Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

Was told by a friend who is a nurse at a NYC ER where the protocol is that anyone with a fever is asked if they visited Africa and if so, the nurse takes the person to see a doctor. A woman came in with a fever and was asked the question and when she said yes, she had been to Africa recently, she was taken to see a doctor. After listening to the case, the doctor informed both nurse and patient that Honduras was in fact not in Africa.

Was told by a friend who is a nurse at a NYC ER where the protocol is that anyone with a fever is asked if they visited Africa and if so, the nurse takes the person to see a doctor. A woman came in with a fever and was asked the question and when she said yes, she had been to Africa recently, she was taken to see a doctor. After listening to the case, the doctor informed both nurse and patient that Honduras was in fact not in Africa.

I really did LOL...... then realized how sad.

But this likely is not a 'rare' exception. :)

I really did LOL...... then realized how sad.

But this likely is not a 'rare' exception. :)

Laughable and sad but also worrisome if people are so uninformed yet are depended on them to help prevent the spread of a disease.

Edited by Boytjie

I am right now listening live to the House Subcommittee hearing on Response to Ebola.....

talk about worrisome!!!

Certainly must be, considering how it seems so many in the House don't cotton to all that science-y stuff, and how likely many are to politicize any and every thing...

seriously?

has he been to Africa or Texas?

(shakes head). . .

*by the way, Dallas airport is not in Dallas (it's between Dallas and Ft. Worth, and it's huge). So the odds of you being near anything in Dallas airport that was even close to anyone that possibly was infected are minimal.

and in the same breath, let me explain how CDC is not anywhere near the Atlanta airport (which also is HUGE), and the patients that came into the CDC for treatment I can guarantee you did not walk thru the terminals regardless.

so no need to panic.

Yes, because everyone knows Texas is a hotbed of Ebola activity. :rolleyes:

We just got back from Peace Corps South Africa. West Africa was evacuated by PC, but avoiding a country like SA because of Ebola fears would be like refusing to visit NYC because of an outbreak in north-western Mexico or California.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by sakana

When I taught in college years ago I used to give a Geography test (locate the place) in my beginning anthropology class.... you should have seen what the students put on the map!!!!! Many could not even locate the state we were in (Colorado) on a map of the U.S with states drawn in.

Susan

When I taught in college years ago I used to give a Geography test (locate the place) in my beginning anthropology class.... you should have seen what the students put on the map!!!!! Many could not even locate the state we were in (Colorado) on a map of the U.S with states drawn in.

Susan

Agreed! Americans on the whole are clueless about global geography. Duncan probably said he was from Liberia and the intake person thought "there's no Ebola in Libya".

Can someone summarize the Shepard Smith clip for me? Is it a slam on media hysteria?

Agreed! Americans on the whole are clueless about global geography. Duncan probably said he was from Liberia and the intake person thought "there's no Ebola in Libya".

Can someone summarize the Shepard Smith clip for me? Is it a slam on media hysteria?

here's the transcript (from "the Daily Banter" site. .but it IS word for word what he says)

“For the next few minutes I’m gonna give you the facts on Ebola. It’ll take just three minutes. But first, today, given what we know, you should have no concerns about Ebola at all — none, I promise. Unless a medical professional has contacted you personally and told you about some sort of possible exposure, fear not. Do not listen to the hysterical voices on the radio and the television or read the fear-provoking words online. The people who say and write hysterical things are being very irresponsible. Here are the facts: a man contracted Ebola overseas. Tragically, he was dying in a Texas hospital. He was his most contagious while showing the most symptoms; that’s how Ebola works. And a healthcare worker at the hospital got the virus from him. She is doing well she says, Skyping with her family from isolation just yesterday, saying she’s blessed to have so much support and such great medical care. The CDC director told us, all of us, yesterday that he did indeed expect other healthcare workers at that hospital who treated that one dying patient to contract the virus — and that’s now happened. Another healthcare worker at that same hospital now has Ebola. They tell us they’re transferring her to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. Now, before she showed symptoms she flew from Cleveland to Dallas on Frontier Airlines. They say she should not have done that but she did. But as we all now know, if you don’t show symptoms you are not contagious. She did not show symptoms, according to the doctors. Still, medical professionals are contacting everyone who was on that plane to make sure each person is okay. The CDC director says chances are very slim that any of those passengers is sick.

