Celebrity reflection transatlantic cruise

Boltonboys

Well this is our 35 cruise and so far the worst ever .

Boarding yesterday was a total disaster , 90 min wait just to get to the checkin desk!!! Not an officer to be see working the queues or apologising for the wait. The only thing they were interested in was selling the speciality resturants while we waited .

Then we get a letter to say the ship had engine problems and will not be calling at Tenerife as the ship will have to sail much slower than planned. The letter advised there will be a letter offering some compensation . This morning we finally got the letter offering us 150 dollars per stateroom. Wow I don't think so.

The ship was unprepared for guests all day the pools and hot tubs were closed and all you could do was spend the day walking around the ship being sold too.

Celebrity you need to do better than this you have 12 days left to impress

There is no report of noro on Reflection so please let's get new rumors started.

The OP should know that the lines are under no obligation to give ANY compensation for a missed port. They are required to refund your port charge but nothing more. The $150 is quite generous.

There is no report of noro on Reflection so please let's get new rumors started.

The OP should know that the lines are under no obligation to give ANY compensation for a missed port. They are required to refund your port charge but nothing more. The $150 is quite generous.

yeah well when they start missing ports and not offering

compensation is when they start loosing customers. i

normally choose a cruise because of the ports, not just

to sail around in circles !

We too just got off the Reflection yesterday in Barcelona. I agree with Arno. While on the ship we received no updates from the Captain regarding the mechanical problems. Every time the captain came over the speaker we thought we would get an update but all he tacked about was the history of the ports we were visiting. Rumors were all over the ship regarding what was going on with the problem. This included the wait staff and the other staff on the ship. Even the staff was worried about going across the Atlantic on one engine. Some of the passengers that were going on to Miami were very nervous about going across the Atlantic on one engine too.

I can certainly understand being nervous about crossing the atlantic on one engine although with thrusters they could stabilize the ship in position for someone to come help, if necessary. One has to wonder when they will fix the engine problems...what cruise is going to be effected and will it be a day or a week to fix?

Missing a port happens all the time, most often because of wind/weather...it's part of cruising and no compensation is needed. Now one could question if Celebrity took an unnecessary risk by sailing at all without fixing the engine...and it's likely that's why the $150 was offered. I actually think you are picking the wrong issue...but accept the $150 as a plus.

Initial voyages on ships sound romantic but generally there are problems most everywhere...the crew is new, the mechanicals are new and so on. It's hard to complain when you elect to be on the "bleeding edge", so to speak.

BTW...avoid cruises where the ship is going to drydock....they start to get ready for the drydock during the cruise and it throws everything off.

Find a nice deck chair, buy $150 worth of (now free) drinks and enjoy the cruise.

Do you by any chance work for a cruise line? :D

THe ship has 4 diesel powered generators powering the ship. The ship has 2 azipod thrusters that provde the thrust to move the ship.

I believe, for the ship to achieve normal cruising speed, all 4 generators need to be online. The other issue could be the azipods. Since the posts have indicated there have been technicians brought on board to work the issue, I would guess they have an issue within the hull of the ship, like the generators, or some related subsystem.

THe ship has 4 diesel powered generators powering the ship. The ship has 2 azipod thrusters that provde the thrust to move the ship.

I believe, for the ship to achieve normal cruising speed, all 4 generators need to be online. The other issue could be the azipods. Since the posts have indicated there have been technicians brought on board to work the issue, I would guess they have an issue within the hull of the ship, like the generators, or some related subsystem.

I agree it is a generator or power distribution problem...but they can access the azipods from inside the ship, albiet it's a tight fit.

You are indeed correct. Anyone who cruises in the off-season where weather might be unpredicable (or maybe on a new ship that is working out the kinks ;)), should be aware of this. From the X website:

In the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions, berthing conflicts, mechanical difficulties or for any other reason whatsoever, we may, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or port of call, and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, deviation or substitution. We shall not be responsible for any failure to adhere to the arrival and departure times published in this website for any of its ports of call.

Then we get a letter to say the ship had engine problems and will not be calling at Tenerife as the ship will have to sail much slower than planned. The letter advised there will be a letter offering some compensation . This morning we finally got the letter offering us 150 dollars per stateroom. Wow I don't think so.

I think you should count your blessings. We just returned from the cruise before the TA and all we got for the cancellation of the docking at Rhodes was port charges -- $11.

I too feel that the $150.00 compensation is very generous. We have been on quite a few cruises where we had to miss a port. Some reasons were mechanical...some were weather related...but we never felt that it impacted poorly on our cruise experience.

If people want to cruise, then they should be advised and aware that these issues could occur.

We missed a port in South America with Celebrity due to rough seas and they did not want to release the tenders..no compensation was offered - we lost $ on a car rental we had arranged. Perhaps if it is mechanical they feel a bit more obligated vs an issue of safety/weather.

Isn,t this ship new??? So it already has engine problems ??? So how will they cross the atlantic without mishap??.

TSK TSK CELEBRITY

Do you really think that Celebrity would place their passengers and crew in danger if the ship was not able to safely make the crossing? Also, not sure why the "Tsk, Tsk". Celebrity is not the first cruise line that has taken delivery of a ship and then had issues such as this. Ships are mechanical. Things can and do happen.

I'm sure that some of the guests on board who have had their plans changed are disappointed but the amount given by Celebrity for one missed port is more than generous.

I agree it is a generator or power distribution problem...but they can access the azipods from inside the ship, albiet it's a tight fit.

Did they not have trouble with Azipods on Millenium class ships due to bad seals leaking......

To op Bolton Boys, look at wake at back of ship is there two or one, like back of Jet aircraft in sky........:confused:

I agree that $ 150 is ok, fair. I've cruised nine times. One cruise had a complete generator/ electrical fail in the middle of the Mediterranean ..another time we had to cruise with one engine and like this cruise, and missed a port.

My first cruise out of Tahiti had such bad weather that we couldn't dock or tender at half the ports!

At least you aren't on that Azamara ship Journey....their engine died and they were adrift with no power for days. Mechanical and weather issues are part of the cruise experience.

I guess the reason they are offering the compensation is because it's a ship issue, not a weather or act of God? It makes sense that people are more understanding of rough seas or a hurricane causing a missed port than mechanical issues.

I don't remember the pools and hot tubs normally being closed on the first day. Is that normal?

I agree that $ 150 is ok, fair. I've cruised nine times. One cruise had a complete generator/ electrical fail in the middle of the Mediterranean ..another time we had to cruise with one engine and like this cruise, and missed a port.

My first cruise out of Tahiti had such bad weather that we couldn't dock or tender at half the ports!

At least you aren't on that Azamara ship Journey....their engine died and they were adrift with no power for days. Mechanical and weather issues are part of the cruise experience.

I thought it was Azamara Quest.

Archived