Stolen Passport (Russia - St. Petersburg)

Harley0711

It is more about being cautious with your passport & other valuables than just staying on the ship

There are bad people everywhere

Just keep your documents in a pouch UNDER your clothing

787dd241-f37a-4f64-ae21-12b163a8643a_1.ee8eff01f4bc7da050529e358752a03c.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Seems a shame to miss such an interesting city as SPB

to each his own though

On one cruise 15 passports were stolen in Barcelona. I second use a money belt and carry a little cash and a throwaway wallet that wouldn't ruin your holiday if it was stolen A slash proof purse can be pulled off you and you can be injured in the process. My husband was pick pocketed in a large bus parking garage in Sicily. So it can happen anywhere, and they are organized. Just don't make yourself an easy target and leave the flashy jewelry at home. That way you can enjoy the beauty of SPB one of my favourite cities to visit.

I am impressed that the victim was able to see a consular officer and get a new passport on a Sunday. The official workweek at the consulate in St. Petersburg is Monday through Friday.

There are after-hour operators at the embassies. DD has had to call the US embassy in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It really isn't a hassle to visit - just let your tour company do all the visa work and follow their instructions disembarking the ship.

Pickpockets are everywhere and are commonly complained about in Paris and Barcelona and other major cities and precautions must be taken anywhere you travel.

You obviously didn't read my second post :)

Edited by ExpatBride

There are after-hour operators at the embassies. DD has had to call the US embassy in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm well aware of that since my DH worked at many of them in the past and was on the receiving end of those forwarded phone calls :D. Now travelers can even call consular affairs in the States in an emergency. It is just that a stolen passport was/is not necessarily a top priority for the State Department during off hours. You would not believe some of the issues that happen after hours and on weekends.

I'm well aware of that since my DH worked at many of them in the past and was on the receiving end of those forwarded phone calls :D. Now travelers can even call consular affairs in the States in an emergency. It is just that a stolen passport was/is not necessarily a top priority for the State Department during off hours. You would not believe some of the issues that happen after hours and on weekends.

I would imagine that "where" makes a big difference- a stolen passport in Russia is a bigger deal than a stolen passport in Great Britain. Of course that is just a guess.

Another lesson to be learned here is to stash your passport in a different safe place than your money. Pickpockets are after money and credit cards, they get the passport as a bonus and most have no use for it.

While touring you might need money or a credit card, there's almost no situation while touring where you'll need to pull out your passport, so once you've shown it where required put it somewhere even you have a hard time getting to.

Edited by euro cruiser

My thanks to all the posters here and WOW, most of you are in the 4+ digits of posts.... I am impressed.

There is a book out there that everyone should read.. "Gift of Fear" by, Gavin De Becker. Great read and teaches great life's lesson's. Several years ago my wife was mugged/robbed "ya she read the book and this day she admits her guard was down and it happened" He was after her purse. So, since then she does NOT carry a purse. She has learned to live with out it and it makes her life easier and in todays life = there are MANY people out there looking to separate us from our money, its just facts of life. So many tourist are easy targets - The person in my story did everything she should and still the bad guy found that 'Window' and struck - She is baffled at when and how. the ONLY thing that was the issue was the Passport and ONLY in this port did we need it with us. I have toured many countries and so far ONLY Russia required it to get off the ship... I am Not saying Russia is the Only country just the only one for me. Because of my friends bad luck, I have learned and that is the ONLY reason for this posting here. To tell a story and maybe help just one person from being a target. Living here in the US, we have often become lax in our thinking of 'safety' and as a tourist - we stick out like a 'sore thumb' cameras at the ready and looking all around. As I walked this time in the Baltic I looked at all the high-end camera's - 100's of $$$ and bags and back packs full of ????? To the pick pocket or thief - 'Lambs for the slaughter' Not being gross or negative, just realistic - If you or I happen to catch their attention - they sit - wait and watch and as a team - you Will be approached. If I am in a place that requires my passport, I will take advice given here and separate them.

That's for all the advice posted and keep it coming..

