What is the best way to get to this hotel from Civitavecchia?

alert

After I disembark at Civitavecchia. I am staying at the Comfort Hotel Bolivar, address is Via della Cordonata, 6, Roma, Italy. Wondering what is the best way to get to the hotel from the cruise terminal of Civitavecchia?

Is it possible to get there by public transportation?

Thanks so much.

When you say best please understand that best means something different to each person. For me it is a private car. For someone else it is the train.

Are you looking for the lower cost option or a more comfortable option.

Keith

I am mainly looking for the lower cost option. Thanks.

Okay, the least expensive option is:

1) take the free port shuttle from the ship to the temporary bus stop

2) take the bus to the Civitavecchia train station

3) take the train to Roma Termini

4) at Termini you have three options

A) walk the apprx 1 mile to hotel

B) take the #64 or #40 bus in front of Termini which takes you within a quarter mile of your hotel

C) take a cab (from Termini it should be under 10 euros)

It's been a while since I bought a train ticket, but the above options (minus the cab) would be less than $12 per person for the train and two buses.

Things to keep in mind:

1) there is no assistance with luggage on the train, or to and from train in this option. In Civitavecchia the train may depart from track two which will require you to carry your luggage up and down stairs. Additionally, not all trains are flat roll on/off - many have a set of step stairs which will require you to lift luggage up/down. If you have any mobility or lifting issues it can be a problem.

2) on the train there aren't luggage cars/compartments just overhead bins. If the train isn't busy this isn't a problem as people just stack their luggage wherever they can keep an eye on it (remember theft can occur if left unattended). However, if the train is busy luggage can be a nightmare. I recommend checking to see how many other ships will be in port the same day. One or two is no big deal - six or seven OUCH!

3) go to goggle maps and get a set of detailed instructions from Termini to your hotel. This will help you in your decision to walk, bus, cab or shuttle.

Recommended:

1) if you haven't already signed up for your cruises roll call please go do it. Normally there will be other people from your cruise looking to form a group for a shuttle into Rome. With a group you should anticipate paying between $25 to $40 per person (depends on number in group). Quite frankly while the cost is more than the train it's really worth it in my opinion - and my picture can be found in the dictionary under cheapskate.

2) if you do elect to take the train check out the Rome Tool Kit web site as it gives some pretty good detailed train instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

B) take the #64 or #40 bus in front of Termini which takes you within a quarter mile of your hotel

It's been a while since I bought a train ticket, but the above options (minus the cab) would be less than $12 per person for the train and two buses.

Things to keep in mind:

1) there is no assistance with luggage on the train, or to and from train in this option. In Civitavecchia the train may depart from track two which will require you to carry your luggage up and down stairs. Additionally, not all trains are flat roll on/off - many have a set of step stairs which will require you to lift luggage up/down. If you have any mobility or lifting issues it can be a problem.

2) on the train there aren't luggage cars/compartments just overhead bins. If the train isn't busy this isn't a problem as people just stack their luggage wherever they can keep an eye on it (remember theft can occur if left unattended). However, if the train is busy luggage can be a nightmare. I recommend checking to see how many other ships will be in port the same day. One or two is no big deal - six or seven OUCH!

3) go to goggle maps and get a set of detailed instructions from Termini to your hotel. This will help you in your decision to walk, bus, cab or shuttle.

Recommended:

1) if you haven't already signed up for your cruises roll call please go do it. Normally there will be other people from your cruise looking to form a group for a shuttle into Rome. With a group you should anticipate paying between $25 to $40 per person (depends on number in group). Quite frankly while the cost is more than the train it's really worth it in my opinion - and my picture can be found in the dictionary under cheapskate.

2) if you do elect to take the train check out the Rome Tool Kit web site as it gives some pretty good detailed train instructions.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I will take a look at the various options. Thanks again.

Things to keep in mind:

Recommended:

-If we take a cab "(from Termini it should be under 10 euros)". Is it hard to get a cab driver to take us since it is such a short distance ride.

-If we walk the 1 mile from the Termini to the hotel. Is it safe to walk in that area?

Thanks so much. It's just that we are on a tight budget.

-If we take a cab "(from Termini it should be under 10 euros)". Is it hard to get a cab driver to take us since it is such a short distance ride.

-If we walk the 1 mile from the Termini to the hotel. Is it safe to walk in that area?

Thanks so much. It's just that we are on a tight budget.

Yes, they'll take you that short of a distance. You may get a grimace or two though. :rolleyes: keep in mind besides the charge on the meter they'll be a "tax" of 1 euro per bag after the first bag - however this should all come to 10 or less.

So for not answering all the questions-my phone keeps dropping off!

As to safe, absolutely! Actually you'll just be one of many heading up the road doing the "bag drag" -- it's more the norm than not. As a single female traveling I find Rome quit safe. Crime for the most part is limited to pick pockets, not violent crime like we have in the states.