Bringing Wine Onboard

heart13

We are about to leave on our first Grand Princess cruise and are considering carrying a couple bottles of wine onboard. For those of you that have done so in the past, do you pack it in your lugage (and risk breakage) or carry it onboard in your carry-on bags? We're driving down to Port Everglades from Gainesville, FL, so getting it to the port is a non-isssue.

We are about to leave on our first Grand Princess cruise and are considering carrying a couple bottles of wine onboard. For those of you that have done so in the past, do you pack it in your lugage (and risk breakage) or carry it onboard in your carry-on bags? We're driving down to Port Everglades from Gainesville, FL, so getting it to the port is a non-isssue.

I use a wine bottle protector which uses wet suit type of material for either placing wine in my checked or carryon bags and have never had a problem. When putting it in my checked bag I'll either put it in an old shoe box or a wine box like those Princess uses when purchasing alcohol to take home & wrap paper or other packing material around it.

I wrap my bottle(s) of wine in a pair of jeans or my beach towel, then place that in the middle of my rolling duffle. I've never had a problem with flying with my wine wrapped up like that. Since you are driving to your departure port, you have the option of putting your wine in anything you feel comfortable with.

I have brought many bottles of wine on our cruises. I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap and then put each bottle in a giant zip lock which is a 2.5 gallon size just in case. Then the bottles go in the middle of my suitcase. With all the clothes in there, nothing will move. So after packing this way at least 2 dozen bottles on a bunch of different cruises including ones that we took a very long flight to, not one broken bottle. We once bought a bottle of apple brandy in France and put it in our carry-on, but it was not wrapped well. We dropped the bag and the bottle broke. But if you wrap each bottle well and it is tight in the suitcase, then you will not have any problems

I was on the Emerald last month for a 10 day cruise. I had a box of wine (12 bottles) in a used wine shipping box. Taped the box, put the luggage tag on it, gave it to the baggage handlers and it appeared in my cabin in excellent condition.

Glad to see this subject will live into perpetuity! We'll be taking a T/A this spring, our 23rd cruise, and plan to take 2 cases. We've brought wine on 21 of 22 prior sailings and have never, ever had a problem. When we sail from FLL, we just use the standard wine shipping boxes, and when we sail from other ports where we are uncertain about foreign customs, we pack 'em in the suitcases, or more recently, a small hard sided rolling bag. When we pack 'em in the suitcases, we start by wrapping them in a (clean!) disposable diaper, then double bag with the big zip locks mentioned by another poster, above. The diaper has some advantage over the bubble wrap as it's absorbable, but, not as shock absorbent. Either way, double bagged. Never had a broke bottle with hundreds shipped. What could be better than a great meal + say, a bottle of Phelps Insignia, with someone else doing the dishes? s

Why bring on a case and chance it be taken from you - bring on a bottle of wine per person per port, or do you plan to consume the entire case in one night??

Princess won't take it from you......At least I've never heard of them ever doing so with wine.

You can put a tag on the case and it will be delivered without a problem. Don't forget a corkscrew!

Princess won't take it from you......At least I've never heard of them ever doing so with wine.

You can put a tag on the case and it will be delivered without a problem. Don't forget a corkscrew!

Somebody did report that she was only allowed 1 bottle pp a month or so ago. I believe that it was in San Juan, and it was a ship crew member who confiscated her extra bottles. I think she got them back at the end of the cruise. That's the only incident I recall reading about.

I have heard several conflicting stories about bringing a case of wine on board.

Which is the best way - checking it with a luggage tag on the box with your luggage

or carry the wine on board in a carry on?

Tal

SPI, Texas

Just back from 15 days on the Coral Princess. In Ft Lauderdale we checked 2 cases of wine, a 12 pack of beer, and 12 pack of water in with the porters and everything was delivered to the cabin (this was for 4 of us). No problem whatsoever.

We had Total Wine box up our 2 cases of wine and 12 pack of beer in cardboard boxes and tape them up. Then they taped our luggage tags to the boxes and we handed them off to the porters at the Ft Lauderdale pier. They were delivered shortly to our cabin and we didn't have to bother trying to cart them on board by ourselves.

Just back from 15 days on the Coral Princess. In Ft Lauderdale we checked 2 cases of wine, a 12 pack of beer, and 12 pack of water in with the porters and everything was delivered to the cabin (this was for 4 of us). No problem whatsoever.

How did you check the wine, beer & water? I'm a little confused as I've never done that. Did you just put a luggage tag right on the cases or did you pack them in something so you couldn't tell what they were?

How did you check the wine, beer & water? I'm a little confused as I've never done that. Did you just put a luggage tag right on the cases or did you pack them in something so you couldn't tell what they were?

Yes, people just put a luggage tag on the case of wine

Well, the more posts we have like this, the more likely Princess is going to be to crack down! Multiple cases of wine + beer + hard liquor... do you ever leave your room????? Wake up, people! Remember when the coffee card let you have unlimited brewed coffee until all your punches were punched -- GONE!! You are going to ruin it for those of us that are a bit more conservative and not too cheap to buy our alcohol from Princess when we're out and about on the ship!!!!!!! :mad:

Archived