Do we really need a Balcony in September

windsurferfirst

I am hoping to sail home to the UK in September on QM2. We live in Canada but are returning home permanently. I have always said when I go home for good this is how I will travel, my husband agreed it would be lovely. Now the cheap skate (I love him really) is counting the pennies and god forbid reneging on his promise. So the question is do we really need a balcony stateroom given that the weather conditions are so unpredictable how much would we use it? Always had a balcony on past cruises but they have been mainly Caribbean cruises and well worth it. I may be able to tip the scales in my favour if I can save a buck or two but if it's at the cost of enjoying the cruise less without one then I'm willing to go to war for it.

Any thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated.

For me a balcony is a necessity even if there was a howling gale on the ocean. Access to fresh ocean air is important to me even if it's just for a few moments. An inside would be like staying in a bomb shelter. Given that you've already had a balcony on other ships I would say that booking an inside or ocean view would probably seem to be a downgrade. You might consider a "sheltered balcony" on decks 4, 5, or 6. It's not possible to see the ocean when seated but many love these balconies for weather as you describe. Some like to sit and read while enjoying the ocean air.

That said, the insides are very nice. Some people love them because they give them great value for their money. If expense is an issue then you might be happy to just be able to get on the ship. Once you are out of your stateroom nobody knows where you are booked.

An ocean view can be a great compromise. You get the larger size of a balcony (some are even a wee bit larger) and light but at a lower cost. And if the weather is good, the promenade deck and lounge chairs are perfect for sitting outside and will be only a few decks away.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

On a transatlantic crossings, we usually chose to get an obstructed view balcony. They are frrequently cheaper than a sheltered balcony and offer all the advantages of a regular balcony with the exception of view. There really isn't much to see once you leave New York until you approach Southampton, and you can get a better view then by going up to top deck or down to deck 7. Obstructed views are all located on deck 8 and mostly mid-ship, which can cut down on motion in rough seas.

If I can manage it, I love sheltered balconies on Decks 4,5 & 6-5 being my fave. Even in extreme weather you can step outside for some sea air in your ‘scanties and robe’ or less, and nobody’s the wiser.;p I love to go out, lean on the rail and enjoy being on the ocean-summer, winter, calm and storm.

A good compromise is a Oceanview with a window NOT a porthole-you get daylight and a sense of what’s going on outside. Enjoy the crossing!

I am hoping to sail home to the UK in September on QM2. We live in Canada but are returning home permanently. I have always said when I go home for good this is how I will travel, my husband agreed it would be lovely. Now the cheap skate (I love him really) is counting the pennies and god forbid reneging on his promise. So the question is do we really need a balcony stateroom given that the weather conditions are so unpredictable how much would we use it? Always had a balcony on past cruises but they have been mainly Caribbean cruises and well worth it. I may be able to tip the scales in my favour if I can save a buck or two but if it's at the cost of enjoying the cruise less without one then I'm willing to go to war for it.

When we did our first Transatlantic it was on the great QE.2 New York to Southampton it was our very first cruise and our Travel Agent advised us to book a inside cabin, he said when crossing the Atlantic you can only see water you hardly see anything no ships or birds,we will be on the QM2 on the 31 Aug on a T/A round trip this will be our 50th Cunard cruise all but 4 have been inside deluxe cabin, no trouble what so ever. What a great idea to sail home back to England think of all the luggage you can bring with you at no extra cost, whichever you chose enjoy the trip and welcome home.:D;p

I wish I had known that this was an option when we moved back to the UK. Only discovered how affordable some crossings can be about 4 years ago and now think this is by far the best way to cross the Atlantic. We've always booked guarantee to keep costs down they mostly get upgraded a grade or 2 There aren't many of the lowest grade balcony cabins (though this time we will definitely be in one as we chose a specific cabin specified no upgrade) My partner likes the balcony because on the occasions you can't go out on deck you can still get some fresh air but from what I hear the inside cabins are relatively spacious and you can put the tv on the webcam channel with the sound down & it acts like a window so you can see the weather. I think you will enjoy the experience whichever cabin you choose. Its a lovely ship & arriving home with no jet lag and a new life to start you'll be totally refreshed and raring to go.

I would always favour a balcony. Many Many times on a Transatlantic (even in January) are there opportunities to step outside your cabin and enjoy a sit down with a glass or two.

