Nassau - Jitney map?

kayhold

I dont use public transportation where I live so just want to make sure I understand how these work. Is there a designated "jitney stop" or do you just flag the bus down? Considering heading out to the former Sheraton in June. I have only been to Nassau once before so my experience is limited.

Thanks!

Last October we took #10 Jitney to Sheraton at Cable Beach. We walked thru hotel to beach. Went left to palm trees and free beach and hung there all day. Met nice guy on beach selling pina colada's in real coconuts. He really hustles! We were practically alone there. We are going back on same cruise out of NY in 3 weeks. Now you know secret beach. Day in Nassau cost us $31 for drinks and transportation.

Last October we took #10 Jitney to Sheraton at Cable Beach. We walked thru hotel to beach. Went left to palm trees and free beach and hung there all day. Met nice guy on beach selling pina colada's in real coconuts. He really hustles! We were practically alone there. We are going back on same cruise out of NY in 3 weeks. Now you know secret beach. Day in Nassau cost us $31 for drinks and transportation.

Sheraton is now the melia. It's $30 pp to enter the beach thru the hotel. Security has changed.

If you want a free beach, get off at the beach stop, you'll be alone. Not usually anyone selling drinks on the free beach.

Thanks scubie. You reminded me that Melia bought property. Just back on boards now that trip is getting close. But I think beach is still free just past Melia. There's a strip of land between Melia and Time share that is public.Beach between is 200 feet or so long. Same sand and same water. Guy said he's been working that beach for 10 years. Very friendly amiable family man. I think we'll still give it a go.

Scubagirl - I have read on here that you live in Nassau. Is it safe for Americans to ride the Jitney to the Marathon Mall this month? I will be traveling by cruise ship in a few days. What bus do we take? Is it 1 or 15A? Where can I get on? Thanks so much! :)

Scubagirl - I have read on here that you live in Nassau. Is it safe for Americans to ride the Jitney to the Marathon Mall this month? I will be traveling by cruise ship in a few days. What bus do we take? Is it 1 or 15A? Where can I get on? Thanks so much! :)

Sorry, I can't recommend going outside the main tourist corridor. Besides, there's is nothing to see at the mall. It's pretty dead most of the time, and many of the stores are closed.

If you need to shop, stay on bay street. East Bay has some less touristy shops.

Sorry, I can't recommend going outside the main tourist corridor. Besides, there's is nothing to see at the mall. It's pretty dead most of the time, and many of the stores are closed.

If you need to shop, stay on bay street. East Bay has some less touristy shops.

I really wanted to go to the Christian Book Store in the mall and buy a couple of the Bahamian Choir CD's that I have heard on one of your radio stations when in town. The radio station told me that was the main place in town to buy it. Is it that dangerous that we would be in harms way to step off the bus, go buy the CD and go back? We trust your discretion.

Thanks!

I really wanted to go to the Christian Book Store in the mall and buy a couple of the Bahamian Choir CD's that I have heard on one of your radio stations when in town. The radio station told me that was the main place in town to buy it. Is it that dangerous that we would be in harms way to step off the bus, go buy the CD and go back? We trust your discretion.

Thanks!

I don't know what to tell you. Crime is random. I don't want to tell you that you are safe and then have something happen. I would ask if there are other places to buy them. Perhaps the book store on West Bay.

I don't know what to tell you. Crime is random. I don't want to tell you that you are safe and then have something happen. I would ask if there are other places to buy them. Perhaps the book store on West Bay.

Thank you so much

• 2 months later...

Hello, has anyone used the jitney to get from the cruise port terminal to Paradise Island Ferry Terminal (One Marina Drive)? I am looking into visiting Blue Lagoon and need to get to the ferry terminal to catch the ferry.

Hello, has anyone used the jitney to get from the cruise port terminal to Paradise Island Ferry Terminal (One Marina Drive)? I am looking into visiting Blue Lagoon and need to get to the ferry terminal to catch the ferry.

