Cinque terre

Trixie21

This is a possibility on our upcoming harmony cruise this summer. Can anyone tell me their experience of it - any private tour operators you would recommend and would any version of it be suitable for someone who has moderate mobility issues?

This is a possibility on our upcoming harmony cruise this summer. Can anyone tell me their experience of it - any private tour operators you would recommend and would any version of it be suitable for someone who has moderate mobility issues?

There is no need for a private tour operator to CT as there is nothing there that would require a guide to tell you what you are seeing. Now, a driver-only service would be OK and more economical than a tour.

That said, the whole reason for visiting CT is to wander the walkways of the villages. They are NOT flat and not smooth walkways. Lots of walking up and down to get to the various sections of the villages. The cars cannot get down into the villages - there are parking areas at the top of the villages. I honestly would not recommend CT for anyone with mobility issues. Sorry, but MHO.

Agree with slidergirl. No need for a private tour- they certainly won't get you anywhere you can't get on your own, and the key to the CT is beauty, not really history...although there some history.

Also agree the CT is not good for people with mobility issues. Don't know what issue you have, but it is a fair amount of uneven area in most of the little towns and can be lots of up and down.

Where are you docking? I think I would take the train to the northern most town (Monterosso), which has the most flat area, then ferry back to La Spezia. Or vice versa.

I just did cinque terre from Livorno port in July by italytoursharing.com. It wasn't really a private guide, more so transportation so I didn't have to 'think' lol... They told us where to go, got our tickets for us for transport between towns ( either train or boats) I enjoyed it. Cinque terre is a great place to see and I highly recommend seeing it. I think some of my best pictures are from there for sure😄

CT is not for those with mobility issues. No need for a tour . Do it yourselves by ferry or train heres how :

THE CINQUE TERRE (Five Lands) Italia

Five villages nested on the rocky Mediteranean Coast between La Spezia and Genova.

These villages are only accessed by sea, train or on foot .

From La Spezia in order the villages are Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso . From La Spezia by train to Riomaggiore 10 minutes and the furthest Monterosso is 25 minutes.

The most convenient day trains from La Spezia depart at 0755, 1007 and 1110 stopping all stations.

A ferry service operates from PORTOVENERE along the coast of the CT calling at Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza and Monterosso . In season the most suitable ferries from the waterfront at Portovenere depart at 1000am and 1100am . The trip takes 1 hour by sea to Monterosso. In Monterosso ferries arrive in OLD Monterosso .

To get to Portovenere from La Spezia take Bus P from Bus stop P in Via Garabaldi near Corso Cavour . Buses depart at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour and take 30 minutes to reach Portovenere. Bus tickets from Tobacco Kiosk in La Spezia railway station . (refer to La Spezia map attached PDF).

Portovenere is the seaside town serving the Gulf of Poets. Take the 0825 bus to Portovenere. Walk down along the quayside to the castle out on the point . Approaching the castle take the stairs up to the upper level roadway . Explore the castle then walk back on the same level past Lord Byrons Grotto and continue into the upper level street of Portovenere . You will come out where you started on the waterfront . Take in carfee and enjoy the view . Take the 1100am ferry to Monterosso el Mare . Ferry tickets at a blue and white pill box on the quayside .

The Cinque Terre National Park has Tourist Offices in all five village Railway stations , plus at platform 1 at La Spezia station . Here you can get Park info, train timetables, and CT Day Passes for 1 or 2 days . These CT Day Passes allow unlimited rail travel between La Spezia and the five villages of the CT for the one or two day validity of the Pass. The Pass is also required to use the shuttle bus between Corniglia station and the village of Corniglia above, and also to access the walking paths/trails of the CT . Validate Pass in validation machine on platform before travelling.

Riomaggiore . Has two halves separated by the railway line. Arriving by train cross to the inland side of the railway and walk back towards La Spezia in a pedestrian tunnel that runs parallel to the train line. At the end of this pedestrian tunnel turn right and downstairs to access the waterfront and cafes . Turn left and up the hill for inland Riomaggiore .

