Splendor to Canada Tomorrow-Any guesses

Nalagh

Tomorrow is my first Carnival cruise ever-NYC to ST. Johns NB (in port Saturday the 5th). I am very excited even though I think it will end up being a 4 day cruise to nowhere.

I have sailed in serious storms, so I know what to expect. I am just curious what the experienced CCL cruisers think the line will do.

Any guesses?

Cherie

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145508.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Edited by Nalagh

A couple of years ago, some named storm was coming through along that same tract. They went north anyway. My guess is you're going where you're supposed to go. If you're supposed to be at sea all day Friday, you may just end up going a bit faster.

But bring some sea sickness meds as a precaution. The seas might be choppy come Saturday afternoon when you go back to sea.

Bon voyage!

You should have no trouble getting out of NYC tomorrow. "IF" the storm follows the track they are proposing, it won't be in NYC area until Friday. Yes, you may get some rough weather but the ships have been near storms before. They get plenty in the Caribbean in the late summer and fall.

A couple of years ago, some named storm was coming through along that same tract. They went north anyway. My guess is you're going where you're supposed to go. If you're supposed to be at sea all day Friday, you may just end up going a bit faster.

But bring some sea sickness meds as a precaution. The seas might be choppy come Saturday afternoon when you go back to sea.

Bon voyage!

You should have no trouble getting out of NYC tomorrow. "IF" the storm follows the track they are proposing, it won't be in NYC area until Friday. Yes, you may get some rough weather but the ships have been near storms before. They get plenty in the Caribbean in the late summer and fall.

I am not worried in anyway, I have many cruises under my belt. I was curious if you guys thought our port stop would turn into a cruise to nowhere. Thanks for your input!

Cherie - We were on the 2010 4-day Canada cruise that experienced Hurricane Earl (probably the one TPFKAH referenced). The storm was predicted to roll up the East Coast and reach the Bay of Fundy - about the same time we were scheduled to reach the Bay of Fundy.:eek: We were convinced we'd have the 4-day CTN, but when we boarded we were handed a memo advising that the ship's officers were watching the storm closely and would make itinerary changes if needed - but as of boarding time were not changing. The first sea day (Friday), the Captain reported that the plan was to sail faster than normal, arrive in Saint John early (11:00 p.m.), stay in port through the storm, and depart later than usual (8:00 p.m.) We arrived in Saint John and they had two seagoing tugs moored on our port side to keep us from leaving the dock if the lines parted in the wind. By the time we woke, we had torrential rain and wind. Most excursions were canceled. Most people stayed on board, and the entertainment staff added activities to the schedule. I was sorry a lot of people missed some good food and entertainment in Saint John - it's a really friendly city with some nice restaurants. BTW, if you're looking for places to eat I can recommend Steamer's, across the street from the pier (really good lobster bisque); Grannan's, at Market Square (love their clams and chips); and Big Tide Brewing Company, with some interesting ales and beers on tap.

In any event, right now it looks like Arthur will turn out to sea, although you may have a rainy sailaway from NYC. :(

If you'd like to see my full 2010 review, it's at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=72295. Hope you have a fun cruise!

Have a great cruise but make sure that ship is not late returning. I will be boarding her on Monday.

Thank you, and I will do my best to do my part to get her back on time! Enjoy your cruise!

Cherie - We were on the 2010 4-day Canada cruise that experienced Hurricane Earl (probably the one TPFKAH referenced). The storm was predicted to roll up the East Coast and reach the Bay of Fundy - about the same time we were scheduled to reach the Bay of Fundy.:eek: We were convinced we'd have the 4-day CTN, but when we boarded we were handed a memo advising that the ship's officers were watching the storm closely and would make itinerary changes if needed - but as of boarding time were not changing. The first sea day (Friday), the Captain reported that the plan was to sail faster than normal, arrive in Saint John early (11:00 p.m.), stay in port through the storm, and depart later than usual (8:00 p.m.) We arrived in Saint John and they had two seagoing tugs moored on our port side to keep us from leaving the dock if the lines parted in the wind. By the time we woke, we had torrential rain and wind. Most excursions were canceled. Most people stayed on board, and the entertainment staff added activities to the schedule. I was sorry a lot of people missed some good food and entertainment in Saint John - it's a really friendly city with some nice restaurants. BTW, if you're looking for places to eat I can recommend Steamer's, across the street from the pier (really good lobster bisque); Grannan's, at Market Square (love their clams and chips); and Big Tide Brewing Company, with some interesting ales and beers on tap.

In any event, right now it looks like Arthur will turn out to sea, although you may have a rainy sailaway from NYC. :(

If you'd like to see my full 2010 review, it's at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=72295. Hope you have a fun cruise!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your review. The weather looks very bad on Saturday, and I hope we skip it if it is 60 F, windy and pouring . Nevertheless, any day on vacation is one I don't have to cook or clean!

Edited by Nalagh

Hi!

This will also be my very first Carnival cruise. I have sailed RC and NCL a few times.

I have been stressing over Arthur, but also doing a bit of research. What I have concluded is....

In most cases, cruise lines will rarely cancel cruises; even in cases of hurricanes. Many cruises are down south this week, and have not canceled. Instead, they will alter the itinerary, speed up, or head elsewhere for the duration of the trip!

