What is you favorite purse designer/brand?

I could never imagine spending $1500 or more on a handbag..OMG!!!

I can only ask why???

What is the difference between a bag that is similiar in style but might be $100. Is it just for the designer name??

Does everyone change handbags every day?

I know the price seems insane but a quality handbag is my only vice that I've had since a child and I love LV and yes I use it everyday and I only buy the classic LV monogram. I also have small classic gucci bags for evening which I use maybe 6 times a year. I am very hard on handbags and I love my LV speedy as it's like a mini suitcase. It's not the name I love but the quality, classic design and size of LV and it's timeless and no matter what I do to a LV it always looks good and requires no care and it goes with everything. It's really not expensive if you divide the cost by how many years you have a good handbag.;)

• 7 years later...

I like Coach and Kate Spade. But I am looking to add other brand(s) to my collection since I don't like too many of the same brands. Of the high-end designers the only one I could see myself buying would be LV, but obviously it is very costly and I debate if I should get one. Also doesn't help that we only dress casual at my work place.

Edited by ptcruiser2006

I like Coach and Kate Spade. But I am looking to add other brand(s) to my collection since I don't like too many of the same brands. Of the high-end designers the only one I could see myself buying would be LV, but obviously it is very costly and I debate if I should get one. Also doesn't help that we only dress casual at my work place.

May I ask how you found a thread that is almost 8 years old? Were you doing a search?

Just curious.

I am very weird about my bags. I have several LV and Gucci. The most current look new, because I don't like to wear them much. I have a Burberry trench that looks like new, as well.

I like having a LOT of purses, so I look for bags marked at least 60% off. I'm wearing a yellow Coach often that was a deal and a color block Badgley Mischka black/white. Normally, I stay away from Coach. I don't like to look like everyone else. I used to be into Dooney/Burke, and now I have a bunch that I don't want to wear. I'll bring them out next year, or the year after. I am currently into changing bags with outfits.

This thread may be old, but it is still something we are interested in on a category labeled "cruisefashions and beauty".

To those asking how/why I respond to this old thread - I came across it when i attempted a search on which port i can buy a nice handbag. And oh I completely forgot to check the last post date. Asked admin to remove my post but no response yet. My apologies if I inconveniced anyone here - I am a newbie and just trying to so some research here :o

To those asking how/why I respond to this old thread - I came across it when i attempted a search on which port i can buy a nice handbag. And oh I completely forgot to check the last post date. Asked admin to remove my post but no response yet. My apologies if I inconveniced anyone here - I am a newbie and just trying to so some research here :o

Absolutely no problem...it is still a pertinent thread. I was just wondering how it was found.

I guess there are no expiration dates on threads. I've seen some come up a couple of years old, this one was just older.

My favorites are LV and Chanel. I also have Christian Dior, MCM, Kate Spade and Coach. I recently purchased a Jim Thompson canvas bag which I saw someone purchase on CC which is a fun bag. I really like most handbags I purchase. For me having them is like a hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love my Coach and Brighton Bags. As much as I love drooling over them, I have award time justifying the expense of the luxury brands. I'd rather spend that $$ on my vacations!

My travel bags need to have more functionality, with easy access to phone, tablet etc…. Cute-ness factor, while important, is not the be-all end-all when I am on a trip. I have a few in different sizes, depending on what my itinerary is. I try not to use a large bag on vacation, as then I end up being the carrier for the family:rolleyes: I only carry a big bag (tote) for the beach.

I have several different bags - a super small Kiplinger, and a couple of Fossil bags that are pretty casual, but good for bopping around for the day.

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12052&langId=-1&catalogId=25005&categoryId=331141&cm_vc=331141&pn=&productId=22549238&imagePath=ZB5802206

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12052&langId=-1&catalogId=25005&categoryId=331141&cm_vc=331141&pn=&productId=22531086&imagePath=ZB5733105

I just picked up this bag but in a silver metallic: http://www.thesak.com/crossbodies/deena-crossbody/productOptionIDs/78dc1095-ad4c-4847-a79f-5b16aea667e7

And my go to beach bag is Vera Bradley's Miller bag: http://www.verabradley.com/product/Travel/Travel-Bags/Miller-Bag/154787/defaultColorVariantId/178493/pc/1088/c/0/sc/1147/p/154787.uts

But they have a few really cute bags I might need to look at for my trip this summer:

