Mariner 2016 transcanal questions

TWG_ag

Thinking of pulling the trigger on the 9/3/16 transcanal from SF to NY and have a couple of questions this group can probably answer.

1. What piers does Regent use for SF and NY?

2. Any idea on the pre-Night hotel used in SF?

3. The Penthouses on Mariner are the biggest in the fleet, but are the Horizon's worth the difference?

Thanks in advance for info or opinions, all of which are appreciated.

TW

We are on the Sept. 5, 2015 SF to NYC Canal trip and our loan docs arrived today showing our embarkation in SF is at Terminal Pier 35. It doesn't show any pier for NYC.

Of course this could all change in 2016.

We departed from San Francisco twice -- both times they were from piers in the same general area. Pier 35 sounds familiar but I can't be certain it was there. You will have the information in your final documents. In terms of the hotel, if the cruise isn't too far in advance, your TA or Regent should have the information. If the cruise is next year, just like the pier, it could change.

The NYC piers, which are less than 10 miles from our house, are all located on the Hudson River between 46th and 50th Streets. It doesn't make any real difference which pier one's ship is docked. (There are also piers in Brooklyn and Bayonne, but Regent doesn't use them). Ending the cruise a short taxi ride from our house was one of the reasons why we booked this cruise way back in February. It's great to be just a 15 to 20 minute trip from home!

The NYC piers are on the far west side of midtown Manhattan. They're convenient to NYC hotels, assuming you can get a cab. If a lot of ships will be in port at the end of the cruise, you may want to arrange a limo in advance, since taxis might be scarce.

It's too early to start a roll call; but we hope you'll join us on the trip. We've had a partial transit; but this will be our first full Panama Canal transit.

Marcie, that's too funny; your "loan docs" arrived! With all the threads about Regent pricing, that just fits right in, doesn't it?

Oops, though it does kind of fit Pam. I think it's time for me to fully retire from my previous life.

I appreciate the feedback and of course understand a lot can change in a year as Regent is usually flexible with docks, filling in where there is space. JoanandJoe, I hope the ship is at the docks over by the Intrepid. I have left from there before and it is real handy to Penn Station as we will likely take the train to DC to get home. Will be doing our own air to SFO so we can go a a couple of days early and have plenty of hotel points to get a couple of nights free, just wanted to make sure departure is from somewhere on the Embarcadero. Also appreciate the feedback on the Horizon suite. Like I said we have done the Penthouse on Mariner which are bigger than the standard suites, but the idea of the large deck going through the canal where you can see both sides of the ship as you pass by seems like the thing to do. Will probably lock this thing done this weekend, and will watch for the trip blog when someone starts it. Thanks again, I always appreciate the positive feedback you get here.

JoanandJoe, I hope the ship is at the docks over by the Intrepid. I have left from there before and it is real handy to Penn Station as we will likely take the train to DC to get home. Will be doing our own air to SFO so we can go a a couple of days early and have plenty of hotel points to get a couple of nights free, just wanted to make sure departure is from somewhere on the Embarcadero. ..... Will probably lock this thing done this weekend, and will watch for the trip blog when someone starts it.

Yes, "near the Intrepid" is a good way to describe the NYC docks, where the ship will almost certainly be docked. I've never heard of Regent using the Brooklyn docks, and no one other than RCCL and Celebrity uses the Bayonne (Cape Liberty) docks.

We also plan on doing our own air to SF, and arriving several days early, as well. We'll probably have to pay for our hotel, since we've used up our Hilton points for our next cruise and our Marriott points for our last cruise. Maybe we'll have enough points with IHG (Holiday Inn, etc.)

If you book the cruise, please either start the roll call, or ask us to start the roll call. J & J

Our one regent cruise out of NYC, we were right by the intrepid. I would have loved to have visited, but my husband had business meetings in NYC that day. So by the time we arrived, we just had time to go onboard the regent navigator straight away. Don't miss the night time sail away. You go right by the Statue of Liberty.

Don't miss the night time sail away. You go right by the Statue of Liberty.

I love seeing the Lady when I cruise in or out of New York, and have done it many times. This one it will be tough to see her, since the cruise ends in NYC, and we'll probably pass the Statue of Liberty by 6 am, if not earlier. Joe

Yes, booked this week. Will do our own air to SF as right now I can get First Class cheaper than they are offering. This way we will have no luggage issue and can go two days early without deviation fees. I have plenty of points to get the Grand Hyatt downtown, where I really like the bar and view on the top floor. Since the ship arrives in midtown NY, we will take the Amtrak back to Washington and Penn Station is a ten minute cab ride from the pier. Ended up taking a Penthouse C and got one with a tub so the DW can soak if she wants. Looking forward to doing the canal again, this time Pacific to Atlantic and also seeing the new construction.

TW

• 2 weeks later...