Formal nights - different depending on your companion?

magandab

Do you dress differently for formal nights (assuming you do formal nights) depending on your cruise companion? What I mean is, traveling with a tuxedo or suit clad gentleman vs. traveling with mom, sister, gal pals?

I find that it feels different depending on who I'm with. I definitely feel like getting more formal, maybe a bit more revealing, with DH than with my mom or with girlfriends.

Not a life or death topic, I was just curious about how other ladies feel and what they do?

I dress the same for formal nights no matter who I'm traveling with.:D I don't do formal, long, gowns...never have. But in the past, I used to wear very dressy cocktail dresses. Now, because cruising has changed, I wear really pretty tops and bottoms (maxi skirts or pants) with dressy sandals. I always feel very good about how I look on any night on a cruise. I love fashion and love planning different outfits to wear every night. I never repeat an outfit. That's just my thing.:D

This past cruise, the first formal night I dressed up, my husband didn't and we went separate ways. I went to formal night with the girls and we had a great time.

My husband and BIL dressed casual and went to The Crab Shack, a dinner featured only on formal nights on Royal Princess. They enjoyed the food so much all of us went for the second formal night, some dressed up, some casual.

If I don't attend another formal night on a ship it will be fine by me. I've been to countless cruise ship formal dinners and I'm just over packing the formal wear. I only went this time because of the girls. I much prefer a quieter meal with better food, even paying extra for it. My dinner companions are usually friends/family and we have good times no matter what we are wearing.

I do admire some of the beautiful dresses I see on other women and I don't hold any judgement regarding whether or not people dress up or down. I think it's great we can all make choices to suit ourselves.

Edited by Happy ks
sp

I didn't really answer the question with my long winded response :rolleyes:

If cruising with my husband/sis & bil,, we have decided not to go formal again. With other friends, it depends on how they feel about it. I'll dress up if the majority wants to.

Edited by Happy ks

We haven't been on a cruise yet but I can already tell that I will dress differently depending on who I'm with. For our cruise next month (Carnival), DH and I are going on the relaxed end of formal because he hates dressing up and doesn't feel comfortable in a suit/tux. I'm going to wear a cocktail dress and DH is wearing slacks, a button down, and a tie -- no jacket. However, my friends and I are contemplating a girls getaway this fall and I can guarantee we will use this as an excuse to get as dressed up as we can! But I don't want DH to feel uncomfortable or out of place so I'm definitely holding back so our style complements each other.