Brazilian Visa Limits

ONT-CA

Delving into past postings on CC there is talk that the Brazilian Visa, although issued for a stated period of 5 years, is in fact extended to be applicable for 10 years. Our current Visa is dated October 2007

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Delving into past postings on CC there is talk that the Brazilian Visa, although issued for a stated period of 5 years, is in fact extended to be applicable for 10 years. Our current Visa is dated October 2007

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Suggest that you contact the closest Consulate or Embassy to get the accurate, up-to-date answer.

You can't extend the period - you'll need to apply for a new one since a visa is good only for the period of time noted on it when issued.

If you apply for a Brazilian visa now it will most likely be good for 10 years - that is a relatively recent change. I write 'most likely' because it is, according to the small print on their websites, up to each Consulate to determine the duration.

We received ours in 2009 back when it was valid only for 5 years. Even then there was a disclaimer that the Consulate could issue it for 'up to 5 years'. When I applied in person I asked about that and they said at that time the 5 years was 'normal' but by saying 'most likely' or 'typically' they covered their bases if for any reason the Consulate decided to issue it for a shorter period.

Be very , very careful with Brazilian Visas as whilst we had valid Visas for entry this year, and double checked the fact before departing Australia, and again at the Brazilian Embassy in Lima (Peru) we had serious troubles entering Brazil twice at Iguazzu and then again at Rio de Janiero .

We had Visas issued in April 2010, with no enter by date, valid for life of Passport, allowing multiple entries up to two times per annum for up to 90 days each visit .

Australia said no problem before departure in April, 2012; and Lima Embassy said valid Visa in May 2012. Arrive next day at Iguazzu and set aside as Visa was allegedly too old. After much discussion it was agreed it was indeed a vaild Visa and that I would have no troubles entering again in Rio . Arrived Rio and held aside again, same drama but went on for near 30 minutes. Finally agreed it was a valid visa and admitted .

Brazil now appear to have reverted to issuing Visas with an enter by date on them. If you do not have that new type of visa they go into melt down at the border entry points.

Explaining that the Visa has no enter by date on it, just brings claims that the Visa is not correct . Whilst Brazil has every right to alter their Visa terms, surely Visas arleady issued are still valid, or they should contact people with those visas and advise them to get a new one.

The Immigration people were very polite and courteous, but when one has done your homework and assured from two Brazilian Embassies that your Visa is valid it is frustrating and upsetting to be delayed at the borders.

Length of visa depends on passport held. New visas for US passport holders are usually 10 year multiple-entry currently. If you have a 5 year visa, you will need a NEW visa when it expires. You may need 6 months left on the old one to get your prazo (stay) on entry (because you can get a 90 day prazo and renew for another 90), or may be given a limited prazo.

As far as any hassles at the borders, that type of thing is pretty much par for the course when encountering any type of public or private

burro-cracy in Brazil (from airlines to the notary public to the border staff to construction permits to opening/running a business, ad nauseum)--badly informed employees trying to make life as difficult as possible for the client. Customer service seems an unknown concept. Imagine how life must be for those foreigners who live here, encountering that on a daily basis to get anything done !

Validity for each stay is determined when you go through Immigration. I think the norm is 180 days. One can apply to extend that (not usually an issue for cruisers or most tourists in general). If your visa is about to expire, you need to get a new one, with new 10-year period, before you depart the U.S.

I think the norm is 180 days. .

Technically it's 180 days per year total, calculating the year starting from the date of first entry (for those with US passports) .

AFAIK the usual entry/prazo (for those with US passports) is 90 days max. However, by going to the Policia Federal and applying, with an additional fee, this can be extended for 90 days more.

Those holding other passports or applying for visas out of home country, and in Iguacu particularly, may receive a shorter visa length and/or non-renewable prazo.

As mentioned, few cruisers or casual tourists are likely to encounter these circumstances.

I called up and they say 10 years ..

What is 10 years? And for whom (holder of which passport)?

1) Don't confuse a visa with a prazo (stay).

2) Visas are for different lengths according to passport held.

(and btw if whichever Consulate you called actually answered their phone, you were very lucky !)

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Brazil Consulate in Sydney last week, they told me 12 months validity date from date of issue. I have unactivated visas in our passports issued in November 2010 for a cruise from Rio to SF in March 2011, which I cancelled due to medical issues. I thought I could use them in February 2014 precruise on Golen Princess but told no, had to apply for new ones. Now I read on here about 5 and 10 years, confusing to me.

So maybe we will just do the Falls precruise from the Argie side, the Brazillians can keep their visas.