There are no jitneys allowed on Paradise Island. You're best bet is to grab a cab. Should be $4 per person plus $1 for the toll.

Give yourself plenty of time, traffic can be a nightmare at times.

There are no jitneys allowed on Paradise Island. You're best bet is to grab a cab. Should be $4 per person plus $1 for the toll.

Give yourself plenty of time, traffic can be a nightmare at times.

Thanks for letting me know!

Scubagirl,

I am heading to a Carnival wedding on Orange Hill Beach. I am thinking I take bus 10 and get off near the Orange Hill Beach Inn. Does route 10 go that far? Is it still $1.25 per person to go that far from the cruise ship area.

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

My mother, my sister and I will be going on our first cruise this November and our first stop is Nassau.

We definitely want to do some snorkeling (preferably away from the masses). I'm very interested in the new 'Ocean Atlas' underwater sculpture in the Sir Nicholas Nuttall Coral Reef Sculpture Garden, which as far as I can tell is off the shore of Clifton Heritage Park.

http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publish/service-clubs/BREEF_anchors_its_position_with_Coral_Reef_Sculpture_Garden_printer.shtml

I guess the jitneys don't go out that far, so we'd have to take a taxi. Does anyone have a guess at how much that would cost? I know the taxis aren't metered.

I also thought maybe a cheaper way would be to take the jitney as far west as possible and then take a taxi the rest of the way (for a lesser fee)?

Also, is it safe to travel this far away from the cruise ship/tourist areas?

My mother, my sister and I will be going on our first cruise this November and our first stop is Nassau.

We definitely want to do some snorkeling (preferably away from the masses). I'm very interested in the new 'Ocean Atlas' underwater sculpture in the Sir Nicholas Nuttall Coral Reef Sculpture Garden, which as far as I can tell is off the shore of Clifton Heritage Park.

http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publish/service-clubs/BREEF_anchors_its_position_with_Coral_Reef_Sculpture_Garden_printer.shtml

I guess the jitneys don't go out that far, so we'd have to take a taxi. Does anyone have a guess at how much that would cost? I know the taxis aren't metered.

I also thought maybe a cheaper way would be to take the jitney as far west as possible and then take a taxi the rest of the way (for a lesser fee)?

Also, is it safe to travel this far away from the cruise ship/tourist areas?

Clifton Park is about a $35 cab for 2 each way. Add'l persons would be charged $3 pp. You would have to arrange for a cab to come back and get you, since there is no public transportation out that far.

These statues are still in the design Phase. They won't be installed anytime soon.

Edited by tikib

There are lots of articles that show the 'Ocean Atlas' sculpture is already installed and say there are more to come.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/10/ocean-atlas-a-massive-submerged-girl-carries-the-weight-of-the-ocean/

Thank you for the info. It looks like an amazing, 'can't miss' experience to me (I love snorkeling and diving). As long as it's safe to make the trip, $40 dollars each way is well worth it to me. :)

There are lots of articles that show the 'Ocean Atlas' sculpture is already installed and say there are more to come.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/10/ocean-atlas-a-massive-submerged-girl-carries-the-weight-of-the-ocean/

Thank you for the info. It looks like an amazing, 'can't miss' experience to me (I love snorkeling and diving). As long as it's safe to make the trip, $40 dollars each way is well worth it to me. :)

Sorry, I didn't realize they put it in 2 weeks ago. (no big fanfare here).

I didn't check into it, and I'm told that it will not be accessible to the public til later this year.. no timeline.

I would recheck the dates as you get closer. $80 round trip would be lost if you can't access the area.

Sorry, I didn't realize they put it in 2 weeks ago. (no big fanfare here).

I didn't check into it, and I'm told that it will not be accessible to the public til later this year.. no timeline.

I would recheck the dates as you get closer. $80 round trip would be lost if you can't access the area.

Oh no, that sucks. I really hope they open it up to the public by the time we are there. We were so excited about it :(

In case this doesn't work out, does anyone have any recommendations for snorkeling closer to Nassau that you don't need a boat to get to?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...