I would encourage you to visit St. Petersburg - It really is a wonderful place and I enjoyed it a LOT... Just have to be very careful - The ONLY way to get off the ship is on an organized tour OR you have your own Visa (take months to get) WE used ALLA and I would recommend over the ships tours, much less and much smaller group - just be prepared for LOTS of walking,

However, you must do what you feel is good for you - I us a http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Fatboy-S-Type-Versipack-Closeout-FINAL-SALE-29p49.htm

and Love it... over the shoulder and in front/side all the time, Wife carries NOTHING -

These guys usually look for what they feel are EASY targets - do you best to NOT be one - they will just look past you and find someone else - that's the best we can do... they are Not going away

Love Max products. I used a Sitka on all our day excursions (including Russia) and carry a Falcon II daily. DW has the jumbo. I noticed they are really trying to push the next gen stuff and many products are going for a third of what I initially paid. Bargain hunters unite!

Edited by Brigbound

My thanks to all the posters here and WOW, most of you are in the 4+ digits of posts.... I am impressed.

There is a book out there that everyone should read.. "Gift of Fear" by, Gavin De Becker. Great read and teaches great life's lesson's. Several years ago my wife was mugged/robbed "ya she read the book and this day she admits her guard was down and it happened" He was after her purse. So, since then she does NOT carry a purse. She has learned to live with out it and it makes her life easier and in todays life = there are MANY people out there looking to separate us from our money, its just facts of life. So many tourist are easy targets - The person in my story did everything she should and still the bad guy found that 'Window' and struck - She is baffled at when and how. the ONLY thing that was the issue was the Passport and ONLY in this port did we need it with us. I have toured many countries and so far ONLY Russia required it to get off the ship... I am Not saying Russia is the Only country just the only one for me. Because of my friends bad luck, I have learned and that is the ONLY reason for this posting here. To tell a story and maybe help just one person from being a target. Living here in the US, we have often become lax in our thinking of 'safety' and as a tourist - we stick out like a 'sore thumb' cameras at the ready and looking all around. As I walked this time in the Baltic I looked at all the high-end camera's - 100's of $$$ and bags and back packs full of ????? To the pick pocket or thief - 'Lambs for the slaughter' Not being gross or negative, just realistic - If you or I happen to catch their attention - they sit - wait and watch and as a team - you Will be approached. If I am in a place that requires my passport, I will take advice given here and separate them.

Great book. Ever read any by Massad Ayoob? In the Gravest Extreme is a quick but informative read.

That is a great book! You are right, you don't want to be a sitting duck! And they do target in teams, so make yourself less of a target! I agree no purse that you are not willing to lose. The risk is too great. Our cruise ship brought on an amazing speaker who could pickpocket a belt or glasses without people realizing it. Keep your passport under your clothes people!

Another lesson to be learned here is to stash your passport in a different safe place than your money. Pickpockets are after money and credit cards, they get the passport as a bonus and most have no use for it.

There's a huge black market for stolen passports.

I was really shocked that Alla left a couple at a restaurant on their own, Tourist company Visas in Russia clearly state the tour company rep needs to stay with the group. If Police had approached the couple in the restaurant there would have been problems.

Thankful I didn't book Alla when we were there in 2013..we also booked TJ and they were excellent.

Very sad for the couple involved though. Would it have been better for a cruise line representative to get the medicines etc so the husband could ahve stayed wit his wife? The St Pete's agents were abrupt but then again so were the border agents in Newark airport.

I was really shocked that Alla left a couple at a restaurant on their own, Tourist company Visas in Russia clearly state the tour company rep needs to stay with the group. If Police had approached the couple in the restaurant there would have been problems.

Thankful I didn't book Alla when we were there in 2013..we also booked TJ and they were excellent.

Very sad for the couple involved though. Would it have been better for a cruise line representative to get the medicines etc so the husband could ahve stayed wit his wife? The St Pete's agents were abrupt but then again so were the border agents in Newark airport.

being left at the restaurant was talked about - the 'rules' were known and all were ok with how it was done - at the time it seems to be a non issue HOWEVER all knew what was being done.