On the inland side at Riomaggiore station at Manarola end is a set of steps leading up over the railway along an open passage to the seaside and the start of the Villa de More (Lovers Walk) 20 minutes along the Coastline to Manarola .

Manarola . Again two halves divided by the railway . Alighting from the train walk towards Corniglia through a pedestrian tunnel parallel to the railway . At the end of that tunnel left and down hill to the waterfront and eateries, or right and uphill into the village . The Lovers Walk (Villa de More) to Riomaggiore starts at the Riomaggiore end of Manarola station .

Corniglia. This village is only accessed on foot or by train and is purched high up on a hill overlooking the Mediteranean . Shuttle bus meets trains and takes passengers up the hill to the village . Great eateries, coffee and sensational views . Exiting the village turn right on the roadway and after a short distance on the right is the entry to the zig zag stairway taking you back down to the train station .

Vernazza . The village is divided cleanly at the station into the seaside and uphill portions . Climb up to the castle and the tower for great views . Restaurant Belaforte high up on the cliff has food as spectacular as the views .

Monterosso

Monterosso has two halves, old and new divided by a shared use pedestrian/road tunnel . Ferries arrive on the waterfront in OLD Monterosso, and the train station is on the waterfront in NEW Monterosso . New Monterosso has a great beach for swimming .

- 02 -

La Spezia is an Italian Navy Town and quite attractive in itself . Good restaurants in the heart of town.

Hotel Firenze and Continental opposite the railway station in La Spezia is a great base to stay whilst exploring the Cinque Terre and Portovenere . Also easily reached by train are Pisa and magical Lucca (Puccini s birthplace) .

Book Hotel in La Spezia direct on line and request room in older front portion. Excellent included rooftop breakfast .

For Lucca a change of trains is required at Viareggio .

AT nights good restaurants in La Spezia and other nights it is quite easy to dine in a Waterfront restaurant at Riomaggiore, Manarola or Vernazza . Just take the 1806 or 1910 trains from La Spezia which both stop at all five villages.

The one return train is 2227 from Vernazza, 2238 from Manarola, and 2254 from Riomaggiore .

Also from Riomaggiore ONLY at 2055 and 2158.

Be sure to get latest CT Rail Timetable from CT Tourist Office on main platform at La Spezia station .

From the Hotel Firenze and Continental walk into the main part of La Spezia and find fabulous Coffee old Italian Coffee Houses and Gelaterias

I have limited mobility and visited Cinque Terre a few years ago whilst on a land holiday. Like many places in Italy it is quite disabled friendly.

We parked our hire car in Monterosso and had a wander around there and a nice lunch on the seafront.

Monterosso al Mare is the most accessible. It has the nice flat section along the seafront. Other villages are not as hospitable; hills, stairs, cobbles. I would not recommend Vernazza, Corniglia or Manarolo to someone mobility impaired.

I took my mother who was probably 75 at the time. We took the ferry from Monterosso to Rio then walked a few villages until she had enough then we took the train. The ferry was our favorite part ... viewing the villages from the sea was spectacular. My recommendation would be to ferry from Monterosso to Rio, hop off, wander around the village a bit, then take the ferry back to Monterrosso. If you have time, stop off at another village.

The train station is at the opposite end of town from the ferry ... we walked it but you could take a cab.

If you have mobility issues don't use the trains, we used http://www.tuscanytastetours.com they gave us a good deal and were excellent.

Why not? In Monterosso, other than a flight of stairs, the train station is on the flats.

When you say that, it is obvious that either you have never been or it is a long time ago. These days the trains operate with only 3-4 carriages, totally insufficient to cater for the numbers waiting on the stations. Hence the carriages are packed so full that people are crushed together, no fun for anyone least of all those with mobility issues. Be up to date with your comments, please.