A transatlantic in an inside or ocean view cabin would be impossible for me, even in November or January when the sea tends to be rougher than normally, although there are always exceptions to the rule. A balcony cabin gives me the feeling of "being alone with the sea", I can look out and smell the salt in the air, have the nose in the wind and feel the power of nature. Go for it, you might regret it if you don't!

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think if we are going to do this then a balcony cabin is the only way. As soon as I have definite dates for our departure I will be going into battle - man the best man win. I am confident it will be a woman winning the battle in our house. :D

We are doing the same as you, moving back to the Uk in September and using the QM2 as a convenient way to transport us and our pet dog! Our first ever cruise was aboard the QE2, a west bound TA. We booked an inside but were upgraded to an outside. I have done an inside cabin since but personally speaking, I prefer an outside at the least and preferably, a balcony. On the particular crossing we are doing, there are no outsides available so a balcony it must be! ;) Personally I love seeing the waves on a TA, it's all part of the fun for me! :D I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Speaking personally it has to be a balcony cabin or nothing. I sailed TA in November and spent hours out there, the weather was wonderful, and a breath of fresh air before dinner without having to go up on deck is really nice. I always have breakfast in the cabin and watching the ocean wander by as I munch on some toast is incredibly relaxing as I sit there planning what to do that day.

In the spirit of compromise. The cheaper balcony state rooms are on the lower decks. I would prefer mid ship if possible. Has anyone had a stateroom on the lower decks? I have aways had a state room on the higher decks on previous cruises, is there any disadvantage to the lower decks?

In the spirit of compromise. The cheaper balcony state rooms are on the lower decks. I would prefer mid ship if possible. Has anyone had a stateroom on the lower decks? I have aways had a state room on the higher decks on previous cruises, is there any disadvantage to the lower decks?

We have done three cruises on QM2 in sheltered balconies on Deck 5. We like the location. Two decks up to King Court, two decks down to Restaurant/shops etc. We have also done a November TA on Deck 4. Indeed the very end cabin and even though we 30' swells for a couple of days the QM2 handled it well and we felt little movement.

I always take sheltered cabins, they provide more privacy than the ones higher up. Midships cabins generally are more expensive, Less expensive cabins normally are located at the aft. If your concern is less movement which is normally midship, my experience is that (in general) there is not much difference whether a cabin is located at vow, midship or aft. QM2 always handles movements very well.

Wish I could go as well, but I can't :loudcry: . Bon voyage!

Has anyone had a stateroom on the lower decks? I have aways had a state room on the higher decks on previous cruises, is there any disadvantage to the lower decks?

We've always been on deck 4 sheltered balcony and love them You can still sit and sunbathe on them, though it is true you can't see the sea unless you stand up. Also we were close to the © lifts/stairs once and loved being so close to the Britannia restaurant it was so convenient for all the inside ship things. I suppose having to go 3 flights up for Kings court & the promenade deck could be seen as a negative but I like to think it allows me to eat more of the lovely food as I'm doing the stairs which must burn calories. :D

We tried balcony room twice and Oceanview room once. Stayed inside for most of our cruises. I have to say that we only went to the balcony twice e for a short time. We went out for excursions or stayed in the deck or atrium most of the time. So, a stateroom is just for us to sleep. We woke up earlier because of the light from the window. Bu tif we stayed in the inside room, we can sleep longer because the room is always dark.

To cross Atlantic, you only see the ocean and nothing else. Besides, it is best to stay inside in case of rough sea. My two cents.

However, the access to fresh air is good with balcony room. But this always depends on how often you stay in your stateroom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe I am weird but I love having a balcony much more in cold and rough seas.

I do not use the balcony for the sun or even the view. There are top decks for those. I go to the balcony to be alone with the sea.

Right on generi,! I always go out on my balcony night or day when the Atlantic is cutting up rough. There is something extraordinary about rough seas anytime as the ship is plowing, pitching and rolling. It gets you in touch with nature and the reality of sea travel. I just read a NYTimes piece from August 1930 about the PARIS getting slammed so hard her port side Prom. Deck windows were smashed and several passengers were swept down interior stairs by a wave of seawater. Yes, the outer decks were closed but the wave was a monster and there was a huge amount of water being shipped and much damage.

This is the reason I prefer enclosed balconies; reduced chance of being swept away through shattered glass. :D After seeing a picture of the bridge-front of the Lusitania after a rogue-wave and remembering what happened to the Michelangelo 50 years ago, I am grateful for Stephen Payne’s QM2 bridge front design.