Flying into Rome on departure day

Mary521

If we book a flight set to arrive in Rome FCO at 930am the day the cruise sets sail at 5pm, should we have time to take public transport to the port? How much faster would a taxi be? We are trying to save money, but I am also trying to prepare

Please no comments that we should get in the day before. We try to when we can, but our work schedule just isn't allowing it. We are staying 3 nights after the cruise in Rome.

Thanks everyone!:)

If we book a flight set to arrive in Rome FCO at 930am the day the cruise sets sail at 5pm, should we have time to take public transport to the port? How much faster would a taxi be? We are trying to save money, but I am also trying to prepare

Please no comments that we should get in the day before. We try to when we can, but our work schedule just isn't allowing it. We are staying 3 nights after the cruise in Rome.

Thanks everyone!:)

Yes you will. If you take the train (Leonardo Express--there are signs pointing to where they are at the airport) from the airport to Termini Station, you will have to catch the train into Civitavecchia. The Civit will be a challenge b/c you will be dealing with jet lag, and dragging the luggage up stairs depending on which platform you land on. Then you will have to walk about 4 blocks to the port entrance and wait for a port shuttle to take you to the ship. If you take a taxi to Civit, you will also have to pay for the taxi to get back to Rome. That's just how it is.

Register for the roll-call group (here on CC) for your cruise. It might be that someone is arranging a coach from central Rome to Civitavecchia, and you might be able to bag some seats on it. That's what happened for us on our first cruise out of Civitavecchia - we got the Leonardo express up to Roma Termini and then hooked up with the coach group, who were meeting outside Termini station.

There's no promise that someone will be doing this, of course, but it's always possible.

A potential alternative is to ask RCI what the cost is for a transfer. I realise RCI may be more expensive than our recent Costa cruise, but when I asked Costa, I got a £14 per person price for their bus from the airport to the ship - I almost fell of my chair at how cheap it was.

However, we were prepared to do the two train journey if required ( it's about 30 mins by train from the airport to termini and a further 80 mins from Termini to Civitavecchia) But definitely do able if you have no flight delays.

But yes, check with RCI for the cost of the transfer.

Yes you will. If you take the train (Leonardo Express--there are signs pointing to where they are at the airport) from the airport to Termini Station, you will have to catch the train into Civitavecchia. The Civit will be a challenge b/c you will be dealing with jet lag, and dragging the luggage up stairs depending on which platform you land on. Then you will have to walk about 4 blocks to the port entrance and wait for a port shuttle to take you to the ship. If you take a taxi to Civit, you will also have to pay for the taxi to get back to Rome. That's just how it is.

If you do decide to take the train, do not take the express (Leonardo Express) to Termini. It is faster and less expensive to take the regional FR1 train to Rome Trastevere station and switch there for the FR5 regional train to Civitavecchia.

Going to Termini means traveling several miles further into Rome and then backtracking back out again, which is all completely unnecessary.

You can see the route on this map of the regional train lines around Rome here: http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

Archived