Advice Appreciated!

Alright, time for my next decision. I'm trying to decide whether or not to book a Lido or Retreat Cabana for the week, and which to choose if I do book one.

I have done some reading here on CC and see pros and cons to each. As I understand, the Retreat cabanas run the risk of being unusable on rainy days, but offer a relatively quiet escape. Lido cabanas may be a bit too close to the hustle and bustle of the pool for us, but they're able to be enjoyed during incliment weather. I even saw one poster who said they book one of each! I don't think that's the right course of action for me, or my wallet.

I'm slightly overwhelmed with all the extra features and perks I can choose to enhance the trip. What would you do?

Yes, you are. As long as you are an American citizen, you can use your original (or certificate copy) birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

Passport is preferred, but not required for Mexico.

Yes, but if you already have a valid passport (which most do), there's no need to bother with a birth certificate; which can sometimes be more of a hassle.

Yes, but if you already have a valid passport (which most do), there's no need to bother with a birth certificate; which can sometimes be more of a hassle.

Another point - if something happens and you end up having to FLY back to the US from Mexico (or any other country), you will need a passport.

Another point - if something happens and you end up having to FLY back to the US from Mexico (or any other country), you will need a passport.

Yes, indeed. I am following the instructions on my contract explicitly. Passport is a must because HAL says it is! I'd rather be too prepared than not enough.

Talking about and planning this surprise is so much fun!

Talking about and planning this surprise is so much fun!

Yes it is. For us, planning for a cruise is a big part of the fun! And surprises are really fun. For our upcoming sailing in September, l'm surprising my DW with a renewal of vows ceremony conducted by the Captain on board. She is going to be jazzed! :D

Yes it is. For us, planning for a cruise is a big part of the fun! And surprises are really fun. For our upcoming sailing in September, l'm surprising my DW with a renewal of vows ceremony conducted by the Captain on board. She is going to be jazzed! :D

Good plan. The ROV is one of the best things HAL does and is well worth the money IMO.

I would not get off the ship in Jamaica, I will not give them any of my money. Unfortunately I have no say on the port charges.

I 1000% agree Peter. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable or safe on shore there.

We don't like Jamaica at all. Last time we were there, all we wanted to do was rubberneck the shops, get some local food and that was it. Problem was that the entire time we were ashore, we were constantly bombarded by people trying to sell us drugs on the street. And they didn't care who they approached with their sales pitches, including my 12 y/o (at the time) niece.

Not sure if it has changed at all, but we're really not interested in finding out either.:(

Anything you book online before embarkation you will pay for, and the payment will show up as a credit on your shipboard account, so it won't touch your on board credit.

I always book the thermal suite, but I never book it ahead. I've never not been able to get it on embarkation day. I don't book spa treatments ahead, because invariably the 10/20/30 is available at embarkation (10%, 20% and 30% off three treatments booked for the same person).

The only thing I definitely book ahead is specialty dining. Popular times can disappear quickly. You can change things once you're onboard, if need be. On Eurodam I'd always book Tamarind for at least one dinner.

Yes! I commend your knowledge of cocktail history, sir! I could talk about spirits and cocktails all day.

Hold that thought. I'll be staying at the Munson Hospitality House next Friday through Sunday while a family member recuperates from surgery earlier in the week. You can contact me at trainsboston at hotmail dot com if you wish. My partner and I started cruising Holland America about twelve years ago and we find it a nice fit for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not sure if I would book a cabana on my first cruise. There is so much to discover as a first-timer that it may impact the adventure.

If you are a foodie, the Tamarind is a must. In George Town, Grand Cayman, I highly recommend Casanova Ristorante. It's a short walk from the pier and was probably the best food we had the entire trip. Great to sit on the patio and enjoy a nice view of the ship.

IMG_2486_zpstb5moqyg.jpg