Charleston Question

luvscruising2007

Good Morning!

For you Charleston experts I have a question. We will be stopping there on our next cruise. We would like to see Fort Sumter. The tours offered by the National Park service are so much less than the tour offered by the cruise line. How far of a walk is it to the ferry from the port. Is it walking distance. DH has to walk with a cane so any real distance can be a problem. We would like to see Fort Sumter and if time allows we would enjoy seeing the Yorktown as well.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

If those are the two things you want to do then I would suggest taking the water taxi across the bay to Patriots Point (where the Yorktown is) and go to Ft Sumter form there. There are Ft Sumter cruises form both downtown and Patriots Point. (just do your research as there are only 2 places to actually get to the fort and the harbor cruises sometimes say Ft Sumter bout only take you around it and don't stop there).

You can google charleston water taxi and get the link and it will take you from downtown across the harbor and you can do what you want to do. The downtown area (where the ship docks) is not very big so a short taxi ride would be the most you would need (You might be able to even walk as the water taxi makes two stops downtown.). You buy your Ft Sumter tour ticket online ahead of time as well (while at the same location as the Yorktown, it is a different company. just google ft sumter tours.) it all really easy and reasonably close.

If those are the two things you want to do then I would suggest taking the water taxi across the bay to Patriots Point (where the Yorktown is) and go to Ft Sumter form there. There are Ft Sumter cruises form both downtown and Patriots Point. (just do your research as there are only 2 places to actually get to the fort and the harbor cruises sometimes say Ft Sumter bout only take you around it and don't stop there).

You can google charleston water taxi and get the link and it will take you from downtown across the harbor and you can do what you want to do. The downtown area (where the ship docks) is not very big so a short taxi ride would be the most you would need (You might be able to even walk as the water taxi makes two stops downtown.). You buy your Ft Sumter tour ticket online ahead of time as well (while at the same location as the Yorktown, it is a different company. just google ft sumter tours.) it all really easy and reasonably close.

Thanks for the info. I had already found the ft sumter website and would really like to do both. I am just concerned about the walk to the boats. I could walk, no problem. The exercise would be good. Just think DH might have issues. Do you know the distance from where the ship docks to a ferry stop. Thanks.

The downtown area (where the ship docks) is not very big so a short taxi ride would be the most you would need (You might be able to even walk as the water taxi makes two stops downtown.).

I may be mistaken, but I think the water taxi departs from the Aquarium, which "Maps" says is about .8 miles from the cruise port. Instead of a cab there though, I'd take Uber. Charleston isn't a city like New York where cabs are just driving along the street downtown waiting to be hailed from the street, so you'd have to look up a cab company and call them on the phone. Much easier to request Uber and Uber is plentiful around the area.

Thanks for the info. I had already found the ft sumter website and would really like to do both. I am just concerned about the walk to the boats. I could walk, no problem. The exercise would be good. Just think DH might have issues. Do you know the distance from where the ship docks to a ferry stop. Thanks.

See above. If the water taxi makes additional downtown stops I'm not sure where they are so I'd contact the company. But no way would you want to walk with a cane from the cruise terminal to the ferry stop near the aquarium. It's not far, but no way with a cane.

I may be mistaken, but I think the water taxi departs from the Aquarium, which "Maps" says is about .8 miles from the cruise port. Instead of a cab there though, I'd take Uber. Charleston isn't a city like New York where cabs are just driving along the street downtown waiting to be hailed from the street, so you'd have to look up a cab company and call them on the phone. Much easier to request Uber and Uber is plentiful around the area.

See above. If the water taxi makes additional downtown stops I'm not sure where they are so I'd contact the company. But no way would you want to walk with a cane from the cruise terminal to the ferry stop near the aquarium. It's not far, but no way with a cane.

Their website says waterfront park as the second downtown location. I'm guessing by the pineapple somewhere.

Timing will be very important in your plan. You've probably noticed that the boats to Ft. Sumter leave at different times from both locations, downtown and Patriots Point.

If you want to also visit Patriots Point then the closest water taxi pick up is only at Aquarium Wharf. Hurricane Matthew damaged the dock at Waterfront park.

For transportation to the Ft. Sumter building at Aquarium wharf, the best method is probably the Pedicab. http://pedicabcharleston.com/services. A short trip is $5pp. A long trip is $10. Call them for the fare amount. From their website: "due to dock damage to our Waterfront Park landing, we will only be landing at the Maritime Center in downtown Charleston."

