Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old December 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Coral Princess - Panama Canal

Went to the dr. today, and was told that one of the nurses who was on the Coral Princess reported back to the office that the Coral Princess was unable to get into the Panama Canal due to high water. Does anyone know anymore about this?

Elite on Princess
3 Stars on HAL
Cunad

Old December 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes they had some major flooding in that area. http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=11836

Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean 1/14
Holland America Zuiderdam Panama Canal 2/13
Norwegian Star 3/12 Western Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 14 day Southern Caribbean Grand Adventure 12/11
Golden Princess Alaska 6/11
Island Princess Panama Canal 1/11
NCL Spirit 1/10
NCL MS Starward 2/1979
Holland American 2/1977 cant remember what ships name was I was only 14

Old December 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

DS just got off the Coral yesterday (on for 5 months), and although they always got into the Panama Canal, on this last cruise, they were unable to dock in Colon, which is just outside the Canal, due to the weather conditions (wind, rain, etc.)

Old December 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Panama Canal 12/5/10

I also just got off the CP. we were scheduled to take the train trip to the Pacific Ocean, but that was canceled. The original plan was to tender us to the Yacht Club from Gatun Lake, then by bus to Colon to get on the train.
The problem was because of flooding and landslides, that was impossible. We also did not dock at Colon (no loss) because of the weather.
On a lighter note, my DW was on our balcony, and the man above us complained that we did not go through the canal. My DW asked if he slept through it, and he said , "All we did was sail around a big lake".

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGOCH View Post
I also just got off the CP. we were scheduled to take the train trip to the Pacific Ocean, but that was canceled. The original plan was to tender us to the Yacht Club from Gatun Lake, then by bus to Colon to get on the train.
The problem was because of flooding and landslides, that was impossible. We also did not dock at Colon (no loss) because of the weather.
On a lighter note, my DW was on our balcony, and the man above us complained that we did not go through the canal. My DW asked if he slept through it, and he said , "All we did was sail around a big lake".
Another poster put up video of his Panama Canal excursion by boat a few days ago. As the small excursion boat was going thru the canal, they commented on how high the water was. Last week the new bridge (10 yrs old) that crosses the canal had a partial collapse due to land slide. I don't know if it's open or not.
I leave on the Island in 2 weeks and wondering if we will even get in the canal as they predict more massive rains and flooding. I am also signed up to do the boat excursion to the Pacific.
I've been thru many times before so I will happy just to get on the ship, sign up for chef's table, and veg for 10 days.

Old December 16th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hope you get to do the boat tour. We did that tour on the Coral Princess (Nov. 25-Dec. 5 voyage) and it was terrific. Tour lasts around 8 hours.

Monarch of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), November, 2001
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexican Riviera), November, 2000
Regency Sun (Alaska), July 1994
Carnival Jubilee (Western Caribbean), December 1986
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean), October 1981

Old December 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshefter View Post
Hope you get to do the boat tour. We did that tour on the Coral Princess (Nov. 25-Dec. 5 voyage) and it was terrific. Tour lasts around 8 hours.
Thanks so much! I've done it before and one of my favorite Princess excursions!!

Old December 18th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on that cruise! You had to get up at 5:30 AM to see the entrance into the canal. The Coral floated around Lake Gatun for several hours, and then went back through the locks in the PM. It was amazing, and I didn't mind missing my expensive excursion.
For some reason, this voyage was full of whining, complaining passengers. I felt sorry for the staff. It was hard not to laugh at some of the complaints. "Harry, why are we walking here? It's raining!" (Overheard during the rain forest hike.)
"There are no seats left! We can't sit together!" (Passengers who boarded the excursion bus 5 minutes late, delaying us all.)
"How long are we going to be on this thing? I gotta pee!" (From a gondola on a 2 hour rain forest tree tops ride.)
"Why don't all the elevators go to all the floors? This doesn't make any sense. Who designed this?" (Passenger standing at the glass elevator in the atrium.)
On the bright side, Princess has really toned down the sales pitches and junk sales in the atrium. You no longer have to dodge the chains-by-the-inch tables and the Swarovski tables. They are still there, just not as prominent, and not a lot of paper junk in the drop slot by your cabin door.
This is our 10th cruise with Princess, so I can see the difference. Everything else went smoothly. We had a super excursion to the Museums in Cartegena! Our guide, Jose Villa, was very knowledgeable and so proud of his country's history. Princess helped us make lemonade from the lemons of the Panama flood, and it was a great cruise!
Past cruises: Sun Princess-Alaska 2001, Royal Princess-British Isles 2002, Regal Princess-New Zealand/Australia 2002, Coral Princess-Alaska 2003, Grand Princess-W. Caribbean 2003, Uniworld River Duchess-Amsterdam to Budapest 2004, Sun Princess-E. Caribbean 2004, Grand Princess-Greek Isles 2005, Dawn Princess-Mexican Riviera 2006, Golden Princess-Hawaii 2010, Panama Canal-Coral Princess 2010, HAL Westerdam-southern/eastern Caribbean 2011, Sea Princess-Alaska 2012, Emerald Princess-Baltic 2012, HAL Noordam-Trans-Atlantic Portugal & Spain 2013, HAL Veendam - Hawaii 2014.

Old December 18th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Panama canal

Dear Tina,
Thank you for a very funny post. After I read it to my wife, she said, "some people should never leave their house". I remember years ago, being on a boat shuttle from our ship to Piazza San Marco in Venice, someone asked me to move so the three of them could sit together on a 15 minute boat ride.

Old December 18th, 2010, 10:44 PM
30,000+ Club

Tina, your comments reminded me of some whining I overheard on my Crown trans-Atlantic cruise last September. We'd missed Belfast and due to high winds and tricky currents entering Reykavik harbor, we missed that port too. Right after the Captain announced we were heading directly to Greenland, someone said, "I don't understand why they don't just go to another port for the day. After all, they do that in the Caribbean!" I wanted to say, "Er... Lady. Do you even know where we are?"

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15