AOS 7/17 - 7/24 Review Part 1

I returned Sunday from the 7/17 Sailing of the AOS, I am typing this from memory so forgive any rambling or grammatical errors.

Sunday 7/17

We arrived in PR at aboout 11:30 and had our luggage at about 12:00. We went to the taxi stand as we did not purchase the RCI transfer. The taxi was 17.50 for two people with 3 pieces of luggage. We arrived at the port at about 12:30 ish. At this time there were two lines, one for those who had luggage to give to porters and one for people with no luggage (those wth the RCI transfers). Since we had luggage we had to get in that line first then the other line to get into the Pier. ONce in the Pier there were lines every but since I checked in online, after waiting to be checked before you could actually enter the pier about 5-10 mins., we walked right up to get our SeaPass cards and were on our way!

The ship was AMAZING!!!!!! We went to the Windjammer and becaause of a tip I received here, we went straight to the Island Grill, the only difference I saw was the the always had two soups, but one was in the Windjammer and the other at the Island Grill and of course the hamburgers and hotdogs. After having lunch, we explored the ship---it was beautiful!!!!!! We were also looking for a few family friends who worked on the ship to no avail! By this time, the rooms were ready so we headed up there and it was nice enough (it was a promanade). We were SOOO tired, the night before we attended a family cookout to very late in the am and still had to pack and be at the airport by 5:00 by out 7:00 flight! So we took a nap and awoke with the aid of a wake up call for dinner. We had early seating, somehow we managed to get a table for two, not by our request, but we went with it! We acutally enjoyed it, no worries about being late, not showing up and holding anyone else up, we were in and out faster than the other tables. We were also by a window which was nice to see the ocean as we ate!

After dinner we went back to our room and our luggage was there so we unpacked and again began our search for our family friend again to no avail!!!!! We then went to the welcome aboard show and then to our room, we were still BEAT (we were unable to sleep on the plane because AA has the SMALLEST seats in the business, I will NEVER fly them again!!!!!).

Monday 7/18 St. Thomas

We had an excursion planned with Godfrey Tours. We went to meet him outside the terminal as requested and he was there with a sign like he said in his e-mail. He took us shopping and all around the island, he was very nice and knowledgable, I would defiantely use him again! After the excursion, we went back to the ship for lunch, a shower, and a nap. We woke up and explored the ship some more. We went to dinner at the Windjammer--we only ate in the dinningroom 3 times, one being lobster). After dinner, we played the Love and Marriage game and the women won!!!! We then went to the Adult Comedy Show which was pretty good!!!! The funniest joke was that no one lies more than a person with a trade-in!!! This was so funny to me because my hubby recently traded in his car for a new one and boy was he lying!!!!! After the comedy show we went to bed.

Tuesday 7/19 St. Maarten

We did not have anything planned here, so after sleeping very late we ventured out to go shopping! I will never understand the island after island attraction of liquor and jewerly but to each his own!!! St. Maarten is the best island for these purchases, the shopping area was mainly----jewerly, electronics and liquor, I had a hard time finding a suvenior for my 14yr. old. It rained while we were there, the first time for about 2 min, the second time for about 4 minutes and the final time for about 20 min. not a drizzle but cats and dogs each time. We returned to the ship to try our hand at trivia, but no one showed up! We went to lunch then back to our room for our nap and shower. We awoke just in time for dinner in the dinning room, I had the jerk chicken and it was delicious. Hubby had the pasta and said it was good!!! We then went to another Battle of the Sexes that the women again won then off to the Love and Marriage Game show, it was good as well. We finally caught up with our family friends at Jester's nightclub and that is where we spent the rest of our evenings after any activities!!!!!

More to come later, I am in the process of doing laundry, any questions please ask and I will do my best!!!!

Thanks for the start of your review, I can't wait to hear more, a group of us are cruisin AOS in October and any information you have would be great. I believe I read that you had a promanade room, we are also booked in one, how did you like it? Any noise? Can't wait to hear the rest!:)

We were on the very same cruise and had a wonderful time! Really lucked out with the weather - only one rainy afternoon where it rained sideways and through the evening into the Caribbean party and midnight buffet. But, oh well. The cruise director was Ashley Kerr. She is classy and down to earth and funny but not over-the-top crazy. We also saw the love and marriage show which was funny but missed the Adult Comedy, unfortunately. Just too late and we were too tired from being up early for excursions and shopping. Did not partake in any karaoke. The DH and I like music and to dance and really enjoyed the salsa/latin group playing in the lobby bar. We also liked Mega 4 who played poolside almost every day. The ice show, as has been previously mentioned, is not to be missed, and that's coming from a family who is deeply and seriously into ice skating. We could find nothing to criticize about the skaters who did double and triple jumps from an ice surface little bigger than a living room! And the creativity was amazing! The other entertainment was ok, but I think Norwegian (Dawn, anyway) was a little better with more diversity - magician, etc. There was lots to do for our 7-year old as well as our teenagers. They have a club for 15 - 17 year olds which our son really enjoyed but our daugher, 18, would have liked a club, not just for 18 and up, but for 18 to maybe 21.

We also had the privilege of seeing Charo. I never did like her "koochie-koochie" bit but can that lady play the guitar! And as she says, the koochie got her all the way to the bank (LOL).

Another thing about AOS, even though there are over 3000 passengers on board, you never really felt crowded, except maybe getting into and out of spaces like the Lyric or the Dining room, briefly. The ship flows nicely from one section to another and easy to find your way around.

Bottom line - We would sail her again in a heartbeat. Whoever is journeying on her soon - have a great cruise!

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to read more. We're sailing the AOS in September. Who was the cruise director? ASHLEY KERR

And do they still do the Karaoke Idol contest?

YES and they have something called Rock a Roake (karoke with a live band)

Thanks for the start of your review, I can't wait to hear more, a group of us are cruisin AOS in October and any information you have would be great. I believe I read that you had a promanade room, we are also booked in one, how did you like it? Any noise? Can't wait to hear the rest!:)

YEs there was noice, from the promanade but I would book that room again, but my hubby said he would not--different strokes for different folks.

Archived