I recommend going to the exhibit in the Ft. Sumter Aquarium Wharf facility. But if you want to do both, I recommend doing the water taxi. http://www.charlestonwatertaxi.com/ The price is $10pp all day. The water taxi also picks up at Aquarium Wharf.

Just as you get off the water taxi at Patriots Point, there is a ticket booth where you can buy the PP tickets. Ask them to call for transportation and they'll send down the van or a golf cart to transport you up the pier to land side where the Ft. Sumter ticket booth and boat are.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Their website says waterfront park as the second downtown location. I'm guessing by the pineapple somewhere.

If you want to also visit Patriots Point then the closest water taxi pick up is only at Aquarium Wharf. Hurricane Matthew damaged the dock at Waterfront park.

For transportation to the Ft. Sumter building at Aquarium wharf, the best method is probably the Pedicab. http://pedicabcharleston.com/services. A short trip is $5pp. A long trip is $10. Call them for the fare amount. From their website: "due to dock damage to our Waterfront Park landing, we will only be landing at the Maritime Center in downtown Charleston."

Just to clarify for the OP, Aquarium wharf is at/by the Maritime Center so this is basically the same general place, and what I referenced earlier as being too far for your husband to walk from the cruise port. Waterfront Park would have been ok probably, but it looks like the prior ferry stop there is discontinued for the time being.

Just to clarify for the OP, Aquarium wharf is at/by the Maritime Center so this is basically the same general place, and what I referenced earlier as being too far for your husband to walk from the cruise port. Waterfront Park would have been ok probably, but it looks like the prior ferry stop there is discontinued for the time being.

There is at least a three to four block walk between the Maritime Center and the Aquarium Wharf. Mapquest says it's .2 miles between the two. (click here for map)

luvscruising2007, if you do plan to visit Patriots Point, let me know. I'll add some tips for mobility challenged people.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Is there one carriage ride company better then another?

Not sure, but you can't choose anyway, nor can you choose the route your carriage takes. They line up along the same street and you have to take the first one in line, and do the route that one is scheduled to do so the same streets don't get congested with multiple carriages. The tour guides all have to pass a test to be a tour guide so your experience will be roughly the same regardless of the carriage or route.

Is there one carriage ride company better then another?

The two premiere carriage companies are Palmetto Carriage and Old South Carriage. They've been considered the two best out of four. My wife and I usually recommend Palmetto to our visitors. They're also the carriage company that Charleston Place hotel uses exclusively. Palmetto also has a red barn with some petting animals if you have kids that like that.

I would look for a Palmetto carriage company coupon on the Traveler Magazine website. There are other tourist coupons there too. Sometimes you can just walk up to a carriage and say I want a discount and the driver will give you one.

Not all tour guides are the same. While they all have to pass the test, some play loose with the facts. The two I mentioned have more reliable guides in my opinion. Oh BTW if you're passing Hyman's Seafood and the driver tells you it's the best seafood, understand that they get free food for giving you a coupon for a free appetizer. Their food is mediocre at best. The line is also falsely formed even with empty tables inside so that people will think it's a great place.

There are four tour routes regulated by the city tourism commission to disperse the carriages throughout the city so there's not an abundance in any one area at the same time. It's kinda like a bingo machine and one of the four routes pops up. That's the one the carriage must take.

You can either load on the carriage on Market/Anson street or you can load at the companies' barn. But both places must pull up to the bingo machine before embarking.

However here's a little known fact, if you don't like the route, ask the driver if you can get off. Then take the next carriage. Maybe you'll get the tour you want. There really aren't any bad routes but if you've been on the same one several times, you may want to diversify.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks, didn't know you could also load at the barn.

Welcome.

Here's something else many people are not aware of...when you approach the carriages lined up along the Market, you're not required to get on the first carriage. If a company carriage you want to go on is third in line, you can get on that one. The only thing is you have to wait until the two in front of you fill and depart. However if your carriage fills, I believe they can jump the line for their route selection.

The city tourism commission has strict rules about hawking passengers if your carriage is not the first in line, however you can walk up to them since it's your choice.

If you load at the barn, once they determine they want to send out their carriage whether totally full or not, they depart for the route bingo machine.

