Private car rental insurance

Would appreciate some advice on obtaining private UK. based car rental insurance for a fortnight's rental next spring from Southampton. The car rental companies provide additional insurance that covers less than 100% collision/theft/damage coverage but at a high daily price. Would like 100% coverage at a reasonable price if there is such an animal. Any advice, apart from do not rent a car, would be much appreciated. BTW, does any car rental company out of Southampton offer 100% coverage? Thanks...

Last year we rented from Hertz, picking up the car in London, driving through Wales, spending time in Cornwall & Devon, eventually returning the car at the airport in Bournemouth. After checking with all of our USA credit cards' fine print and ensuing phone calls, that "gap" in coverage didn't apply outside of US and CD. Same with our regular auto insurance. So we opted for full coverage on the rental, and added tire coverage as well. When we picked up the car, full coverage for all losses was clearly indicated on the agreement.

Maybe renting from a different agency?

Driving on the opposite side wasn't all that difficult, especially when we started the 1200 mile drive near Marble Arch in London. DH did pick up the recommended Int'l Driver's Lic., before we left home, but nobody ever asked to see it. He also got a copy of rules of the road in the British Isles and read it on the flight.

Darcy

Hi Vic,

My experience in the UK, in Europe and in the States, is that CDW normally comes with quite a large excess, anything up to £1,000.

In the UK, as elsewhere, most (all?) rental agencies can provide extra insurance to cover the excess so that you're not responsible for any damage (other than under-body damage, tyre damage, etc.)

But as you've realised, standard CDW cover is quite expensive - and a zero excess costs even more.

You can buy insurance cover for the excess very cheaply (typically 2 or 3 dollars a day) on the web, but in the event of damage you have to pay the excess to the rental agency yourself & claim a refund from that insurer.

Sometimes we've insured the excess through the rental agency (esp if it's part of a deal), sometimes we've done that excess cover on the web.

Can't comment on how easy to get your money back, we've never had to put it to the test.

We usually do take out full cover - this avoids our being responsible for any previous damage that we/they hadn't noticed, especially when collecting from a multi-storey airport location or during the hours of darkness or rain (cracked light lenses are a classic example). It also means we can just collect & return the car with the minimum of fuss.

Check out the newspaper report in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2395418

The OP seems to be under the false impression that "previous-damage" rip-offs are commonplace, but that news report shows how excess cover can be overly expensive and over-sold as a frightener. I certainly wouldn't add 25% of the rental charge to cover the excess, and you might want to put Enterprise at the bottom of the list

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

As we often hire a car whilst abroad, last year I bought one of the separate car hire excess insurances.

Whilst on holiday this year I had to make a claim. I paid the estimated cost for repair to the car hire company. They sent me the repair invoice and I made my claim to the company.

They paid me in full without deducting any excess, so I was very impressed. I think the company was called carexcess4 you, or something like that. It was a Direct Line company. I had bought the policy for approx £33 on Quidco, so had also received a discount. It proved to be far better than buying the over priced excess from the car hire company.

Insurance for overseas hire cars is widely available. I would want to buy from someone in my own country to make claims easier. You will need at least £1000 worth of available credit on the card you use. Picking a hire car up in London is not for the faint hearted; roads are complicated and congested and other drivers are unforgiving - better to start from Heathrow.

Car hire companies always want to upsell, as they have to quote low, barely profitable, prices to get business. They charge extortionate prices for things like child seats (compulsory here for children under 12) and satnavs (GPS), essential for finding your way. It is rare here to find examples of a genuine ripoff.

This may not be the case in some Mediterranean countries, especially if you hire through an agency at rock bottom prices.

.......... London ........... other drivers are unforgiving.

London drivers unforgiving, Bob?

Surely not :D :D

OP is renting from Southampton.

But yes, if spending the last few days in London best to return the car to somewhere on the outskirts, somewhere like Heathrow, and using public transport in London.

A sat-nav (GPS) in the UK costs about £80, or £100 including the rest of Europe. Or buy second-hand on E-Bay in Canada - that allows you to plan your routes etc well in advance. Then after your trip sell it on B-Bay in Canada to someone else planning a visit to the UK.

