TEEN PASSPORT or ADULT SODA PACKAGE?

MartiniMama

According to the NCL website, the Adult Soda Package for a 5 night cruise is

$20.75 but the teen passport which includes 20 drinks/frat party is $34.50. My 13 and 14 year olds are not interested in the frat party but will definitely want to drink sodas. Can I just buy them the refillable "Adult" soda cups?

The teen passport drinks are definitely smoothies. It is a book of 20 coupons, that can be used by anyone. You can also use them for the "virgin" frozen cocktails. The banana smoothies are really good.

If your kids like the smoothie type drinks, you could buy one passport program and have them split the drinks, as well as getting them a soda card.

Make sure when you purchase your drink card exactly what the terms are. Last year on the Dawn, I bought an adult soda card, where I got a thermos cup and sticker for the back of my room key. I could just show the sticker to any waiter and get a soda (I did not need the cup). My sister bought the children's soda program for her son. He got just a plastic cup, which she found out he had to carry everywhere with him, as it was the only proof that he had bought a children's soda "card". Kind of a pain in the neck, and, as one might expect, the cup had to be washed several times a day. Eventually, he accidentally left it on a table in the buffet, and could not get any more free sodas.

By the way, if you dont use up all your passport coupons on your cruise, you can save them for your next NCL cruise because they never expire. Same goes for your coka cola thermos, bring it again on your next cruise and save on soda.

Thanks for the replies....I remember on our Carnival cruise last year, my boys each got a soda card that they carried around with them along with the room key. It was much easier than carrying around a mug (like at the Disney World Hotels). Not really looking forward to carrying around a cup for my 4 year old. Do they have juice and milk available all the time like on the carnival ships? Does anyone know what beverages are complimentary? (He doesn't need soda anyway.)

Thanks!!

One word about the refillable coke cups. We had been on the Sea in January, and so my DH had one from that trip. We didn't bother to bring it on the Sun, but just purchased another card. On the Sun, they were very strict about checking the sticker on your card (which was a different one than the one on the Sea). I'm not so sure you could have used a coke mug without the sticker, at least on the Sun.

By the way, the sticker is just applied to you room card, so if you have kids, they only have to worry about the one card. I've read suggestions for getting them punched and letting them wear them around their necks, which for younger kids would probably be a good idea.

I don't remember what complimentary drinks were always available. I remember, on the Sea, that the juice machines only worked during breakfast. The rest of the time the spouts were removed. I don't remember about milk for sure, but I think it was available. By the way, I found the orange juice on the Sun to be one of the biggest disappointments from the food. It was very weak and watered down.

I know it was available at breakfast, but I have no idea about the rest of the day. With my teenagers, they were more interested in soda and smoothies, and so they weren't looking for juice during the middle of the day.

Maybe someone with little kids will know more. Which ship are you on? I know our room on the Sea didn't have a refridgerator, but the Sun did. Depending on your ship, I would probably bring a few juice boxes if that is what he's used to. Of course, maybe your child doesn't even care if the juice is chilled. I don't think mine cared when they were little!

We are sailing on the NCL Spirit, leaving on Halloween for a 5 night cruise of the Carribbean. We have a balcony cabin, category BD. Not sure if it has a refrigerator but it won't matter to him....he drinks it room temp all the time!

So glad to hear about the wrist band....that sounds so easy! My son loves chocolate milk ... he will be very happy! Did your kids enjoy the kid's pool? It looks like a lot of fun (he's a big Peter Pan fan, so I know he'll love the pirate ship/cannons!) My 2 older boys, 13 & 14 love video games. How is the arcade on board and the teen group activities?

My kids did not go in the kids pool It was too cold (50's / 60's) for most of our trip & the water was not heated. My cousin's kid braved the weather & did swim in there a few days - they looked like they had fun.

My 11 year old & 13 year old liked the arcade. It was pretty big. I just asked my 11 year what he thought if it – his words “it was awesome”. They teen group also had some playstations they could use periodically. My 13 year old absolutely loved the teen group. He did every activity he could with them. The last day of our cruise, I did not see him all day - he was hanging around with the teens. He got their IM screen names & now has friends he talks to all over the country. He said their group at the end had about 20 teens -they kept adding more. The counselors told them that this was the best group so far - so I don't know if it was unusually for these teens to bond together like that or not.

My kids did not go in the kids pool It was too cold (50's / 60's) for most of our trip & the water was not heated. My cousin's kid braved the weather & did swim in there a few days - they looked like they had fun.

My 11 year old & 13 year old liked the arcade. It was pretty big. I just asked my 11 year what he thought if it – his words “it was awesome”. They teen group also had some playstations they could use periodically. My 13 year old absolutely loved the teen group. He did every activity he could with them. The last day of our cruise, I did not see him all day - he was hanging around with the teens. He got their IM screen names & now has friends he talks to all over the country. He said their group at the end had about 20 teens -they kept adding more. The counselors told them that this was the best group so far - so I don't know if it was unusually for these teens to bond together like that or not.

Also -the wrist band is for 12 & under. 13+ you have to buy the adult soda card. The teen package with the smoothies is good too - they are seperate coupons that anyone could use. Therefore, just buy one & share (you could always buy another if they run out.)

My kids were both over the age of the teen program, and we had no problem purchasing the smoothie books for them. I don't think there should be an issue.

I agree with you, the smoothies are delicious :rolleyes:

I really don't think they will question it at all. As previously stated, my kids were just over the age limit, and they got them without any problems. I don't know why just under would make a difference.

Congratulations on his not drinking carbonated stuff. I wish I could convince my family (including myself). It would sure save lots of $$ in addition to being better for our health.

I really don't think they will question it at all. As previously stated, my kids were just over the age limit, and they got them without any problems. I don't know why just under would make a difference.

Congratulations on his not drinking carbonated stuff. I wish I could convince my family (including myself). It would sure save lots of $$ in addition to being better for our health.

Actually his beverage of choice is water. The smoothie would probably be his dessert - he usually has a drinkable yogurt for dessert at home. Now if I could only get DH to do the same.

Last year while investigating this for our Wind cruise we were told you had to have a teen to purchase one so we didn't get one. This year for our Sea cruise our 17 year old went with us so we did get one. Friends with us who did not have a teen asked if they could get one and I told them to just go up to purchase one and see what was said. The guy never even questioned it so the other 2 couples with us also purchased one. The bartenders never said a thing when any of us older than teens presented one for use so I guess this means that anyone can buy and use them.

I wish I'd known about these when we were on our first cruise on the Sea. We don't drink alcohol, but did buy the "virgin" kind of cocktails. They were sure more expensive than the price of the coupons!!

Archived