As far as the husband - had he realized - I am sure he would have not gone across the line - just my thoughts on this part because I am not 100% sure of all the minor details = where he knew or not = the port employees and the Immigration workers did all they could to assist - Russia immigration is tuff "I support that and wish our Country would also be MORE STRICT on who comes and goes" - I knew before I crossed the line to get the addresses for the wife and the port worker and Immigration officer worked together on my behalf - I could hand him what was needed - just I was not allowed back in the terminal. Both were very polite and helpful to me I have NO issues with either.

Not sure how booking with TJ would have saved your passport?? I believe ALLA went above and beyond to help the passenger - Hotel would not take her and She refused the 'Hostel' The owner of Alla contacted daughter who opened her home to the passenger ... Other than the Restaurant (Which the passenger knew and accepted (they were eating the meal for no more than 60 min) but you are correct IF something had happened then - possible trouble. realizing you have a missing passport at 10PM on a Saturday night is NEVER a good thing..

Not sure how booking with TJ would have saved your passport?? I believe ALLA went above and beyond to help the passenger - Hotel would not take her and She refused the 'Hostel' The owner of Alla contacted daughter who opened her home to the passenger ... Other than the Restaurant (Which the passenger knew and accepted (they were eating the meal for no more than 60 min) but you are correct IF something had happened then - possible trouble. realizing you have a missing passport at 10PM on a Saturday night is NEVER a good thing..

Didn't say TJ would have saved my passport I am just glad I booked with them regarding our rep staying with us. No-one had passport problems in our TJ group so I can't speculate on what would have happened.

I'm surprised that anyone would carry a passport, credit cards and anything more than a few dollars/Euro/pounds worth of cash anywhere other than in a belt pack hidden under their clothing where unless you are stripped of your clothing, it can't be accessed. We use those faithfully when traveling anywhere where we have to carry our passports on our person.

I'm surprised that anyone would carry a passport, credit cards and anything more than a few dollars/Euro/pounds worth of cash anywhere other than in a belt pack hidden under their clothing where unless you are stripped of your clothing, it can't be accessed. We use those faithfully when traveling anywhere where we have to carry our passports on our person.

Totally agree! The only way to go! People think slash proof bags are safe. They dont know how good the pickpockets are!

How do you access your passport when you have to show it on your way out of and into the port in St. Petersburg or in airports and hotels in other countries? You are obviously not going to strip in front of the immigration officer. ;)

How do you access your passport when you have to show it on your way out of and into the port in St. Petersburg or in airports and hotels in other countries? You are obviously not going to strip in front of the immigration officer. ;)

The same way I have done it to show my passport getting off/on the ship in Venice, leaving St Pancras to France and leaving Gare Du Nord for London, checking into my hotel in any number of countries, or on arrival at an airport. I discreetly loosen my belt and pull the pouch up over the top of my pants while in a safe area such as the hotel lobby or immigration line. It's not like you are strapping it around your thigh so you need to lower your pants or hike up your skirt to get to it. It takes a few seconds, and then when finished, I return it to the pouch, tuck that back into my pants, tuck in my shirt, retighten my belt, and done.

I'm not sure why you think it is such a big deal. It's far less of a hassle than having to replace a passport in another country, don't you think?

I am sure this works well for you. I prefer to keep my passport tucked in my small cross body bag, NOT in the part that can be opened with one zipper. So far, the passport has been safe in many unsafe parts of the world including crowds in St. Petersburg.

There will always be moments of inattentiveness during travel like taking pictures, reading a map or a guidebook in a public place, looking at shop windows, at monuments, at churches etc. We all hope that our precautions will be sufficient although I have seen people who don't take any. The lady with five gold rings studded with precious stone was amazed when I told her to better leave them on the ship before going ashore in Buenos Aires.

Agreed! I have seen people with so much Jewelry that makes them a target! People on our Barcelona lost a very expensive necklace after some nice young women helped clean up "pigeon poo".

Also in Barcelona we saw numerous bags and packs in garbages after the whole bag had been taken. 15 people lost passports on that stop!

So you just do the best you can, but I am a firm believer in money belts and a throwaway wallet with enough cash for the day.

