What's happening with the Epic (bad reviews)?

MiniJeffrey

Travel mom. .. What did your kids like about the epic? We will be on it in 7 days (yippee). But I have to disagree. .. compared to allure...epic is (like some one posted) like the Pontiac Aztec

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

She is 9 years old. She spent hours a day at the water slides and climbing the spider climb/curly slide. She also loved the bungee trampoline and ping pong. We also bowled, did the rock climbing and went to craft classes together. The kids club is much nicer than the Allure. The Epic has a much more open space with massive windows.

The Epic kids club is also much more secure - big concern for me as my DD is very trusting. On the Epic, we had to show our ship card and her ship card as well as tell them our secret password. She then had to be let through 2 locked doors. On the Allure, I sent my sister to pick up my DD just to see what happened. She was not on the "pick up" list. No problem - she came out with her no questions asked.

As far as the looks - it really doesn't matter to me what a ship's exterior looks like.

Thanks for posting this TravelMom, we'll be on the Epic next Saturday. Did your kids use the kids club at all? My kids (6 and 9) really liked Adventure Ocean on RCL and so I'm hoping that the one on the Epic will be good too.....

My DD is 9 and she loved the kids club. I also felt very safe with security(see my last post).

She is 9 years old. She spent hours a day at the water slides and climbing the spider climb/curly slide. She also loved the bungee trampoline and ping pong. We also bowled, did the rock climbing and went to craft classes together. The kids club is much nicer than the Allure. The Epic has a much more open space with massive windows.

The Epic kids club is also much more secure - big concern for me as my DD is very trusting. On the Epic, we had to show our ship card and her ship card as well as tell them our secret password. She then had to be let through 2 locked doors. On the Allure, I sent my sister to pick up my DD just to see what happened. She was not on the "pick up" list. No problem - she came out with her no questions asked.

As far as the looks - it really doesn't matter to me what a ship's exterior looks like.

This is so helpful, thank you! I don't think I've heard of the climbing spider thing....what is that? Do you have pictures by chance? My girls will love the craft classes, it sounds great. Were there long lines at the slides? And great to know about the security, sounds like Epic does a great job at this. Oh and one more thing, did you have to pay for the bungee thing? Sorry for so many questions! :)

sunshine mom - my kids are 10 and 7 ...maybe we will bump into you next sat as well!!

Xcell....that would be neat! Where are you guys from? I'm sure my girls would love to find new playmates! They are excited about the slides and the kids club activities!

you will be fine in the haven, you won't have to put with bad food, bad service, smoke, and bad rooms but some of us can't afford that, I quess we suffer. Some of us work and money is tight so don't give us a hassle since we are not rich!!!!!

Yep, we're in Ottawa and getting the same thing right now. Loads of snow tonight and tomorrow. Not to mention its minus a million out there.

Same here from Ottawa. Can't wait to get on the Epin on Jan 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is so helpful, thank you! I don't think I've heard of the climbing spider thing....what is that? Do you have pictures by chance? My girls will love the craft classes, it sounds great. Were there long lines at the slides? And great to know about the security, sounds like Epic does a great job at this. Oh and one more thing, did you have to pay for the bungee thing? Sorry for so many questions! :)

Here's a picture off the umm, web. Of the web...:D

http://cruises.about.com/od/norwegianepic/ig/Norwegian-Epic-Exteriors/Norwegian-Epic---Spider-Web.htm

It's a poorly designed ship. Was built to maximize profit over passenger comfort. Many mistakes were recognized and fixed on the Breakaway/Getaway. Cramming 4000+ onto a ship that is designed to squeeze them literally and figuratively is why you get so many bad reviews.

There is a reason they cancelled the order for Epic II.

I have to agree with this. The design is awkward, at best. And the lack of a true bathroom in the cabins (glass doors don't cut it for me). So while my Epic cruise wasn't my favorite, it wasn't my worst either and anytime I'm on a cruise it's a good time. There were lots of things I was impressed with and lots of things I was disappointed with (because of the Epic, not NCL). I've cruised on 5 lines (mostly Carnival) and I cruise based on cost and itinerary. My wallet is loyal only to me, not to a cruise line. :D

I will be sailing on Epic Dec 21st with my wife and two children who are 19 and 21. I have to admit the negative reviews have made me a little nervous. This will be my 8th cruise and second on NCL. After thinking about the reviews for a few days I decided to dismiss most of the complaints I read and here is why...