When you say that, it is obvious that either you have never been or it is a long time ago. These days the trains operate with only 3-4 carriages, totally insufficient to cater for the numbers waiting on the stations. Hence the carriages are packed so full that people are crushed together, no fun for anyone least of all those with mobility issues. Be up to date with your comments, please.

We were at there June 2014. Recent enough? We were there for 3 nights, and traveled exclusively by train in Cinque Terre and Italy for 16 days. We have been to Italy a total of 5 times, for a total of 45+ days. We are not amateurs.

The point is mobility, and that the Monterosso station is probably the best for accessibility issues.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Sorry didn't get back earlier to say thanks for all the helpful info. My mother and father in law are traveling with us and I feel based on the info here that a full blown tour might not be suitable. I think I might look at a boat ride along the coast - sounds like the most suitable option for us.

I just did cinque terre from Livorno port in July by italytoursharing.com. It wasn't really a private guide, more so transportation so I didn't have to 'think' lol... They told us where to go, got our tickets for us for transport between towns ( either train or boats) I enjoyed it. Cinque terre is a great place to see and I highly recommend seeing it. I think some of my best pictures are from there for sure

So funny, we did a tour for the same reason...we did no want to think. just tell me where to get off and where we are picked up. It came in handy for lunch as the restaurants were packed and had an hour long wait. Our driver took us to a restaurant he knew the owner and we were seated in approx. 15...the group of 8 cc'ers....so using a tour guide has other benefits. worth the money to us.

we used http://www.papillonservice.com/.

Sharon was kind, patient and responsive to my questions.

Amy

I am also scheduled to go on the Harmony of the Seas. We are going the week of July 7th. My mother has mobility issues and we are visiting Cinque Terre which can be difficult to visit as there is a lot of walking and travelling by train or ferry. However, I was lucky enough to come across Papillion Tours and I spoke with Sharon who was wonderful in tailoring our tour to my mother's needs. You should give them a try.

Hi. we are arriving to Livorno by ship next month on the Epic and we want to visit Cinque Terre on our own by train. Any good itinerary that anyone can recommend for us. We are 5 in our group. We are arriving at 7:00 am and depart 7:00 pm. I also have tenatively book a car rental for pick up at 9 am.

Thank you

• 3 months later...

One of my ports is Genoa and I would like to Cinque de Terre on my own. Any information would be great. From what I can understand so far is the train Station in Genoa is Piazza Principle (sp?) and from there go to Levanato? I've had a hard time looking at the train station timetable as it is in Italian. I'm most worried about getting back in time to the ship. For the return where do you catch the train returning to Genoa. I'm assuming it's Leavanto or do you go to La Spezia? If any one has done this please give me some advice. I just want to make sure it is doable.

Kuldalai: can you tell me if it is possible to board the ferry in La Spezia to visit the towns? Or must we go to other town to board? Our ship will be stopping in La Spezia & I would like the ferry experience better than the train, I think..just wondering as most of the information I have seen has referred to boarding trains in La Spezia but no mention of how to find the ferry there. Advice much appreciated.

Beware that the ferry may not run. When we were there a couple of weeks ago, the weather was nice, sunny and warm. The ferry discontinued service that day because the sea was a bit "rough". So, we took the train. This happened to our friends who were visiting CT last summer too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Kuldalai: can you tell me if it is possible to board the ferry in La Spezia to visit the towns? Or must we go to other town to board? Our ship will be stopping in La Spezia & I would like the ferry experience better than the train, I think..just wondering as most of the information I have seen has referred to boarding trains in La Spezia but no mention of how to find the ferry there. Advice much appreciated.

Ferry schedule:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwrO8cDtfrshVW0tZGZOSUNiV00/view?pref=2&pli=1

Edited by buggins0402

I'm planning a combination ferry/ train, but leaving things open for flexibility.

To get an early start, planning a train to Riomaggiore. Then the ferry straight up to Monterosso and trains back to each town, taking the train back to La Spezia from Vernazza.