wi-fi availability in the Dockyard area

DonnaK

I seem to recall reading in a review that one can purchase a wi-fi package for a nominal fee to use throughout the Dockyard area for the 3 days that the ship is in port. (I believe the reviewer said that he was even able to connect while out on his balcony onboard the ship) Of course, I can't find that review now, nor can I recall the details.

Does anyone have more info on this? Where to purchase, and cost???

Also, are there any places to get free Wi-Fi (perhaps with a purchase) in the dockyard area?

Edited by DonnaK

I have read in some reviews this wi-fi is very spotty and doesn't work well unless you are close to the bulding where it is purchased. Any experiences??

debbie

We were on the Dawn in June and we bought the 3 day internet package after we got there and we were able to access it from our balcony MOST of the time. Most people seemed to congregate near the gazebo area in the evening but I thought it seemed pretty strong throughout the Dockyard area just off the dock.

Reports of being able to access it from the ship are spotty but like I said we were able to use it on the balcony most of the time and I was using an iPad. Access was actually really good the first day we were there because we were the only ship in port. The Royal Caribbean ship joined us the 2nd and 3rd days and with a lot more people using it, things slowed down, especially the last night before we both left.

Dave

I have read in some reviews this wi-fi is very spotty and doesn't work well unless you are close to the bulding where it is purchased. Any experiences??

debbie

I just got back today. To say it is spotty is an understatement. If your not at the round building that sells it your not on it. There are wifi zone markers all over the dockyard but could not get it to work unless we were at the building.

Our routine was just to stop there for a few minutes before we got back on the ship.

We could access it while we were in Hamilton.

I purchased a 24 hour access ($10) in May and was able to connect with a very strong signal while sitting on the promenade deck 4 outside on the dock side. When I was on the pool deck, again dock side, the signal was very poor. A friend had no problem on his balcony, again dock side of the ship. When you have a good signal, it is a fast, clean service. I will do it again.

We had it last week, it's very spotty. Sometimes it connected on our balcony but only to facebook. Sometimes sitting right outside the gazebo we couldn't connect at all. As slow as the ship's wifi is, I'd probably go for it so I can access my email account, etc.

I was on the Dawn in July and I purchased a week pass for $19.99 from the Maritime Museum, and I was able to use it from the ship, no problem at all. I sat on a deck chair on deck 7, facing the dock. It was fabulous, connected every time I wanted it, for hours at a time (I was working on an online course). Highly recommend it - you will see it as a choice when you login.

OP here...just returned today.

The Dockyard Wi-Fi was very spotty, and quite frankly, frustrating to use. First of all, you couldn't buy the 3 day deal at the kiosk. You had to do it online with a credit card. Then, the signal was only strong if you were sitting outside the kiosk, with your back pressed up against the building.

Some of the time, we were able to get the signal while seated on the benches outside the kiosk, or under the gazebo. Also, some of the time we could pick up the signal from the outdoor promenade deck of the Summit, and other times, we couldn't.

My daughter bought the package using her iPad. When she went to log on the 2nd day, she got a message that her subscription had expired. So, she had to switch over to her iPhone, where she could log in without issue, but was more limited with her apps on the phone vs the pad.

OP here...just returned today.

The Dockyard Wi-Fi was very spotty, and quite frankly, frustrating to use. First of all, you couldn't buy the 3 day deal at the kiosk. You had to do it online with a credit card. Then, the signal was only strong if you were sitting outside the kiosk, with your back pressed up against the building.

Some of the time, we were able to get the signal while seated on the benches outside the kiosk, or under the gazebo. Also, some of the time we could pick up the signal from the outdoor promenade deck of the Summit, and other times, we couldn't.

My daughter bought the package using her iPad. When she went to log on the 2nd day, she got a message that her subscription had expired. So, she had to switch over to her iPhone, where she could log in without issue, but was more limited with her apps on the phone vs the pad.

We bought the TBI wifi - "wifi zone by TBi" , not the Dockyard wifi. There seems to be at least two different ones. The TBi is 3 day card from the gift shop right before the Froyo place. We are currently on Grandeur, I haven't had any issues with it. It does work better on deck 5 on whichever side is closest to port. The buildings in front say they are TBI wifi zones. The signal is a bit weaker on the pool deck. The wifi labelled Dockyard wifi sometimes shows up and sometime I can't see it. You do need to allow it time for the login screen to come up, after the initial activation, it comes up as a blank page that says success in the corner, just click done.

Edited by MonDreamr1

I found it a better deal for me to just purchase 1 hour for $3 each day. I would just buy a 1-hour voucher at the gift shop next to the gazebo before returning to the ship each day. I found I never had the need to use the internet for more than an hour at a time anyway - too many other things to see and do. It was still a much better deal than using the ship wifi.

I was not able to get a signal from our ship, and there was very little shade right next to the ship. There were more places to seek shade in the main dockyard area. (BTW, I was able to get a wifi signal at the Bonefish Restaurant and Pub but not the Frog and Onion. :p)

Sue

Edited by SandG

I found it a better deal for me to just purchase 1 hour for $3 each day. I would just buy a 1-hour voucher at the gift shop next to the gazebo before returning to the ship each day. I found I never had the need to use the internet for more than an hour at a time anyway - too many other things to see and do. It was still a much better deal than using the ship wifi.

I was not able to get a signal from our ship, and there was very little shade right next to the ship. There were more places to seek shade in the main dockyard area. (BTW, I was able to get a wifi signal at the Bonefish Restaurant and Pub but not the Frog and Onion. :p)

Sue

Funny, we were not able to get it at Bonefish. We used the Frog and Onion free wifi while there.

I found it a better deal for me to just purchase 1 hour for $3 each day. I would just buy a 1-hour voucher at the gift shop next to the gazebo before returning to the ship each day.

<...>

(BTW, I was able to get a wifi signal at the Bonefish Restaurant and Pub but not the Frog and Onion. :p)

Sue

Funny, we were not able to get it at Bonefish. We used the Frog and Onion free wifi while there.

Oooo ... If I'd known I could have gotten free wifi at the Frog and Onion, I would have saved myself $3. :)

Sue

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What amount of purchase is expected at the Frog and Onion to get access to their password?

One of the local papers did a story about the wifi coverage (of course, they couldn't do it from the ship).

Frog & Onion is a great place to enjoy a lunch and free wifi! Tip the waitresses cash directly as management takes a 45% cut of tips left on cards.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/BUSINESS/Business/Article/WiFi-Zone-is-fast--but-coverage-is-limited/72/205/70124

One of the local papers did a story about the wifi coverage (of course, they couldn't do it from the ship).

Frog & Onion is a great place to enjoy a lunch and free wifi! Tip the waitresses cash directly as management takes a 45% cut of tips left on cards.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/BUSINESS/Business/Article/WiFi-Zone-is-fast--but-coverage-is-limited/72/205/70124

That's allowed in Bermuda? We have laws against that in the US. I will definitely leave a cash tip next time. Do they do the same at other Bermuda establishments? I believe Frog and Onion, Hog Penny and Pickled Onion have the same ownership.