1) The Norwegian Epic is a huge ship with over 4000 passengers. As the the old saying goes "You can't please everybody." So, there are always going to be a few unhappy campers for whatever reason. And of course those are the ones who are more likely to write a review. I am in the travel business myself and have first hand experience in not being able to please everyone. Recently a client who recently returned back from Morocco wrote us a complaint letter stating that she was upset because she could not find anyone in Morocco that spoke English.

2) I am certainly not going to let the design of the bathrooms or the room ruin my vacation. Really how ridiculous is that? I booked a Large Balcony Stateroom B6. Also, made sure ahead of time that my bed is close to the balcony. I really think planning ahead makes a big difference in enjoying the cruise.

3) I had to wait to be seated at the restaurants. Really? Is this something to complain about? Often when I go out to eat at some of my favorite local restaurants there is often a line. Plus, the cruise ship restaurants often serve multiple courses which takes more time to serve.

4) There wasn't anything to do? LOL I couldn't believe this one when I read it. I am not even on the ship yet and I am overwhelmed by the choices the Epic has to offer. I have already booked all my show times online. Blueman Group, Cirque, Legends, 2nd City Comedy, Presumed Murdered. That is just for starters, there is so much more to do on the ship.

5) Most of the unfriendly staff complaints have been recent. I really do believe this could be because of the Typhoon in the Philippines. I heard a majority of the crew is from there and I am sure it has effected their mood. I also believe that saying please and thank you goes a long way. I have watched people on cruise ships treat the staff like slaves demanding things. I am sure if you treat them nicely and smile they will do the same back.

6) As far as the Nickel and Dime thing.... Unfortunately it is not just an NCL thing, all cruise lines are starting to offer extras for extra pay. It is a trend in the industry. It's just like anything else in life. As long as people continue to go to the paid restaurants they will stay. They would not be there if people did not pay to go there. I am planning on not eating at any of the pay to eat restaurants. I will stick with the complimentary dinning options.

As you can see I am now planning to have a great trip!!! Don't pay much attention to the reviews....go and have your own experience and don't sweat the small stuff! I will try to write a review when I return.

It's a poorly designed ship. Was built to maximize profit over passenger comfort. Many mistakes were recognized and fixed on the Breakaway/Getaway. Cramming 4000+ onto a ship that is designed to squeeze them literally and figuratively is why you get so many bad reviews.

There is a reason they cancelled the order for Epic II.

The second ship of Project F3 was cancelled due to contractual disputes long before Epic went into service. Once Apollo Management got their 50% stake of NCL, they made a number of revision to the design that STX was unwilling to do for the same initial cost. Throw into the mix the various changes in management at both NCL and STX occurring at the same time, and it becomes apparent the situation was even more complex than at first glance. At one point it looked like both ships were going to be cancelled and the unfinished hull of C33 (what became Epic) sold to another cruise line. The notion that "Epic II" was cancelled because of a bad experience with Epic once she was in service is absurd, although it's no secret that NCL was never interested in building another after that point.

I went on the Epic 2 years ago the Breakway recently-

I would go on the Epic again if it were keeping the Eastern Caribbean.

I enjoyed the studios and thought they should have kept 128 for the Breakaway.

Some things I felt that were not as good on the Epic were the fact it seemed to closed in- they did a better job on the Breakaway of having more open spaces.

I felt as though having the larger dining room vs splitting them into 2 on the Breakaway was one design aspect that should have been kept.

I can agree that for people who want a cruise that feels more like a boat than Las Vegas hotels, that it might not be the best choice.

Just returned from Norwegian Epic and sorry to say, we were not thrilled w/ the ship nor the line. Full review pending--see review section. Will go back to our fav lines--RCCL, Princess and Celebrity.

If you also post your review as a new thread here, others could ask you questions which may be helpful to them. Sometimes the reviews take a few days to show up in the Review Section.

Sorry, I haven't downloaded my photos yet. Google: NCL Epic Spider Web and NCL EPIC bungee trampoline. The spider web is much more fun now. They added a spiral slide to come down once the kids reach the top. They used to just climb to the top and climb back down. My DD9 did it over and over and over. The bungee trampoline is right next to it.

For the slides and bungee trampoline, TIMING is EVERYTHING! On sea days, the water slide lines can be really long. We do not care to dine formally every night. The water slides stay open fairly late. We rode them over and over with no line at all after about 6pm. You will have very little wait for these things immediately after you embark. Most people are busy exploring the ship. The bungee trampoline is free but the lines can get long. I recommend lining up about 15 minutes before it opens. Our DD would climb the spider web and one of us would get in line for the bungee trampoline to save her a spot.

The crafts are fun. Some are family and some are nickelodeon. We dis cardmaking, balloon twisting, coloring a bandana, coloring a tote bag, just to name a few.