Now, big picture, and this is important. You have to remember that in the middle of all of this, you have to remember that there is politics in the mix. With mid-term elections coming, the party in charge has to appear to be effectively leading. The party out of power needs to show that there is a lack of leadership. So the president has canceled a fundraising trip and is holding meetings and his political opponents are accusing his administration of poor leadership. For the purpose of this fact-dissemination exercise, those matters are immaterial. Again, these are the facts. We do not have an outbreak of Ebola in the United States, nowhere. We do have two healthcare workers who contracted the disease from a dying man — they are isolated. There is no information to suggest that the virus has spread to anyone in the general population in America. Not one person in the general population in the United States. Suggestions have been made publicly that leaders and medical professionals may be lying to us. Those suggestions are completely without basis in fact. There is no evidence of any kind, of which we at Fox News are aware, that leaders have lied about anything regarding Ebola. I report to you with certainty this afternoon that being afraid at all is the wrong thing to do. Being “petrified,” and that’s a quote, is ridiculous. The panic that has tanked the stock market and left people fearful that their children will get sick at school is counterproductive and lacks basis in fact or reason. There is no Ebola spreading in America. Should that change our reporting will change. But there is nothing to indicate that it will. Best advice for you and your family at this moment? Get a flu shot. Unlike Ebola, flu is easily transmitted. Flu along with resulting pneumonia killed 52,000 American last year alone. A fly shot will reduce your chance of getting flu. So get one.”

Edited by bert425

If you are in good health then travel is safe wherever you choose. If you are immune compromised ie sick, run down, chronic diseases, then being prudent is wise.

No reason to think the two young women, nurses at the hospital in Dallas, are not otherwise healthy....... aside from testing positive for Ebola.

Yes, I would.

I'm not all together crazy about the demonstrations in Hong Kong lately.

curious to see if the Amsterdam doing the Asia Grand Voyage heads in for their overnite in HK or bypasses it --should be next Thurs/Fri.. they are headed to Shanghai right now

It's hard to put all the blame on CDC for problems when Emory and Omaha hospitals have had no problems at all and every problem that has happened has been in Dallas.

That's because Emory and Nebraska are two of only four hospitals in the entire U.S. that already have Level 4 isolation units, staff who are trained in the use of Level 4 PPE, AND the Level 4 PPE supplies. Dallas had none of that. It's inaccurate to compare the facilities because they are NOT equivalent.

No reason to think the two young women, nurses at the hospital in Dallas, are not otherwise healthy....... aside from testing positive for Ebola.

But they were in direct contact with Duncan when he was very sick and so they were exposed to infection at a much higher rate than the vast majority of us will ever be exposed to.

But they were in direct contact with Duncan when he was very sick and so they were exposed to infection at a much higher rate than the vast majority of us will ever be exposed to.

What I find really interesting is that, so far at least, the family members who were living with him have not come down with it. That says something about transmission.... I am not sure just what.

Susan

What I find really interesting is that, so far at least, the family members who were living with him have not come down with it. That says something about transmission.... I am not sure just what.

Susan

It seems to confirm what the experts have been telling us.

When he was very sick and vey contagious he was not around his family but with the nurses.

My beloved home just keeps getting put on page one for really awful things. First it was JFK and now it's ebola. :mad:

I can guarantee you we're getting more media hype about Thomas Eric Duncan, Nina Pham and Amber Vinson than anyone anywhere else in the world. Our local ABC channel broke into ABC World News Tonight this evening to show live coverage of the ambulance taking Ms. Pham from Presby Dallas to the airport. It's crazy.

Edited by DizzyDallasDi