Off shore beaches

kaykels

The nicest one I know of "off shore" of Key West proper is at Sunset Key. This is a lovely beach but it is private. If you are not a guest at Sunset Key you will have to make reservations to use this beach and you will have to pay a fairly stiff price. As I recall it is $45.00 a person which includes the beach and the boat ride to and from the beach. To make reservations, call the concierge at the Hilton Hotel in Key West. Reservations are very limited because the Sunset Key management wants to keep the beach tranquil and spacious for their own guests.

Locals go to off shore sandbars in the summer. It is not practical for a day visitor to get to one of these unless you pay for a private charter or book an excursion that includes a stop at one.

You really should save your beach time for another port. Key West has many attractions, but nice beaches are not one of them. Even the beach mentioned above on Sunset Key is well groomed, but very rocky in the near shore water and not very good for swimming. It is certainly not worth the money even on the off chance that a pass was available when you're here. Most passes are used by people staying at The Westin, which is the hotel the manages Sunset Key (not the Hilton mentioned above) and very few are offered to the general public.

Edited by keywester33

Locals go to off shore sandbars in the summer. It is not practical for a day visitor to get to one of these unless you pay for a private charter or book an excursion that includes a stop at one.

You really should save your beach time for another port. Key West has many attractions, but nice beaches are not one of them. Even the beach mentioned above on Sunset Key is well groomed, but very rocky in the near shore water and not very good for swimming. It is certainly not worth the money even on the off chance that a pass was available when you're here. Most passes are used by people staying at The Westin, which is the hotel the manages Sunset Key (not the Hilton mentioned above) and very few are offered to the general public.

I agree with the above with one exception. The aforementioned hotel has changed brands once again and is now the Margaritaville Resort and Marina. Same owner they just abandoned the Westin name.

https://www.margaritavillekeywestresort.com

Mike:)

I agree with the above with one exception. The aforementioned hotel has changed brands once again and is now the Margaritaville Resort and Marina. Same owner they just abandoned the Westin name.

https://www.margaritavillekeywestresort.com

Mike:)

My goodness, they actually changed their name already! I had heard they were going to, but figured, erroneously, that they would do some renovations and redesign to be like a smaller version of their hotel in Hollywood Beach. Have they changed their signage already too?

What are the best places to find a nice beach ? I know KW is not known for the beach but in curious where the locals go ? Off shore by ferry? Any suggestions?

Despite what CB just said, the Keys have some really nice offshore beaches, such as Boca Grande, Woman Key, Snipe Point, Marvin Key, Content Keys and few other hidden beaches in the back country. These places have pristine white sand and crystal clear turquoise water. However, you not only need a boat to get to them...you also need VERY good knowledge of the local waters and know how to run the tidal channels.