The Old South Carriage barn is on Anson Street. The Palmetto Carriage red barn is at 8 Guignard Street which runs between Anson and East Bay Street alongside Old South's barn.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

If your hubby uses a cane, not sure if Patriots Point would be a good idea. Not only is there walking down the pier once you are there, you go up and down ship ladders and stairs. That kind of ship has ledges/lips ? You have to step over betwen rooms and walkways etc too. Just wanted to throw that out if you haven't thought about it. Aquarium might be a better idea.

If your hubby uses a cane, not sure if Patriots Point would be a good idea. Not only is there walking down the pier once you are there, you go up and down ship ladders and stairs. That kind of ship has ledges/lips ? You have to step over betwen rooms and walkways etc too. Just wanted to throw that out if you haven't thought about it. Aquarium might be a better idea.

I can understand you thinking that. However Patriots Point has an 11 passenger van to transport people up and down the pier. They also use public safety golf carts for the same purpose. The cart can also be called to the ticket booth near where the water taxi docks.

There is a fairly level aluminum ramp from the pier to the Yorktown. Just inside the Yorktown there are free to use manual wheel chairs. You can roll down the passageway to the elevator which can take you to the main deck which has the three hangar bays, snack bar, Medal of Honor museum and a replica of the Apollo 8 capsule along with a dozen aircraft including a

They can also use an elevator to access the Flight deck where there are another dozen aircraft with a beautiful view of downtown Charleston, Cooper River Bridge and the harbor. The view is unparalleled.

Obviously there are some areas that won't be accessible without using the ladders but there is definitely a lot to see even if mobility is limited.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I found a local TV story about the Yorktown's B-25 bomber (Furtile Myrtle) being lowered from the Hangar Bay III ceiling to be displayed on the Hangar Bay deck. Now you can actually touch it. http://abcnews4.com/news/local/furtle-turtle-b-25-bomber-at-patriots-point-to-get-a-face-lift

Edited by ChucktownSteve

That kind of ship has ledges/lips? You have to step over between rooms and walkways etc too. J

Those are called Knee-Knockers by many. That's really the coaming of a watertight door. They rise about about 18-24" off the deck that tend to wreak havoc on the shins of those who forget they exist. :eek:

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Here's something else many people are not aware of...when you approach the carriages lined up along the Market, you're not required to get on the first carriage. If a company carriage you want to go on is third in line, you can get on that one. The only thing is you have to wait until the two in front of you fill and depart. However if your carriage fills, I believe they can jump the line for their route selection.

Interesting, and also good to know!

I can understand you thinking that. However Patriots Point has an 11 passenger van to transport people up and down the pier. They also use public safety golf carts for the same purpose. The cart can also be called to the ticket booth near where the water taxi docks.

There is a fairly level aluminum ramp from the pier to the Yorktown. Just inside the Yorktown there are free to use manual wheel chairs. You can roll down the passageway to the elevator which can take you to the main deck which has the three hangar bays, snack bar, Medal of Honor museum and a replica of the Apollo 8 capsule along with a dozen aircraft including a

They can also use an elevator to access the Flight deck where there are another dozen aircraft with a beautiful view of downtown Charleston, Cooper River Bridge and the harbor. The view is unparalleled.

Obviously there are some areas that won't be accessible without using the ladders but there is definitely a lot to see even if mobility is limited.

Thanks, for the information. DH served on the MidWay during the 50's. He very familiar with the layout so I'll ask him what he thinks. Stairs are not a real problem but the ladders might be.

The metal lips you mention in the doorways I had forgotten about. Seems like on my first couple of cruises we had that all over the ship.

Thanks again for giving me things to think about. The use of his cane has slowed him down so we will have to plan excursions with that in mind.

Thanks, for the information. DH served on the MidWay during the 50's. He very familiar with the layout so I'll ask him what he thinks. Stairs are not a real problem but the ladders might be.

The metal lips you mention in the doorways I had forgotten about. Seems like on my first couple of cruises we had that all over the ship.

Thanks again for giving me things to think about. The use of his cane has slowed him down so we will have to plan excursions with that in mind.

They've removed the coaming and the watertight doors or chained the doors open on the tour routes. The ship was made visitor friendlier. I believe your husband will enjoy the Yorktown.

Edited by ChucktownSteve