Edited by John Bull

London drivers unforgiving, Bob?

Surely not...OP is renting from Southampton...

Thanks JB, Bob++,LondonTowner and WatchHill. Appreciate your input. Shall follow up on your suggestions and will, no doubt, end up in the right spot regarding full coverage insurance.

p.s. No prob driving in England. Grew up in North London and took my first test in Stratford. If you can drive there, any where else is a breeze. Takes me about an hour to regain my comfort level driving on the left or should I say the 'correct side of the road'. Cheers and thanks again!

I live and drive in central London, but this past weekend we have stayed in Dorset. We were driving in very rural areas and getting frustrated with drivers doing things so much more slowly than we do in London. Many of those drivers wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the capital. It's all relevant to what you are used to.

Thanks JB, Bob++,LondonTowner and WatchHill. Appreciate your input. Shall follow up on your suggestions and will, no doubt, end up in the right spot regarding full coverage insurance.

Ended up reserving with Hertz. Zero deductible was about £3 per day. Worth it just in case. Hopefully there will be no 'hidden' or 'last minute' charges. Thanks for your input...

Ended up reserving with Hertz. Zero deductible was about £3 per day. Worth it just in case. Hopefully there will be no 'hidden' or 'last minute' charges. Thanks for your input...

That seems like an extraordinarily good deal. For booking here in the UK excess waiver (Hertz's Super Cover) can usually only be purchased when picking up the car and is £26/ day, often more than the car rental :eek:

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

That seems like an extraordinarily good deal. For booking here in the UK excess waiver (Hertz's Super Cover) can usually only be purchased when picking up the car and is £26/ day, often more than the car rental :eek:

Cotswold Eagle, double checked the reservation. Says £0 deductible for Collision Damage and Theft. £1.56 daily for Road Tax fee to be paid locally. Personal Injury insurance extra. Cannot see any other charges but one never knows, does one? Don't want a 'surprise' when getting the car. Appreciate your concern. Cheers...

Cotswold Eagle, double checked the reservation. Says £0 deductible for Collision Damage and Theft. £1.56 daily for Road Tax fee to be paid locally. Personal Injury insurance extra. Cannot see any other charges but one never knows, does one? Don't want a 'surprise' when getting the car. Appreciate your concern. Cheers...

:confused:

That rang alarm bells with me too.

I've checked the Hertz website on my UK computer.

I'm showing a standard CDW excess of £1,000 (& upward, depending on vehicle type), and a fee of £26.40 & upward per day for a zero excess (Hertz call it super-cover / excess waiver).

This summer in the US we hired from Alamo on a promo deal (CDW with $0 excess, second driver, full tank of gas) for little more than a standard rental fee, and you may be seeing some sort of inclusive "deal" on the Hertz US website.

But it's well worth checking, to avoid an unexpected expense of £26+ per day day

I have no idea what costs £1.56 daily & payable locally but it won't be road tax - that's normally included in the basic rental charge.

Edited by John Bull

:confused:That rang alarm bells with me too...

Really have to thank each of you, especially JB, for taking the time and effort to assist. Much appreciated. Should have mentioned, although we are getting a vehicle from Hertz, the booking was made via AutoEurope.ca. The voucher states the following inclusions and exclusions:-

Your rental includes:

* 20% Sales tax as of Booking Date: 31-Aug-2016.

* Fire Insurance.

* Liability Insurance for injuries or damages to persons or things outside the vehicle.

* Rental includes Collision Damage coverage . Rental limits potential vehicle damage liability to the deductible of approximately GBP 0.00.

* Rental includes Theft Protection for the vehicle . Rental limits potential vehicle loss liability to deductible of approximately GBP 0.00.

Your rental excludes:

* Insurance coverage for personal injuries to driver or passengers. Optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee .

* Gasoline or Diesel. Client is advised to return the vehicle with a full fuel tank and to retain copies of receipts.

* Rental excludes Vehicle Licensing fee/ Road Tax fee of approximately 1.56 GBP per day.