For Canadians, the visa is normally 5 years. Scroll to the end of this page:http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist_visa.xml

It says:

VISA ENTRIES AND VALIDITY

The Consulate will issue tourist visas with multiple entries. The tourist visa validity is normally of 5 years from first entry in Brazil for Canadian passport holders. Passport holders of other nationalities will be granted visas with validities that vary from 90 days to 10 years according to the reciprocity policy and at the Consulate’s discretion.

For Canadians, the visa is normally 5 years. Scroll to the end of this page:http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist_visa.xml

It says:

VISA ENTRIES AND VALIDITY

The Consulate will issue tourist visas with multiple entries. The tourist visa validity is normally of 5 years from first entry in Brazil for Canadian passport holders. Passport holders of other nationalities will be granted visas with validities that vary from 90 days to 10 years according to the reciprocity policy and at the Consulate’s discretion.

Thanks for that, but how long is the visa for Canadian passport holders to Brazil valid after issue before activation - entry into Brazil.

Your last sentence probably tells the story, variable.

My visa started immediately. The Brazilian government knows I don't fly to Brazil until December because I had to show a printout of my flight bookings as well as my cruise booking document. Visits can last 90 days per visit and a maximum of 180 days per year. The visa is for repeat visits. It is not good for work or study. It is good for five years, longer than the remaining time for my passport. I was told by the official when I get a replacement Canadian passport, I can still carry this visa for the life of the visa. This information is for Canadians only - your Brazilian visa rules may vary from the reciprocity agreement with Canada.

I contacted Brazil Consulate in Sydney last week, they told me 12 months validity date from date of issue. I have unactivated visas in our passports issued in November 2010 for a cruise from Rio to SF in March 2011, which I cancelled due to medical issues. I thought I could use them in February 2014 precruise on Golen Princess but told no, had to apply for new ones. Now I read on here about 5 and 10 years, confusing to me.

So maybe we will just do the Falls precruise from the Argie side, the Brazillians can keep their visas.

According to the Brazilian consulate in Canberra's website -

"For Australian the visa is valid for one year starting by the issue date. Australians is allowed to stay 90 days in Brazil starting by the first day of arrival. Extension for a further 90 days may be requested to the Brazilian Federal Police in Brazil before the Visa expires and will be authorized or not at their discretion. Visitors can remain in Brazil for up to a maximum of 180 days in any twelve (12) month period counted from the day they first entered the country."

http://camberra.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist_visa.xml

I checked the Brazilian government site for Chicago and area.

It specifies that some countries still must enter Brazil within 90 days. Canadians, Americans, Australians, British and many others do not have this rule applied to them any longer.

The whole thing works very smoothly. You can check the progress of your visa online. I was quite impressed.

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml

If you live elsewhere in the US, find the office that handles your region:http://www.consbrasdc.org/informacoes.asp?id=1

According to the Brazilian consulate in Canberra's website -

"For Australian the visa is valid for one year starting by the issue date. Australians is allowed to stay 90 days in Brazil starting by the first day of arrival. Extension for a further 90 days may be requested to the Brazilian Federal Police in Brazil before the Visa expires and will be authorized or not at their discretion. Visitors can remain in Brazil for up to a maximum of 180 days in any twelve (12) month period counted from the day they first entered the country."

http://camberra.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist_visa.xml

Cheers, thanks for that information, I contacted the Brazil Consul in Sydney. So they were correct.

I checked the Brazilian government site for Chicago and area.

It specifies that some countries still must enter Brazil within 90 days. Canadians, Americans, Australians, British and many others do not have this rule applied to them any longer.

The whole thing works very smoothly. You can check the progress of your visa online. I was quite impressed.

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml

If you live elsewhere in the US, find the office that handles your region:http://www.consbrasdc.org/informacoes.asp?id=1

Nice work providing this link.

We were pleased that for most counties such as the USA that the rule changed. Prior to the recent changes we had to get visas two different times for Brazil and had to be sure they were not issued to soon prior to our trip with the 90 day rule in place to enter Brazil. We needed a new Brazil visa for a trip early next year and with the new rule change we got the visa this past May since it no longer has to be used within 90 days and now it's good for ten years.

I thought I would post the except from the web site you provided on this rule. Again, great link you provided.

Keith

AFTER VISA IS ISSUED - Individuals traveling with passports from Angola, Bahrain, Cambodia, Cape Verde, China, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Greece, Honduras, Indonesia, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kuwait, Laos, Libya, Myanmar, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Paraguay, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Switzerland, Tawain, Thailand, Tunisia, must enter Brazil within 90 days from the date that their visa is issued. The visa will expire upon failure to enter within that time frame. It is the visa bearer’s responsibility to monitor this period of time. This requirement no longer applies to individuals traveling with passports from other countries.

Archived