In *our* case, we are heading up north, and will most likely avoid the hurricane categories altogether. Our good friend, Arthur, appears to be inflicting his wrath in the Carolina's and southern regions of the Atlantic. According to the weather channel, it will be warm and sunny on Saturday and Sunday.

I hope we have a wonderful trip!!

One thought I should have added - even with the hurricane and sailing faster, the seas really were not that rough and the motion on the ship wasn't bad at all. They never set out the little white paper bags by the elevators, as they did on two other storm-impacted cruises we've taken.

Looks like the storm will be over Nova Scotia by 2am Sunday, so a delayed sailed might in fact happen. But they also say a ship is safer at sea than in port. The tricky part is if they close the port and the ship can't sail. That happened to a ship in NY when Floyd passed over.

In any case, you're boarding today, so have a great cruise! Let us know how you make out.

Hi!

This will also be my very first Carnival cruise. I have sailed RC and NCL a few times.

I have been stressing over Arthur, but also doing a bit of research. What I have concluded is....

In most cases, cruise lines will rarely cancel cruises; even in cases of hurricanes. Many cruises are down south this week, and have not canceled. Instead, they will alter the itinerary, speed up, or head elsewhere for the duration of the trip!

In *our* case, we are heading up north, and will most likely avoid the hurricane categories altogether. Our good friend, Arthur, appears to be inflicting his wrath in the Carolina's and southern regions of the Atlantic. According to the weather channel, it will be warm and sunny on Saturday and Sunday.

I hope we have a wonderful trip!!

Yes they are rare, but they do happen, especially in areas where it's difficult to shuffle passengers around, like in the northeast. Sandy, which obviously was one in a million, caused three Carnival cruises to be cancelled. But the newspapers had a field day about 10 years ago, when a Bermuda cruise was saddening altered to Halifax due to a northern bearing easterly hurricane named something.

This one, at best, might just come back late in the day, or if lucky, a day late. This will not cause joy for those planning to board her on Monday.

Think positive. We've all survived worse.

Edited by TPFKAH

Here's the latest chart:

Batten down the hatches!:D

As to this specific cruise from NY on Thursday for 4 nights, you might not feel much of it except when on the way back.

145625W5_NL_sm.gif

Edited by loubetti

According to Mr. Heald, it looks like you're going to Bermuda. Bon voyage!

I just heard the same thing. I would be happy about the change, but I can understand if not everyone is...that is quite different than Canada. However, I would still have a great time because I would be on a cruise and that is what really matters!! :D Have a great time everyone!

I just heard the same thing. I would be happy about the change, but I can understand if not everyone is...that is quite different than Canada. However, I would still have a great time because I would be on a cruise and that is what really matters!! :D Have a great time everyone!

Personally, I would be ecstatic about the change. When you book a cruise from June to about October, you can't be too set on any particular ports of call as these things do happen occasionally.

quoted from John Heald facebook post:

"The only Carnival ship this is affecting at the moment is the Carnival Splendor he port call at Saint John, NB,Canada has been substituted by a at Bermuda, bringing the vessel alongside Heritage Wharf. Here is the new itinerary.

07/03/2014 Thu Carnival Splendor New York, NY 8:00:00 16:00:00

07/04/2014 Fri Carnival Splendor "Fun Day" at Sea

07/05/2014 Sat Carnival Splendor Heritage WHARF, BERMUDA 8:00:00 18:00:00

07/06/2014 Sun Carnival Splendor "Fun Day" at Sea

07/07/2014 Mon Carnival Splendor New York, NY 8:00:00 16:00:00

Guest will receive a letter when they board plus announcements from the Captain and Cruise Director and I am sure will be very happy with this change."

quoted from John Heald facebook post:

"The only Carnival ship this is affecting at the moment is the Carnival Splendor he port call at Saint John, NB,Canada has been substituted by a at Bermuda, bringing the vessel alongside Heritage Wharf. Here is the new itinerary.

07/03/2014 Thu Carnival Splendor New York, NY 8:00:00 16:00:00

07/04/2014 Fri Carnival Splendor "Fun Day" at Sea

07/05/2014 Sat Carnival Splendor Heritage WHARF, BERMUDA 8:00:00 18:00:00

07/06/2014 Sun Carnival Splendor "Fun Day" at Sea

07/07/2014 Mon Carnival Splendor New York, NY 8:00:00 16:00:00

Guest will receive a letter when they board plus announcements from the Captain and Cruise Director and I am sure will be very happy with this change."

Why would anyone complain but there will probably be a few that will. These are the chances you take cruising, Mother Nature is always in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not that I have to deal with this issue currently (I have a Sept 2014 Canada cruise on the Splendor), but what about all of the excursions booked for St John? I know that Carnival will refund their excursions, but what about the ones booked privately?

Not that I have to deal with this issue currently (I have a Sept 2014 Canada cruise on the Splendor), but what about all of the excursions booked for St John? I know that Carnival will refund their excursions, but what about the ones booked privately?

If they booked with a reputable operator and prepaid or paid a deposit, they should get a full refund.

Its always best to ask that question when booking.