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Handbags/Totes/Large-Straw-Tote/1003352/defaultColorVariantId/197568/pc/1087/c/0/sc/1134/p/1003352.uts

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Handbags/Totes/Laser-Cut-Tote/1003375/defaultColorVariantId/197645/pc/1087/c/0/sc/1134/p/1003375.uts

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Handbags/Totes/Be-Colorful-Tote/1003381/defaultColorVariantId/197684/pc/1087/c/0/sc/1134/p/1003381.uts

Too bad Desperatehousewife, who started the thread, is not still around. She was always a hoot.:D Wish Jane110 was still around as well.:(

Yeah, it would be wonderful to "hear" from them again.

Resurrecting such an old thread was kind of fun. I found my post and...still have the same bags, still use them. Of course I've added a few, not many as they are so expensive. Michael Kors still is a fave of mine, my most recent purchase is an Eric Javits, love it!

I generally don't purchase more than one handbag a year, some years none at all. I prefer having classic looking rather than trendy so I can carry them for years to come. And I like real leather, so they are costly and I can't afford to have too many. I absolutely hate when a phony leather like fabric starts to show wear, those I throw into the trash or Goodwill right away.

I rarely have met a handbag I didn't like!:eek: LOL!

I have bags that I've purchased at thrift stores to LV, Michael Kors, Coach, etc., etc. If I like it I get it. Needless to say, I have a huge collection. I have tote bags, messenger bags, clutches, wristlets, hobo...you name a style I have it. I just love, love, love, handbags!:D I have many one-of-a-kind and I'd say that those, along with my collection of vintage bags, are my favorite. I rarely, only once I beleive, have paid full price for a top end designer bag.) I get a lot of them at Ross 4 Less (my favorite Michael Kors bag came from there), Marshalls (where I got another one of my Michael Kors), and at the Coach outlet. The one bag that I did pay full price for is my LV cosmetic bag. I purchased it at Saks Fifth Avenue when I used to work in Beverly Hills, CA many, many years ago! (Late 70s). It's a large cosmetic bag that I've carried as a "clutch" forever. I love it! It cost $80 and that what a big deal for me back in the day. Now, I doubt I'd ever pay full price for a top designer bag again. Not when I can get such great ones at TJ Maxx or at the outlets. The Michael Kors outlet in Camarillo, CA is awesome! Love, the styles and prices!:D I just saw a cute Kate Spade bag ($40) that I might go back to TJ Maxx and buy. Hope it's still there! :)

Edited by mousey

The purse I have been carrying for over a year is by B Maroswky. (may be spelled last name wrong)I know nothing about this designer but I could tell the bag was quality. It still looks as good as it did the day I bought it. It is a snake print-may be faux snake print but if it is, it must be a top quality faux leather as it feels and looks like leather.

I have had total strangers come up to me numerous times and compliment me on this bag. I love it simply because it is a great neutral and so goes with everything outside of evening wear. I just can't believe that several bags I paid at least double when I bought them did not even last a year. I will look for this brand for bags from now on.

As I said before I used to love Etinne Aigner. I could find those in thrift stores 20 plus years ago and they still looked great, I would carry them for years, then tired of them as had the original owner, I would also donate them for another person to carry for years until they tired of the bag. But their quality is crap on the newer bags. The only good bags are those that have no cell phone pockets. Anything made since cell phones became popular is crap. Every once in a while I come across one of those over 30 years old in a flea market/antique store and they STILL look great

The purse I have been carrying for over a year is by B Maroswky. (may be spelled last name wrong)I know nothing about this designer but I could tell the bag was quality. It still looks as good as it did the day I bought it. It is a snake print-may be faux snake print but if it is, it must be a top quality faux leather as it feels and looks like leather.

I have had total strangers come up to me numerous times and compliment me on this bag. I love it simply because it is a great neutral and so goes with everything outside of evening wear. I just can't believe that several bags I paid at least double when I bought them did not even last a year. I will look for this brand for bags from now on.

As I said before I used to love Etinne Aigner. I could find those in thrift stores 20 plus years ago and they still looked great, I would carry them for years, then tired of them as had the original owner, I would also donate them for another person to carry for years until they tired of the bag. But their quality is crap on the newer bags. The only good bags are those that have no cell phone pockets. Anything made since cell phones became popular is crap. Every once in a while I come across one of those over 30 years old in a flea market/antique store and they STILL look great

I have lots of Makowsky purses as well. They are made very well. I've seen them at Nordstrom (I think) but I pick them up at TJMaxx.

