Train to Charleston

amcjeep4life

Looks like we'll be taking the train into Charleston in April. Our train gets in at the buttcrack of dawn, and is about 10 miles from the cruiseport. A taxi to go that distance is going to be CRAZY. Any one with suggestions on how to get ther cheaper, or things to do to kill some time? There will be 3 of us, including a sleepy 5 and 11 year old. Thanks in advance!

I doubt there is any better way than a taxi. But I would be nervous arriving by train the day of embarkation.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend taking Amtrak train #67 late Thursday night, and transferring to the Palmetto In Washington Fri. morning.

The Palmetto gets to Charleston at 7:15pm. Then you'll have a full nights sleep in a hotel prior to embarkation.

The upside is extra time in case of train delays, the downside is having to pay for a hotel room.

Aloha,

John

Based on the information on this Charleston taxi company's web page the fare from the Amtrak Station to the port doesn't appear to be "CRAZY" (to quote you). Between Downtown and Amtrak the fare is estimated at $16, so how much more could it be to the cruise terminal, if the terminal is 10 miles from the Amtrak station?

http://www.yellowcabofcharleston.com/Yellow_Cab_of_Charleston/Rates.html

Edited by njhorseman

Based on the information on this Charleston taxi company's web page the fare from the Amtrak Station to the port doesn't appear to be "CRAZY" (to quote you). Between Downtown and Amtrak the fare is estimated at $16, so how much more could it be to the cruise terminal, if the terminal is 10 miles from the Amtrak station?

http://www.yellowcabofcharleston.com/Yellow_Cab_of_Charleston/Rates.html

I had investigated this earlier this morning, but found a different cab company which had a pick-up and mileage charge per person, which came to around $30 plus bag charges and tip. Interesting that there are different rates in the same city.

I had investigated this earlier this morning, but found a different cab company which had a pick-up and mileage charge per person, which came to around $30 plus bag charges and tip. Interesting that there are different rates in the same city.

Even at the rates you've quoted, I still wouldn't describe the fare as "CRAZY". A NY City taxi fare for 10 miles would be about $30 plus tip, and NY taxi fares are what I would call moderate...neither unbelievably cheap nor outrageously expensive.

"CRAZY" is the approximately $50 fare (plus tolls and tip) for a taxi from EWR to Cape Liberty...also about a 10 mile trip.

Edited by njhorseman

Even at the rates you've quoted, I still wouldn't describe the fare as "CRAZY". A NY City taxi fare for 10 miles would be about $30 plus tip, and NY taxi fares are what I would call moderate...neither unbelievably cheap nor outrageously expensive.

"CRAZY" is the approximately $50 fare (plus tolls and tip) for a taxi from EWR to Cape Liberty...also about a 10 mile trip.

I wouldn't think that $30 would be crazy in NYC or even Boston, but in Charleston, its high. I just find it weird that one cab has a flat fee for the Amtrak station, and the other doesn't, and I've never herd of mileage being per person.

I wouldn't think that $30 would be crazy in NYC or even Boston, but in Charleston, its high. I just find it weird that one cab has a flat fee for the Amtrak station, and the other doesn't, and I've never herd of mileage being per person.

The Amtrak station is located in the City of North Charleston. The cruise port is located in the City of Charleston. There is no coordinated municipality taxi fares. There is a City of Charleston taxi ordinance that sets the rates and metering. So if you begin in downtown Charleston, the rates are regulated. Start outside the city of Charleston and they're not.

OP: My DW and I use a guy who's the president of the Airport Limo/taxi association for his personal service. Each member is an independent operator. I was out of town and he picked up my DW at 5:30am at our house for her trip. She highly recommends him. If you ask, I'll supply his contact info. His name is Rubin Nelson.

The Amtrak station is located in the City of North Charleston. The cruise port is located in the City of Charleston. There is no coordinated municipality taxi fares. There is a City of Charleston taxi ordinance that sets the rates and metering. So if you begin in downtown Charleston, the rates are regulated. Start outside the city of Charleston and they're not.

OP: My DW and I use a guy who's the president of the Airport Limo/taxi association for his personal service. Each member is an independent operator. I was out of town and he picked up my DW at 5:30am at our house for her trip. She highly recommends him. If you ask, I'll supply his contact info. His name is Rubin Nelson.

I swear I didn't touch your cheese, but I'd love to have the contact info for this person. Thanks.

I swear I didn't touch your cheese, but I'd love to have the contact info for this person. Thanks.

rubinnelson yahoo.com I'd prefer you ask for his phone in the email rather than me posting it here. I receive no compensation from him. Just feel comfortable recommending him. He is licensed by the airport authority here.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks again Chucktown. My email is my user name here at gmail. I know the mods get testy when you try and post a whole e-mail address.

Now can you tell me which hotels are closest to the cruiseport? FL seems to have a whole lot more info readily avaialble to poor schlubs like me with no clue about the area. :D

Thanks again Chucktown. My email is my user name here at gmail. I know the mods get testy when you try and post a whole e-mail address.

Now can you tell me which hotels are closest to the cruiseport? FL seems to have a whole lot more info readily avaialble to poor schlubs like me with no clue about the area. :D

There is Harborview Inn, Vendue Inn, Anchorage Inn, Market Pavillion, French Quarter Inn, Andrew Pinckney Inn, Ansonborough Inn (actually pretty close to where you enter the gate for luggage drop off)... Do you want more close by? These are all within walking distance to the cruise terminal. How much money you willing to pony up to stay in the heart of downtown?

If price is a factor, I'd recommend looking at the hotels on the other side of the peninsula close to the Ashley River. Just over the bridge in West Ashley or close to the Ravenel Bridge Mt. Pleasant. Check the hotel web sites to make sure they have free transportation to the port.