Catania again. I would very much appreciate details of your upcoming rental. Thanks, Hank!!

For our last time in Catania, I'd researched rental cars, but only found agencies at the airport. I'd even reserved thru Avis, but cancelled due to the logistics and expense of getting to/from the airport from port to pick up the car.

We'll be back on the Silhouette in November 2013 and to Catania again. I would very much appreciate details of your upcoming rental. Thanks, Hank!!

We had the same problem and searched all over the place for a convenient rental car location. Finally discovered that Avis has a location at

Catania Porto, Catania, R5N

Via Cardinale Dusmet Snc, Catania, R5N XX IT

(95121 ) (39) 095 537871

Looking up the location of this office..it does appear to be very close to port.

Hank

P.S. We would love to see a post from anyone who has rented from this location.

Edited by Hlitner

We had the same problem and searched all over the place for a convenient rental car location. Finally discovered that Avis has a location at

Catania Porto, Catania, R5N

Via Cardinale Dusmet Snc, Catania, R5N XX IT

(95121 ) (39) 095 537871

Looking up the location of this office..it does appear to be very close to port.

Hank

P.S. We would love to see a post from anyone who has rented from this location.

Googled it, found it, saved it!! The map on the site page shows the Avis rental office to be very convenient to the pier. Thinking about visiting Piazza Armerina, Enna or maybe Pantalica which all seem to be under 50 miles from Catania.

how easy is to drive frm catania to taormina? can you also go to siracusa in the same day?

thanks

This is a problem. Taormina is located about 50 min north of Catania (much of it on an excellent fast autostrade) and Siracusa is located about the same distance and time south of Catania. Or to put it another way, Catania lies nearly in the center of the route between Siracusa and Taormina. Driving to either city would be relatively easy but doing both on the same day would involve lots of backtracking and time.

Hank

• 1 month later...

I would take one of those cabs. We hired a car at Catania airport in September and it took a full hour to get it. That was after we waited for one hour and ten minutes for the luggage to appear in the airport, at which time everyone applauded. Life is lived at a much slower pace in Sicily than in the Anglosphere.

• 3 years later...
Would someone kindly provide detailed instructions on how to get from the port to the bus station in Catania? Can you walk? How far is it? Where do I buy a ticket? What bus number is it? Is the bus station close to the train station? Any information appreciated.

Hi,

We just rented a car from AVIS in the port of call Catania.

it was only $60 :)

I read on roll of call from other groups that it is easy to drive there.

On our recent stop in Catania there were lots of cabs at the port that offered Taormina for 25 EUR per person RT. We decided to stay in Catania and are regretting it a bit.

Anyone had any recent experience just walking up and booking R/T a taxi from Catania port to Taormina? Current rate? Was it negotiable as to how long your stay in Taormina would last?

Anyone had any recent experience just walking up and booking R/T a taxi from Catania port to Taormina? Current rate? Was it negotiable as to how long your stay in Taormina would last?

So lets talk about geography. It is about 35 miles between Catonia and Taormina. So imagine taking a taxi for 35 miles (at your home), asking the driver to wait a few hours, and then driving you back 35 miles! Taxis in Italy are somewhat less expensive, but you are still talking about a few hundred Euros. A rental car (which you can get at the port might cost you about 100 Euros (less if you can drive a stick).

As to negotiable, everything is negotiable and you can stay as long as you please...assuming you are willing to pay the cost. Most folks want a few hours in Taormina to have time to browse the shops, eat lunch and go to the Greco/Roman Amphitheater. And then there is the nearby town of Castlemola.....but that is another story....not to forget Mt Etna.

Hank

So lets talk about geography. It is about 35 miles between Catonia and Taormina. So imagine taking a taxi for 35 miles (at your home), asking the driver to wait a few hours, and then driving you back 35 miles! Taxis in Italy are somewhat less expensive, but you are still talking about a few hundred Euros. A rental car (which you can get at the port might cost you about 100 Euros (less if you can drive a stick).

As to negotiable, everything is negotiable and you can stay as long as you please...assuming you are willing to pay the cost. Most folks want a few hours in Taormina to have time to browse the shops, eat lunch and go to the Greco/Roman Amphitheater. And then there is the nearby town of Castlemola.....but that is another story....not to forget Mt Etna.

Hank

I am quite familiar with the geography and the fact that everything is negotiable, thank you.

If Alex71's post from 2012 (quoted in my post) was accurate and a R/T trip was offered at $25 EUR PP by "lots of cabs", I thought perhaps someone with a more recent experience might have an update on costs, etc.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Maggie I see you are interested in a cab from Catania to Taormina. We are also but we do not want to go to a winery. So if you are just interested in sharing a cab from Catania to Taormina or getting a tour and spending some time in Taormina, we would be interested in sharing with you. ddsldy @ aol dot com. Hilary & Ed