Best time to book hotel and rental car.....

A couple months ago I booked a hotel and rental car post cruise. Today I checked and found a rate $20 cheaper (from Budget to Dollar) for the rental car and then $12 cheaper same hotel. So I cancelled Budget and the hotel then reserved Dollar and re-booked the hotel. Both were able to be cancelled without penalty. Obviously, it's not a huge amount, but it's not a nickel either. Is there a better time than others to book the hotel and or the rental car? I'm going to check weekly until my cruise at the end of September to see any price drops.

There is no "best" time. You just have to do your research and monitor the prices. And do just like you did...take advantage of any drops you can get.

If there was a "best' time, everyone would wait until that minute, and buy. The businesses would figure this out, and raise the prices then!

There is no "best" time. You just have to do your research and monitor the prices. And do just like you did...take advantage of any drops you can get.

If there was a "best' time, everyone would wait until that minute, and buy. The businesses would figure this out, and raise the prices then!

Correct. It's pretty funny how people actually think some of the old myths are true. For example on another thread here someone said you always get the best airfare prices when you buy on a Tuesday...........:rolleyes:

I just wondered if others have seen any patterns. I agree it's just being diligent and periodically checking. It seems, though, that some rates drop when it's closer to departure. However, supply and demand is definitely a factor, and you don't want to assume anything and find out that there are no cars available or that the hotel is sold out, or that the prices have skyrocketed. I have learned that there are a lot of options and variances in prices, it's just doing the homework and taking the time to compare and check.

I do exactly like you have done. I book as soon as possible with one of the big companies that I have loyalty with or who discount AAA or AARP members. I always reserve the flexible rate -- where can cancel without penalty. I watch the prices as the days count down. About one month to 2 weeks or so before leaving, I check out all the prices again and then pay for the prepaid rate if it is a good savings. Sometimes is -- others times not.

You will need to have your paperwork to remind you of exactly what the price and conditions are for the room. Check and see how much breakfast rate is -- included breakfast can be up to $20 on the room rate and extra airline points or hotel points -- evaluate if the basic room rate is still better. If flexible and prepaid about the same price I stay with Flexible rate. Many hotels and car rentals send you email reminding you of your arrangements and I leave that on my email so I can show it if needed. Especially if I have cancelled a room and they charge me anyway -- that has happened more the last few years than before. (Sometimes I forget that I had a room or two :o and that can be a problem. ) Write down where you have put down a credit card deposit or hold.

A couple months ago I booked a hotel and rental car post cruise. Today I checked and found a rate $20 cheaper (from Budget to Dollar) for the rental car and then $12 cheaper same hotel. So I cancelled Budget and the hotel then reserved Dollar and re-booked the hotel. Both were able to be cancelled without penalty. Obviously, it's not a huge amount, but it's not a nickel either. Is there a better time than others to book the hotel and or the rental car? I'm going to check weekly until my cruise at the end of September to see any price drops.
This is very important. I will not book hotel/car rentals with restrictive cancellation

policies unless it is just before the actual date or the savings are really large. Really large!