I have lots of Makowsky purses as well. They are made very well. I've seen them at Nordstrom (I think) but I pick them up at TJMaxx.

Yes, they have them and you can get them for under $100 most of the time or slightly over. I bought a Sax once there too. It actually cost more but was falling apart before I had had it 6 months. I also bought a Steve Madden there too for about the same price, it also did not hold up, maybe made it 4 months with that purse but then I do not think tha tis as quality a name. A couple of other brands I have bought online and paid much more and the same thing. (one of the online sites allowed me to make monthly payments on my credit card without charging interest as they billed me monthly)They did not hold up for me either. Now I refuse to buy online, and or for that matter even in person because of a name. It has to look very well made. I guess I am just rough on purses but then I like to carry the same purse, day in, day out. I do have a variety of evening wear bags, probably 3 or 4 different ones, but that is usually the only time I change purses. Except for summer and winter, I will change out every spring and fall normally. This Makowsky bag though works great year round as it is a medium color snake print in tones of mostly gray and beige.

I did splurge on a "Hobo" bag in the bright tropical print of fuchsia, teal, and lime, because it was genuine eel skin. It is beautiful and will last forever, but I rarely carry it as it has to "go" lol! whenever I pull out that bag too I think of Stacey and Clinton and what they said, so I won't put it with a lime or fuchsia outfit. I will carry it when I am dressed in all neutrals and let it be my splash of color. No wonder I rarely carry it huh? but it does look good with navy or black and white.

A couple of months back I attended an auction where they had a supposedly "coach" bag with embossed logo. It looked like vinyl crap to me so I am guess it was one of those pirated bags. some woman "won" it for $50 and she was so excited that she had got a "steal."

My very favorites are LV, Gucci, Coach, and Fendi. :)

I Love handbags way more than most everything including shoes. :D

Edited by sail7seas

I adore premier designer bags and have several - but there is no way I'd take one on a cruise. High-end handbags may attract attention from thieves; even if they're counterfeit designer bags, you may be marked as someone worth robbing. A roomy, functional mid-price handbag is what I travel with. On a cruise about a year ago, a woman stumbled in the lounge with her gazpacho shooter and soaked my purse with the contents of her shooter. The bag was ruined. Since it was a pretty inexpensive purse, no problem. If it had been a Fendi or a Chloe - uh, I would have had a hard time being nice.

My favorite every day purses are Big Buddha and Fossil. For travel I love my Ameribag Healthy Back Bag. It has tons of compartments and I love that my DSLR fits nicely inside. http://www.ameribag.com/classic-healthy-back-bag/

I have taken my Ameribag hiking, biking, to Alaska, and soon to Niagara Falls. It keeps everything nice and secure.

Lisa

It figures that once I post a link to the Ameribags that I see a clearance sale on the HBB's. Just ordered two small leather healthy back bags in blush and celery. This one more reason why I had to make my guest bedroom into an accessory room. :rolleyes:

Lisa

I adore premier designer bags and have several - but there is no way I'd take one on a cruise. High-end handbags may attract attention from thieves; even if they're counterfeit designer bags, you may be marked as someone worth robbing. A roomy, functional mid-price handbag is what I travel with. On a cruise about a year ago, a woman stumbled in the lounge with her gazpacho shooter and soaked my purse with the contents of her shooter. The bag was ruined. Since it was a pretty inexpensive purse, no problem. If it had been a Fendi or a Chloe - uh, I would have had a hard time being nice.

That's a good point, I haven't thought of that... well in that case when do you use your premium designer bags? I don't own one, still debating if I would want to buy a small LV clutch when I go to St. Barts this summer. I thought that is at least somewhat cheaper (though still several times more than a coach!) and i could use it as an evening bag.

I carry my premier bags when I'm out for an evening here in Portland. I have three LV - all pre-owned and bought from reputable dealers. They weren't cheap, but I'm suspicious of the so-called designer bags offered on eBay. There are good-looking, very functional handbags available at modest prices, so it isn't necessary to spend major bucks on a purse for travel. If you just need a pretty clutch for evening and you don't expect to use it for many occasions, the inexpensive ones can be just as cute as the pricey bags.