* Central London Congestion Charge. For more information regarding this charge for driving within certain areas of London inquire at time of pick up or visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk.

If you think I've missed something, would appreciate your advice. Think this is the optimum coverage available except For Personal Injury coverage. Hope so! Again, would hate a nasty surprise at pick up time. Cheers!

Edited by Crown Vic

Think this is the optimum coverage available except For Personal Injury coverage. Hope so! Again, would hate a nasty surprise at pick up time. Cheers!

It certainly looks that way, Vic :)

No doubt the clerk will still try to sell you extra insurance when you collect the car :rolleyes:, like that personal injury cover, or underbody insurance or breakdown cover (could never understand paying for breakdown cover, it's their car so their problem & their responsibility to fix in a reasonable time or provide a substitute car).

BTW in the UK injury to your passengers is always included in the basic insurance, it's a legal requirement.

Still don't understand that £1.56 per day.:confused:

Road tax is payable annually (or for 6 months minimum), they can't tax the car by the day. There are so many road tax bands (depends on the model's CO2 emissions) that the daily figure isn't a clue.

But as long as you know the cost it makes no odds.

BTW, do watch out for speed / traffic light cameras - or the rental company will get a fixed penalty ticket, which they charge to your card..

The objective is to prevent speeding rather than catching transgressors, so fixed cameras are very visible yellow boxes and their locations are freely available on the web.

http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/

If other traffic slows down, stick with them - it's probably because they know the local speed cameras. ;)

Many stretches of road works have temporary "average-speed" cameras set at the temporary speed limit. Those speed limits are very clearly signed, no worry if you accidentally exceed the limit here and there - the cameras at the start & finish of the roadworks are synchronised to capture those whose average speed is over the limit.

It certainly looks that way, Vic...BTW, do watch out for speed / traffic light cameras...The objective is to prevent speeding rather than catching transgressors, so fixed cameras are very visible yellow boxes and their locations are freely available on the web. http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/...

Thanks once again, John. You are The Man! Appreciate all your suggestions and advice. Shall keep an eye on the above site for speed cameras on our route to and from the West Country. There just might be a knighthood in this for you. Cheers...

It certainly looks that way, Vic :)

BTW, do watch out for speed / traffic light cameras - or the rental company will get a fixed penalty ticket, which they charge to your card..

The objective is to prevent speeding rather than catching transgressors, so fixed cameras are very visible yellow boxes and their locations are freely available on the web.

http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/

If other traffic slows down, stick with them - it's probably because they know the local speed cameras. ;)

There is an exception on motorways when the cameras are on overhead gantries. If you see a speed limit sign (red circle with a black number on a white background) on an overhead gantry, you can be sure that it will have accompanying cameras that you can't see.

For the most part they are visible, but if you just stick to the limits, you will stay out of trouble.

There is an exception on motorways when the cameras are on overhead gantries. If you see a speed limit sign (red circle with a black number on a white background) on an overhead gantry, you can be sure that it will have accompanying cameras that you can't see.
Following on from this point, ISTR that there's been a policy change in relation to these.

For background: the speed limit signs on the overhead gantries that are in lights are usually in areas where there is a variable speed limit. The speed limit is that which is displayed at that time. The cameras are on the gantries to provide instant and location-specific encouragement and enforcement to abide by the posted speed limit when the signs are on, because the traffic management objective depends on immediate compliance. The margin of error allowed by these cameras is consequently quite small.

When the lit signs are switched off, then the normal national motorway speed limit (70 mph) applies. It used to be the case that the cameras were also deactivated when the signs were switched off, so that you could rely on them only being on if the signs were lit, and adopt normal motorway driving speeds when the signs were off.

The policy change was that the cameras would remain active at all times. However, when the signs were switched off, the cameras would only be used to detect gross exceedances, so it remains reasonably safe to drive as normal. But it is worth being aware that these gantry cameras do remain on (unless there's been a further change of policy since then), especially as newcomers to our motorways may not be able immediately to identify a variable speed limit gantry as such when its signs are switched off.