Alamo Car Rental on Maui - No Ship Pickup/Dropoff

Firstin87

We were on the POA from April 29-May 6 and rented a car on Maui from Alamo. When we made the reservation, Alamo did pick ups and drop offs at the ship, but when we got off the POA, Alamo did not have a shuttle. We took another company's shuttle to the Lihue Airport and walked to Alamo. We were told that the previous week Alamo lost their permit to send a shuttle to the port, so no longer offer that service. This left us with no free transportation back to the ship. We took a taxi for $15.

The customer service at Alamo was very poor. When we rented the car, the clerk did not offer to reduce our rate or have any concept that the lack of shuttle service was a problem. She just talked to a co-worker about whether or not they had emailed customers about the change. There was another group from the ship with the same problem, so Alamo either did not notify customers or they missed both of us. Either way, the clerk should have been more understanding of the problem.

When we dropped the car off, we told that clerk about the problem and she reduced the car rate by $15, thereby comping us for the taxi ride.

Don't rent from Alamo on Maui! It's not worth the hassle, especially when there are so many other options - Dollar, Hertz, Thrifty, etc.

We were on the POA from April 29-May 6 and rented a car on Maui from Alamo. When we made the reservation, Alamo did pick ups and drop offs at the ship, but when we got off the POA, Alamo did not have a shuttle. We took another company's shuttle to the Lihue Airport and walked to Alamo. We were told that the previous week Alamo lost their permit to send a shuttle to the port, so no longer offer that service. This left us with no free transportation back to the ship. We took a taxi for $15.

Don't rent from Alamo on Maui! It's not worth the hassle, especially when there are so many other options - Dollar, Hertz, Thrifty, etc.

Lihue Airport is on the island of Kauai.

Captain Canuck,

Sorry you had the same problem. Alamo's customer service is very poor. They've got the contact information for customers, so sending a mass email is quick and easy. Pity they don't bother. Hope you had a wonderful time on Maui.

I'm curious how a company loses their permit to send a shuttle to the port. I would guess if the loss was because Alamo did not pay a fee in time, that would be straightened out quickly, so I'm thinking Alamo must have broken some rules.

I have always used Thrifty when doing the Hawaii cruise. I also was on the April 29th sailing. Did not have to wait long for shuttles at any port.

In Kona be sure to book at the Courtyard KingKamehameha Hotel.

Captain Canuck,

Sorry you had the same problem. Alamo's customer service is very poor. They've got the contact information for customers, so sending a mass email is quick and easy. Pity they don't bother. Hope you had a wonderful time on Maui.

I'm curious how a company loses their permit to send a shuttle to the port. I would guess if the loss was because Alamo did not pay a fee in time, that would be straightened out quickly, so I'm thinking Alamo must have broken some rules.

Or they didn't pay fees? Sorry, didn't read all the way through!

Anybody know about Enterprise at Maui airport

As to Enterprise, instead of their Kahului Airport location, have you considered their location at 40 Hana Highway - right across the street from the area where the POA docks? We have heard (though we have not confirmed it so please check it) that the rental charge is less at the Hana Highway location than at the Airport.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

• 4 weeks later...

What I did for Alamo this week - I went down early to the gangway where passengers were waiting to get off and just announced - "Anyone want to share a cab to airport car rental?"

Found a quick taker so we took an Uber together and split the $9 fare.

Uber cannot enter the place where shuttles come in so it meant an easy 10 minute walk to meet our driver. The gangway opened at 8 a.m. And I was in my car by about 8:16. My companions finished breakfast and walked to the shopping center (Maui Mall) to meet me.

The walkway is industrial but not scary and there is only one way to go so you won't get lost.

One could rent from the Enterprise and not require a cab at all.

After making a big Costco run for shirts, water shoes, coffee and macadamias we decided to cab it back from the airport so we could get closer to the ship. (If you do this ask the rental car shuttle driver to drop you at Baggage Claim to save quite a few steps.)

I was annoyed that the cab driver let loose with a tirade about getting a customer who only wanted to go as far as the "f###in'" cruise ship. And they wonder why people prefer Uber.

Last but not least I changed my two day rental to a one day so I wouldn't have to park overnight but I suspect there would be no issue - just didn't wanna risk it.

Wanted to post all this before I forgot. (And I did not see any rental shuttles in the close-by dropoff.)