We also use body pouches. I wear mine around my waist, under my pants or capris. I can remove it and take out the passport for an official then put it back. I only wear tops that go over my pants, not tucked in. My husband wears his across his body under his shirt. He lifts up his shirt and I get his passport out. He could do this himself if necessary. We do not use cross body bags because they can be violently stolen.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Interesting - my experience with the lady at the window was 100% painless - fast and easy both days - go figure..

about the bag... right on - However, you guilde with Alla should have warned you - ours did and told all of us NOT to bring a big bag - she explained the size - she told us we would NOT be allowed to bring it in.. Too bad they forgot to warn you. We had a great guide and ST. Petersburg was a favorite port of mine... Love it all

Most of the museums in Europe, not just Russia, do not allow large bags - they must be checked.

I am glad that you enjoyed St. Petersburg - it is a beautiful and interesting city, is it not? I have also used Alla Tours and enjoyed the tours immensely.

You are absolutely correct - once through Russian immigration, you are not allowed to go through again unless you have a proper Russian VISA or visa waiver (with the appropriate time marked). I do have a Russian visa so I am allowed to pass through immigration whenever I wish. However, on my first visit via cruise ship, I, too, did not have a visa - had to abide by the rules imposed by Russian immigration.

It is a shame that the passport was stolen. However, as others have already mentioned, it is best to wear your money belt inside your clothing. Those of us who are frequent travelers in Europe are very aware that the pickpockets are like magicians - they can rob you in an instant without your knowledge & they employ many creative tricks. (I actually use a Rick Steves passport wallet for my cash, credit cards and passport (when required to carry it) and I wear it INSIDE my shirt, cross body. Fortunately, I have never been a victim of a pickpocket.) I do carry a small purse that contains NO valuables whatsoever & have had items removed from it in Italy by experts. However, poor pickpocket - all that they scored was some tissues, chapstick, a map and some wet wipes. Bet the thief was pretty disappointed. :D

On the other hand, my older brother, (although warned by me in Naples NOT to carry his credit card in his pocket but to wear a money belt or let me carry his card in my passport wallet) refused to heed my advice saying that his card would be safe in his front zippered pocket & he would surely feel any attempt to pick his pocket. He was the victim of a pickpocket on the tram. Fortunately, it was only a credit card and some Euros but it was still a hassle to cancel the card. Big bro now listens to little sis.

The lady in question was very lucky that Alla was able to put her up for the night - this was very kind of Alla tours - they obviously went above and beyond the call of duty. Most would not do what Alla did - a man lost his passport while on tour in China & the tour company did nothing to help him. I am happy to hear that she was able to secure a temporary passport at the embassy. Lesson learned the hard way.

I am totally "with you" regarding remaining with a family member. Had a member of my family not been able to clear immigration, I would also conveniently lose my passport. Anyway, it was very nice of you to post this information for those who are not aware.

Edited by dogs4fun

Thank you for posting this. It's great information forear everyone, not only for Russia, but for every port. I know that you have to have your passport with you in Russia, but let this be a lesson for those who insist on taking their passports with them off the ship in ports of call where it's not necessary to have a passport. My TA put all his stuff in the locked trunk of a rental car in Grand Cayman only to have it broken into and all the passports, credit cards and money taken for his family of 6. Lesson learned----don't take your passports with you unless the law requires it.

Sorry, no, wrong thinking. One reason why passports are lost, is because people have no habits with them. they get pulled out once a year on a trip, then get put in a "safe" place at home in a drawer. Do you really think that passport is MORE valuable than your money, credit cards, driver's license???? Believe me, ALL it will take is ONE incident in a foreign country where you need that passport and you will be darn sorry, you left it on a ship. My passport is ALWAYS with me, has been for years. I have the HABIT of knowing where it belongs and where it goes after using it. Just like your wallet, credit cards, license. It's automatic. You aren't in a store fumbling around looking in multiple places for money or putting back change. etc etc. you have a particular habit.

Every trip I see easy marks and it amazes me, more aren't ripped off. Some should have a sign on them they are so revealing and sloppy. There are NO guarantees with pick pockets, but they are a lazy bunch, they don't target the "challenge" option, unless, there is a big potential pay off. I'hope I continue to stay ahead of them, but my passport will continue to be with me.