Free GPS-enabled self-guided walking tours

Just found this excellent resource and hope it will help other travelers.

This website has a directory of GPS-enabled self-guided walking tours for cities all over the world. The ones I looked at are free! Using the example of the app for Halifax, it works offline so you don't need an internet connection or data plan to use it. So you wouldn't have roaming charges when using it.

When I downloaded the walking tour for Halifax, the app shows that it has 6000 guides for cities all over the world. The first five are free. The cadillac version is quite reasonable at about five bucks. I haven't tried out the free version yet but hope to put it to the test in two weeks!

Looks helpful, esp as we´re going to Granada (Spain) for a few days next month. I´m not very good with apps, so might have to download paper copy of map and look like a real tourist!

Sandy in Spain

Here are some other apps which might be worth a look, I´ve been making ongoing notes from other travel sites I use

• Second is map my ride. Which will monitor where I go and what I've fine Great for walking ports and using up those calories the ship brings

• Spotted By Locals -- Over fifty cities around the world, with information from people who know the low down. Can be accessed offline.

• App Box Pro: has just about every little "thing" I can need - a good calculator, currency converter, measurement converter, tip calculator, flashlight, mirror, Google apps…

• We use skyep

• I just started using Trover. Fun way to find things you may want to see in any given location.

• SKY WALK (on my iPad) a must for cruisers,,,

• U pack it.. It's an app to help you pack. Love it!

• Word Lens. No data connection needed and language packs are free now. Word lens works so-so in my limited experience but I think it might help you make reasonable guesses about words you don't recognize. Block fonts (e.g., signs) work better than weird fonts (e.g., menus).

• GPSmycity

They have both free walking tours themed for sights, shopping, restaurants etc, and a purchasable version to customize your walks.

I've saved money on self-guided tours on 4 continents.

• GoodReader, we use it copy copy everything we can think of, maps, confirmations, descriptions etc.

• Another vote for Tripit. I just have the free version, and it's great! I'm thinking hard about getting Tripit pro.

Sandy in Spain