Do you have all your shows reserved? Make sure to sit in the center section for Blue Man Group.

Sorry, I haven't downloaded my photos yet. Google: NCL Epic Spider Web and NCL EPIC bungee trampoline. The spider web is much more fun now. They added a spiral slide to come down once the kids reach the top. They used to just climb to the top and climb back down. My DD9 did it over and over and over. The bungee trampoline is right next to it.

For the slides and bungee trampoline, TIMING is EVERYTHING! On sea days, the water slide lines can be really long. We do not care to dine formally every night. The water slides stay open fairly late. We rode them over and over with no line at all after about 6pm. You will have very little wait for these things immediately after you embark. Most people are busy exploring the ship. The bungee trampoline is free but the lines can get long. I recommend lining up about 15 minutes before it opens. Our DD would climb the spider web and one of us would get in line for the bungee trampoline to save her a spot.

The crafts are fun. Some are family and some are nickelodeon. We dis cardmaking, balloon twisting, coloring a bandana, coloring a tote bag, just to name a few.

Do you have all your shows reserved? Make sure to sit in the center section for Blue Man Group.

Great tips, thanks for the details. I'm sure my kids are going to love that spider climber. Never thought to ride the slides later, that's a good idea.

We did just reserve our shows....BGG, Legends and Second City (although I just read from someone else that SC was a bust). We'll be sure to grab a seat in the centre for BMG, thanks! :)

2) I am certainly not going to let the design of the bathrooms or the room ruin my vacation. Really how ridiculous is that? I booked a Large Balcony Stateroom B6. Also, made sure ahead of time that my bed is close to the balcony. I really think planning ahead makes a big difference in enjoying the cruise.

If you enjoy holding a conversation at normal volume or waving to your wife/husband or kids while doing a #1 or #2, good on you. If you enjoy showing what you have to all in the cabin while showering, again, good on you. Guess I'm not that much of an exhibitionist. Did it ruin our vacation, certainly not. Did it make it uncomfortable enough that I will likely never sail the Epic again, you betcha. I have no problems with the line (as can be seen by my upcoming cruises with NCL), only with the Epic itself. There are plenty of other ships in the NCL fleet which can do a much better job of fulfilling my vacation needs.

If you enjoy holding a conversation at normal volume or waving to your wife/husband or kids while doing a #1 or #2, good on you. If you enjoy showing what you have to all in the cabin while showering, again, good on you. Guess I'm not that much of an exhibitionist. Did it ruin our vacation, certainly not. Did it make it uncomfortable enough that I will likely never sail the Epic again, you betcha. I have no problems with the line (as can be seen by my upcoming cruises with NCL), only with the Epic itself. There are plenty of other ships in the NCL fleet which can do a much better job of fulfilling my vacation needs.

Yea I concur, just wait til someone asks him if he's wiping. I bet he'll make sure the TV is on and turned up before clearing the tank from a Thai dish off the buffet.

Having recently sailed on EPIC the best way I can sum up my feelings are that the ship is too large for the staff who have to maintain it. I have heard that our crew was fairly new – so maybe that had more to do with it. I felt everyone worked hard but that there was just too much going on for them to keep up. From bad information, miscommunication, dirty staterooms and slow service (even though the staff was clearly rushing) I just felt they were overwhelmed.

Also I did not find anything “EPIC” about Epic. It was a larger ship with a bunch of small venues, but nothing overly special. I think I expected more, but I take the blame for that.... maybe I’ve been on enough cruises now that nothing really surprises me. The only thing is that my experience on Freedom of the Seas was exceptional so now I’m not sure if it’s cruising in general or maybe I just needed to try a different line. Our next cruise is RCL so we will see…..

Just off the Epic last Sat. (3rd time onboard) and I posted on another thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1957152

It is not a perfect ship, it is a very good ship. Scooteroffl has the right attitude - use some common sense and ignore the "most perfect cruise in the world" and "worst cruise in the world" comments. Looking back on the 14 cruises we have gone on, there are several that seem almost majical and others that seem like nighmares - and it was all based on how I felt at the time and nothing to do with the ships. Attitude is 90% of your vacation experience.

Just off the Epic last Sat. (3rd time onboard) and I posted on another thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1957152

It is not a perfect ship, it is a very good ship. Scooteroffl has the right attitude - use some common sense and ignore the "most perfect cruise in the world" and "worst cruise in the world" comments. Looking back on the 14 cruises we have gone on, there are several that seem almost majical and others that seem like nighmares - and it was all based on how I felt at the time and nothing to do with the ships. Attitude is 90% of your vacation experience.

And the other 10% is going to the bathroom and showering in privacy! ;)